PDA

View Full Version : Remote Access/Content Sharing - URL Streaming

mark11
07-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Just jumping on the band wagon...

Remote Access...

Love to be able access my content on iOS, Android.. or other PCs not on my network.

URL Steaming...

Love to be able to stream external URL/website content/file locker stuff to my in network devices.

JohnM
07-25-2013, 08:54 AM
You can access content via iOS and Android already. On iOS the paid version of 8Player works well. For Android I use Bubble UPnP and MX player. I suspect that what you are really asking is a way to use the devices across a 3g/4g connection. This can be done but it is a little complicated. You need to set up the router and firewalls to permit it. The router will need to be told that when it gets a request from port x (x depends on the player you are using) to forward that request to the ip address of your Mezzmo server : port. Then you need to tell the portable what ip address : port to send the request to. That would be the external ip address of your router. Now it gets more complicated if your external ip address changes (most ip v4 home addresses do). In that case you will need to use dynamic dns (there are several available). It will allow you to use a name and will map it to that changing ip address. Note that the same thing holds true if you want to use a different PC. Mezzmo can not send an announcement across the internet so you need to know the addresses. There are web pages describing what you need to do to get 8Player across the 3g. That info should help you get the other two also.

mark11
08-07-2013, 03:42 PM
You can access content via iOS and Android already. On iOS the paid version of 8Player works well. For Android I use Bubble UPnP and MX player. I suspect that what you are really asking is a way to use the devices across a 3g/4g connection. This can be done but it is a little complicated. You need to set up the router and firewalls to permit it. The router will need to be told that when it gets a request from port x (x depends on the player you are using) to forward that request to the ip address of your Mezzmo server : port. Then you need to tell the portable what ip address : port to send the request to. That would be the external ip address of your router. Now it gets more complicated if your external ip address changes (most ip v4 home addresses do). In that case you will need to use dynamic dns (there are several available). It will allow you to use a name and will map it to that changing ip address. Note that the same thing holds true if you want to use a different PC. Mezzmo can not send an announcement across the internet so you need to know the addresses. There are web pages describing what you need to do to get 8Player across the 3g. That info should help you get the other two also.

Yes.... A bit complicated.

As examples.... Skifta and Plex allow you to remote access content. I am hopeful my favorite dnla streamer goes in that direction.

Paul
08-08-2013, 09:36 AM
I am hopeful my favorite dnla streamer goes in that direction.

It certainly is in our plans :)