PDA

View Full Version : Noob Questions

Harry
08-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Hi,

I'm a new user of Mezzmo and I set up everything as described in forums and on the web site. However I run into few problems, so can you please clarify me few things:

1. Using Mezzmo it doesn't Rew/fwd. I read it on forums, then it does Rew/FWd, but it is not doing in my case. Could it because of my WI FI router or something like that?

2, How important is the router in this whole set up? I'm actually using DiInk DI-624 Router & its about 4 years old. It doesn't support WI FI N standard. Could that be an issue? Do you recommend changing it to something new?

3. I have a Samsung 8 Series LED, Mezzmo doesn't come up with Artwork or anything in the Samsung interface? Is that normal? Is there anyway I can improve that interface, may be like windows Media Center or something like that.

Thanks & Regards,
Harry

Paul
08-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi Harry,

I think you've contacted support, but the e-mail you've provided bounced our replies to you :)

To answer your questions:

The Samsung TVs do not support FF/REW when serving files via DLNA (it even mentions this in the manual), but they do support "skipping" using your left/right (or back/forward) buttons. If you hold that button down, skipping will become faster. This is a hardware limitation of the TV and Mezzmo cannot do anything about it unfortunately (until Samsung fix their firmware).

The router as such should not play an important role, however, please be aware that it's close to impossible to stream high-def videos over a Wireless 54bps connection. Using an "N" connection may help in this case.

On the TV you don't see artwork when playing music or when browsing folders?

Harry
08-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks Dennis.

Oh I thought Samsung did fixed that Rew/FF thing with their firmware update. May be I checked some other model or something else. But the weird thing is that even that skipping is not very uniform.Sometimes it just works fine, sometimes it just starts from beginning. So that's a real pain. But as you said its the limitation of the TV.

No it doesn't display any artwork or album info when browsing folders. Coming from Windows Media center, that seems to me a bit bland and very boring interface.

Paul
08-17-2010, 05:09 PM
If the file is currently being transcoded, then it may restart skipping from the beginning - I'll need to double-check that on our test Samsung TV here.

The interface mostly depends on the specific TV series/model. If you can turn on diagnostic logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging), then browse a folder which should have thumbnails, stop the server and send the logs to the support e-mail (but please, do it from a different address than before), I'll take a look at what's going on.

Harry
08-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks Dennis. How do I check if its still trans coding? All my Media is on external drive, so does that make a difference?

Paul
08-18-2010, 01:31 PM
In the current version of Mezzmo the only way to check is to launch Task Manager and see if there's an "ffmpeg.exe" running (and also if your CPU usage it high - over 30-40%). You can also check your transcoding folder to see if any files are growing in size.