PDA

View Full Version : External subtitle support for Sony PS3 & Bravia KDL TVs - e.g. .SRT files

Simran
08-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Would love to see external subtitle support for Sony PS3 & Bravia KDL TVs - e.g. .SRT files.

Ideally this would allow an individual subtitle streams to be set for each video file, allowing different languages and file locations per video file. This approach would also allow switching between subtitle languages - ideally whilst the video file is being played, but a backup would be to change it via the Mezzmo GUI prior to playing it.

Paul
08-16-2010, 08:55 AM
This is unfortunately based on the device itself, the software players on the PS3 and Bravia don't support SRT subtitles, so we can't deliver them to the device. If a firmware update enables such support, Mezzmo will gladly deliver external subtitles of course :)

With the next major update to Mezzmo including burning subtitles into a video, it'll be at least possible to see your subtitles on screen, albeit you won't be able to change them without re-transcoding.

Signify
09-07-2010, 01:57 AM
Other DLNA servers can handle this by transcoding the video and .srt/.sub into a compatible stream. Wouldn't that be a way to support subtitles to players that do not support subtitle files natively?

RMerlin
09-07-2010, 02:09 AM
That's exactly what they said they were doing, in Paul's second part of his answer :)

Paul
09-07-2010, 11:09 AM
RMerlin is right - the current version of Mezzmo supports streaming .SRT/.SUB files to players that support external subtitle files.

The next major release of Mezzmo will contain a variety of subtitle solutions - including "burning" subtitles into the (transcoded) video for players that do not support subtitles in any form. As soon as it is ready, we will release it.

Cypher
11-23-2010, 11:12 AM
The next major release of Mezzmo will contain a variety of subtitle solutions - including "burning" subtitles into the (transcoded) video for players that do not support subtitles in any form. As soon as it is ready, we will release it.

Any ETA on subtitle support for Xbox360 and PS3?

Cypher
04-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Did this feature get scrapped? I've been waiting for this since forever, heck it's the main reason I bought mezzmo.

Paul
04-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Sorry for the delay. We will certainly have more extensive subtitling features in Mezzmo and have already developed much of what is required. In recent months, we have been busy on fixing/improving other issues. We hope to get back to subtitling very soon. Many users ask for this feature and we know it is required for DLNA devices that do not support external subtitles.

Didacta
07-07-2011, 11:05 AM
First all, must say I love the Mezzmo's simplicity and performance. Great job!

But... sadly, I have a Bravia TV and was unable to use *.SRT subtitles (or other any other subtitle format).
Does exist any chance to see the "burning" subtitles implemented in the short term?
Thanks in advance.

Paul
07-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Yes, the next major update of Mezzmo will include an option to burn subtitles in.

VinceA
07-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Will the new version be able show subs from an MP4 file? I rip most of my anime DVDs to MP4s and they contain multiple audio tracks and subtitle tracks.

Paul
07-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Will the new version be able show subs from an MP4 file? I rip most of my anime DVDs to MP4s and they contain multiple audio tracks and subtitle tracks.
Yes, I think so. What format are the actual subtitle tracks in?

badbob001
07-15-2011, 03:57 AM
I hope the new subtitle engine supports more than just latin characters. Many chinese SRT files are in GB-2312 format, but my tv (samsung ln52b750) or even xbmc didn't support it directly (splayer did). I went to http://www.mandarintools.com/zhcode.html and converted it to "utf-8 traditional" and it now worked in xbmc but still not on my TV.

So for the new hard subtitle burn-in feature, please support at least unicode. Thanks!
example srt: http://subscene.com/chinese-bg-code/Ip-Man-AKA-Grandmaster-Yip-Man/subtitle-195302.aspx

Paul
07-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes, we'll be sure to support Unicode and thank you for a sample subtitle file - we'll use it for testing as well.

VinceA
07-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Yes, I think so. What format are the actual subtitle tracks in?
Good question. Whatever format either Handbrake or Nero Recode use to store subtitle tracks inside an MP4.

Paul
07-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Good question. Whatever format either Handbrake or Nero Recode use to store subtitle tracks inside an MP4.
We'll test those, but I assume they'll be one of the "standard" formats, so we should support them.

COLT45UK
07-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Posted on 08-15-2010

With the next major update to Mezzmo including burning subtitles into a video, it'll be at least possible to see your subtitles on screen, albeit you won't be able to change them without re-transcoding.
Posted on 09-07-2010

(Yea, almost a year now, any chance of ETA?)

Posted on 04-21-2011

Did this feature get scrapped? I've been waiting for this since forever, heck it's the main reason I bought mezzmo.
That's the reason I don't buy it, till all the features I need are fully working then I will buy it but without burn in subtitles, I just can't see the point buying it because currently I can simply plug my USB HDD to the back of my TV (annoying but free!)

Posted on 04-22-2011

Sorry for the delay. We will certainly have more extensive subtitling features in Mezzmo and have already developed much of what is required. In recent months, we have been busy on fixing/improving other issues. We hope to get back to subtitling very soon. Many users ask for this feature and we know it is required for DLNA devices that do not support external subtitles.
Long delay

Posted on 07-07-2011

First all, must say I love the Mezzmo's simplicity and performance. Great job!

But... sadly, I have a Bravia TV and was unable to use *.SRT subtitles (or other any other subtitle format).
Does exist any chance to see the "burning" subtitles implemented in the short term?
Thanks in advance.
I feel the same, Mezzmo looks nice, nice video quality but still lack of "burning in subtitle".

Posted on 07-07-2011

Yes, the next major update of Mezzmo will include an option to burn subtitles in.
When will there be the next major update? - I'd suggest add now as there are lots of people have been waiting for this for long time :p

Posted on 07-13-2011 http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/1719-Mezzmo-development-roadmap-amp-estimated-timelines

Hi Simran,

There'll be an update coming out with some new features and lots of fixes very soon (within the next couple of weeks).

Then, there's another update planned not far from it (3-4 weeks after?) with another new feature and then (if no major bugs are introduced in those two updates :) ) it's on a straight path to the next major update.

That's probably as precise (or as vague) as I can be :)
Any chance of extend trial version? If not, then I hope that the major update will happpen real soon or before the end of my trial! :D

Paul
07-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Sorry that this feature has not been delivered to you as yet. We agree that it is an important feature. It is being developed and it will be a free upgrade for registered users. As you mention, we are behind schedule since we are finishing several other important features (e.g. pre-transcoding). Once done, then we will concentrate on getting burning subtitles to you all. Thanks for your continued patience.

jeffreybc55
07-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Sorry that this feature has not been delivered to you as yet. We agree that it is an important feature. It is being developed and it will be a free upgrade for registered users. As you mention, we are behind schedule since we are finishing several other important features (e.g. pre-transcoding). Once done, then we will concentrate on getting burning subtitles to you all. Thanks for your continued patience.

I tried to read this whole thread, but here's something I do know..... When I used to use PS3 Media Server, that program was able to use SRT files and send the subs to my PS3 ..... (also able to turn on and off at will) - does it really have to be that we have to burn them in with Mezzmo?

Paul
07-22-2011, 09:17 AM
As far as I know, the PS3 supports subtitles embedded in an AVI (DivX) file, but I don't think it supports external subtitles. I just tried PS3MS and it transcodes files with SRT subtitles to merge them into a video stream. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though and be able to implement external SRT files for the PS3 :)

Daeron
07-23-2011, 11:05 AM
As far as I know, the PS3 supports subtitles embedded in an AVI (DivX) file, but I don't think it supports external subtitles. I just tried PS3MS and it transcodes files with SRT subtitles to merge them into a video stream. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though and be able to implement external SRT files for the PS3

I have been using PS3 Media server as an alternative to Mezzmo for external subtitles, and they work just fine as long as you name the .srt file equal to the movie file. I bought mezzmo because I had some issues with ps3 media server bandwith but I'm not really using it because the lack of external subtitles.

I can say that the video quality of mezzmo seems a bit better than PS3 media server but the lack of external subtitles really kills it for me.

We all seem to have waited a long time for this update, hope it comes sooner than later

Paul
07-25-2011, 09:05 AM
I have been using PS3 Media server as an alternative to Mezzmo for external subtitles, and they work just fine as long as you name the .srt file equal to the movie file. I bought mezzmo because I had some issues with ps3 media server bandwith but I'm not really using it because the lack of external subtitles.

Can you please confirm (if you know) that the PS3MS transcodes files with external subtitles? The transcoding buffer grows when you try to play such files, right?

COLT45UK
07-31-2011, 04:56 AM
PS3MS works for me, just tried it and thanks Daeron for that :)

Will use PS3MS for now till this Mezzmo have that subtitle sorted, then i will buy it, but right now my trial is about to expire so it's pointless to keep testing them!

automatonamaton
08-08-2011, 01:35 AM
im another very interested customer that finds mezzmo to be everything i need except for this feature. just checking in to say i will be purchasing this software to replace my current solution the moment this feature is added.

Torre
09-30-2011, 05:33 AM
... and I'm running version 2.4.3.0
Shouldn't there be an option for subtitles that could be used for Sony Bravia by now ?

Paul
09-30-2011, 08:29 AM
The subtitles engine will be part of the next major update (v3, I guess).

qupncy
09-30-2011, 06:04 PM
The subtitles engine will be part of the next major update (v3, I guess).

Looking at mezzmo's last few updates (have been increasing by 0.0.1 per update) is it fair to say v3 is at least 6 months away?

Paul
10-03-2011, 09:00 AM
I really can't officially comment on the estimated release dates :) v2.5 is planned to be released soon (with pre-transcoding) and after that all efforts will be concentrated on finishing v3.

mrmiakel
11-05-2011, 05:20 AM
i also used ps3 mediaserver previously. the subtitles work perfectly there.. only problem is i have alot problems with video's stuttering.

that made me go to Mezzmo, and thus far i'm really fond of it EXCEPT about not being able to use srt(and or .idx) files on my ps3.

i'll hope this feature will be implemented REALLY soon. when that time has come ill definitely buy it.

tcviper
12-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Same here, im using PS3MS for now (next to Plex) to stream to my ps3, sony bravia and bdp-s580 bluray player untill Mezzmo can hopefully one day throw in the .srt or .sub files and use it with the transcoding on the fly to the TV/PS3 etc.

Would really love to see this feature, thank you team!

Does Mezzmo support browsing .rar and .iso files yet btw? PS3MS can also do this, no need to extract anything.

Paul
12-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Would really love to see this feature, thank you team!

As soon as we can get the upcoming version released, our major focus is on subtitling.

Does Mezzmo support browsing .rar and .iso files yet btw? PS3MS can also do this, no need to extract anything.

Not yet. It is on our development list.

pmcd
12-05-2011, 04:36 PM

What about support for external idx/sub subtitles? It would be nice to have these transcoded on the fly so to speak.

philip

Paul
12-05-2011, 04:44 PM
What about support for external idx/sub subtitles? It would be nice to have these transcoded on the fly so to speak.

If a device supports playing external subtitle files via DLNA, then the current version of Mezzmo streams these external subtitle files to these devices right now. Most people are posting on this thread to request subtitling support for DLNA devices that do not support playing external subtitles (such as Sony Bravia TVs). The source of the subtitles to burn in may be from external subtitle files, subtitle channels within a file container, etc. We have confirmed that the next major version of Mezzmo will have a new subtitle engine that transcodes or burns in subtitles into the actual video. That will let users watch subtitles on these DLNA devices.

pmcd
12-05-2011, 06:38 PM
If a device supports playing external subtitle files via DLNA, then the current version of Mezzmo streams these external subtitle files to these devices right now. Most people are posting on this thread to request subtitling support for DLNA devices that do not support playing external subtitles (such as Sony Bravia TVs). The source of the subtitles to burn in may be from external subtitle files, subtitle channels within a file container, etc. We have confirmed that the next major version of Mezzmo will have a new subtitle engine that transcodes or burns in subtitles into the actual video. That will let users watch subtitles on these DLNA devices.

But all the discussion seems to be about text subtitles. Idx/sub subtitles are pictures. They are quite different than .srt or .smi. I am not sure that DLNA itself allows for subs that are not text for any device. I assume that you are not talking about transcoding in real time?

Philip

Paul
12-06-2011, 09:07 AM
But all the discussion seems to be about text subtitles. Idx/sub subtitles are pictures. They are quite different than .srt or .smi. I am not sure that DLNA itself allows for subs that are not text for any device. I assume that you are not talking about transcoding in real time?

Our new Mezzmo subtitle engine will have IDX/SUB image-based subtitle support, and they will be able to be burnt into videos just like text-based subtitles such as SRT, SMI, etc.

Kosire
12-13-2011, 11:35 AM
So... guys, it's been over a year now since you talked about this upcoming new subtitle engine...

Sorry to type this in caps but... WHERE THE HECK IS IT? :(

Paul
12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Sorry for the delays, I know how frustrating that can be. It's scheduled to be released early next year. At the moment all efforts are concentrated on finishing the pre-transcoding feature, but after that we'll work on testing the subtitle engine and preparing it for release.

jorgeaaabr
01-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Guys, I was following this thread for over a year... Version 2.5 was released, and I'm about to buy it to use with a Samsung TV. But the issue with the external subtitles for PS3 persists, I've already tested it a while ago.

So, I want to know, FOR REAL, that if I buy this software now, soon I'll receive an update (v. 3 or whatever) for FREE to fix it. Can you confirm this to me?

And by "soon" I mean in the next three months or so...

I can't believe that some guys coded PS3MS streaming srts to PS3 three years ago and conceiva still didnīt...

Please, I need an answer soon, my trial period is expiring...

Thank you.

Paul
02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
I can confirm that the update will be free and yes, most likely it'll be released within the next three months.

The PS3MS had that, yes, but it didn't have many of the other features that Mezzmo has. It's a question of where development efforts are aimed, but I agree, the subtitle engine has been cooking for a while now.

jorgeaaabr
02-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks Dennis, just bought it, hope to see this update soon. It is indeed the best media server I found, and I tried a lot of them. The smartlists are an excellent feature.

luanrafe
07-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Hello! I am new here, but i need to now something. I bought Mezzmo last month, and this month i bought a PS3 and i am beeing forced to use PS3MS (a free software) to stream my medias for the ps3, because all the videos i watch need subtitles (my born language is portuguese).

The version of Mezzmo is already 2.6.4. Have it already the feature to stream videos with external subtitles for ps3? This is absolutelly the most important feature for me, and i am feeling a little bit bad, for buying something that do not attend my needs as well as a free software.

In the last topic you said that it wolud be released up to may... wea are already in july!

If it has beeing already released, could you teach me how to use it?

Paul
07-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Sorry - the burning subtitles feature has not been released as yet and it has taken longer than expected. We are working on it right now and expect it to be released in the coming months. It will be a free upgrade to all registered users.

tcviper
07-23-2012, 02:37 AM
Hoping to hear something about the subtitle support, i also hve a question about that, will it support both built in subtitles and external subs like .srt?

Paul
07-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Hoping to hear something about the subtitle support, i also hve a question about that, will it support both built in subtitles and external subs like .srt?

The new subtitling features are progressing well & will be released in a few months. Mezzmo will support all popular external subtitle formats, embedded formats and also allow for burning into subtitles into video so that no matter what device you have, you will be able to see your preferred subtitles when watching movies, TV shows, etc. I'll post back here as we get closer to the the release.

jmmontoro
07-29-2012, 04:51 PM
When you say burning, does that mean that the subtitles will be "pasted" over the video when transcoding? That's what I expect it to be, but I know there's a burn to disc feature but I never used it, and I hope the subtitle support has no dependence on burning the final video to a disk.

Paul
07-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Your expectation is correct - subtitle burning means "pasting" the subtitle text over the video whilst transcoding.

xeon
08-29-2012, 04:18 AM
Any news about support for external subtitles to resolve the limitations as the series of Sony Bravia TV (EXs)?

Sorry for my English.

Paul
08-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Any news about support for external subtitles to resolve the limitations as the series of Sony Bravia TV (EXs)?

We're just finishing development of burning subtitles now so that you will be able to watch movies & TV shows with subtitles on Sony Bravia TVs. We're hoping to release this in the next few months.

Posio
08-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Dear Paul,
We still (from january) can read here "few months". Can you give for us more specific time ?

Paul
09-03-2012, 10:16 AM
We still (from january) can read here "few months". Can you give for us more specific time ?

Hi Posio,

Sorry - "...the next few months" is the best I can give you for the moment. It is the #1 feature we are developing for the next major version of Mezzmo, so we want to get it right.

Heffaklump
09-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Keep up the good work, we all know that old saying that all things we plan to do takes three times longer than planned. And over the last couple of years I've noticed that this is especially true in the programming world. Be it games, Android upgrades or the computer stuff I work with it. Almost always takes more time to finish. Especially since you find fun things down the road you also want to get fixed.

But keep working on that BRAVIA KDL 2011 profile and I'll be a happy camper (customer) ;)

Paul
09-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for your support, Heffaklump.

tcviper
09-16-2012, 10:46 PM
In July you said a few months, we are finishing development on subtitle support.
It's half September and Im wondering, any ETA now? Sorry to bother so much about this but it really is the only reason i cannot use Mezzmo at this moment.
We want to switch away from PS3Mediaserver and others asap, but it's the only one atm that can burn in subtitles.

Thank you!

Paul
09-17-2012, 09:40 AM
We are preparing a new version (v2.7) for release this week. It contains all the latest fixes, patches, improvements and device profiles we've made during Mezzmo v2.6.x. Once released, then we'll concentrate our efforts on releasing Mezzmo v3.0. Development is mostly done for this major new release (including subtitling). We've still got a lot of testing to do though. Thanks for your patience. Sorry it has taken longer than expected.