PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo crashing WDTV Live Hub

robertp
08-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Hi,

Ever since upgrading Mezzmo to version 3.3.0.0, my WDTV Live Hub is crashing at random intervals (From 1 to 20 mins) when streaming a video.

Playing the exact same video files via USB plugged directly into WDTV does not cause the same issue. It is not related to any 1 video file, nor is there a common time frame, it just happens when it happens.

Has anything change in 3.3.0.0 in regards to WDTV's? It is getting really annoying because it doesnt just exit the video and go back to the menu, but causes a complete failure and reboot.

Paul
08-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Nothing has changed for any of the WD TV Live device profiles for v3.3.0.0. A few things to try:

Sometimes the problem you are getting can be caused by your router. Turn off your router for 1 minute or so and then turn it back on again. Try streaming now.
If no better, try deleting your WD TV Liv Hub device from the Media Devices dialog and then let Mezzmo auto detect it again. After it is re-listed in the Media Devices dialog, make sure it using the right device profile (WD TV Live Hub) and try streaming again.
If still no success, it's best we see a set of logs. Turn on logging in Mezzmo (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Use your WD TV Live as you normally do and when a video stops suddenly streaming midway, then stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

robertp
08-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Hi Paul,

Weird, I had already rebooted the router multiple times, however after enabling logging, and deleting the WDTV Live Hub profile and letting it be rediscovered, its working flawlessly again...

Thanks for the help!

Paul
08-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Glad you are up and running again :) Thanks for posting back.

robertp
09-12-2013, 02:26 AM
Hi Paul,

Me again :-/. So I seemed to have narrowed the problem down a little. Everytime I reboot my system, the WDTV will constantly hard reset after 1-20mins of streaming MKV's (haven't tried any other formats).

Deleting the WDTV profile, and letting it be rediscovered resolves the issue... until the next restart. Thankfully I don't restart that often, but its getting to be a pain. I'm not sure if it happens if I just close and reopen Mezzmo either since I always leave it running.

About to try an uninstall and reinstall to see if that helps.

jbinkley60
09-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Hi Paul,

Me again :-/. So I seemed to have narrowed the problem down a little. Everytime I reboot my system, the WDTV will constantly hard reset after 1-20mins of streaming MKV's (haven't tried any other formats).

Deleting the WDTV profile, and letting it be rediscovered resolves the issue... until the next restart. Thankfully I don't restart that often, but its getting to be a pain. I'm not sure if it happens if I just close and reopen Mezzmo either since I always leave it running.

About to try an uninstall and reinstall to see if that helps.

Have you tried having Mezzmo track your clients by IP address and not MAC address ? For this to work you'll need to add a static IP address to your WD box, if you are currently using DHCP. Just a thought, if this is related to some ARP forwarding issue through your router.

Paul
09-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Another thing to to try is to increase the advertisement interval for Mezzmo server from 30 minutes to 24 hours. Several Samsung owners have reported that this helped fix their 1-20min disconnection issues. See this FAQ to adjust the advertisement interval - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/6245-FAQ-Change-the-default-SSDP-advertisement-interval

Dion
09-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi Paul,

Weird, I had already rebooted the router multiple times, however after enabling logging, and deleting the WDTV Live Hub profile and letting it be rediscovered, its working flawlessly again...

Thanks for the help!

Well I was going to tell you the solution. Stop the server.. Change the profile to anything. Hit okay. Then change it back to the Hub Profile.

But you seem to have found the fix yourself.

It seems to get reset sometimes while NOT actually showing it being changed. Hopefully support can fix this bug.

robertp
09-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Another thing to to try is to increase the advertisement interval for Mezzmo server from 30 minutes to 24 hours. Several Samsung owners have reported that this helped fix their 1-20min disconnection issues. See this FAQ to adjust the advertisement interval - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/6245-FAQ-Change-the-default-SSDP-advertisement-interval

Hi Paul,

The problem is, this only started happening after the upgrade to 3.3.1. And nothing else has changed on my computer/network side. It's been working flawlessly for about 6 months without having to touch a thing.

It isn't causing a disconnection of the stream either, it is causing the WDTV to hard crash and reboot. Deleting the WDTV profile fixes the issues until the next time I reboot my computer.

I've just reinstalled Mezzmo, and will try stream for a few days and do a few reboots in between to see if I can narrow it down a bit or see if the problem is resolved.

robertp
09-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Have you tried having Mezzmo track your clients by IP address and not MAC address ? For this to work you'll need to add a static IP address to your WD box, if you are currently using DHCP. Just a thought, if this is related to some ARP forwarding issue through your router.

My WDTV and Computer are both assigned static IP's. Literally, nothing has changed on the network side in months. The only thing that happened was the upgrade to 3.3.1. Reboots of the WDTV while streaming started occurring immediately after.

jbinkley60
09-12-2013, 06:07 PM
My WDTV and Computer are both assigned static IP's. Literally, nothing has changed on the network side in months. The only thing that happened was the upgrade to 3.3.1. Reboots of the WDTV while streaming started occurring immediately after.

If you have static IPs then trying IP tracking vs. MAC address tracking would be easy to see if that resolves things.

Paul
09-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Hi robertp,

It's best we see a set of logs when this occurs. Turn on logging (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Stream some videos as normal and when the problem occurs, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

robertp
09-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Logging is turned on now, will send them after the next crash

robertp
09-17-2013, 02:17 AM
Email sent to your support address with the logs

Paul
09-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks - we'll analyze them and report back via email.

crikko
09-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Hi guys. I'm having the same problem, is there any resolution?

Paul
09-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Are you running Mezzmo v3.4.1? If not, upgrade and try again.

Also, try these fixes for the possible causes:

Sometimes the problem you are getting can be caused by your router. Turn off your router for 1 minute or so and then turn it back on again. Try streaming now.
If no better, try deleting your WD TV Liv Hub device from the Media Devices dialog and then let Mezzmo auto detect it again. After it is re-listed in the Media Devices dialog, make sure it using the right device profile (WD TV Live Hub) and try streaming again.
If still no success, it's best we see a set of logs. Turn on logging in Mezzmo (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Use your WD TV Live as you normally do and when a video stops suddenly streaming midway, then stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

user_name
09-30-2013, 12:47 AM
I don't know if the previous Mezzmo version worked cause I just bought it a few weeks ago but I have the same problem with two different WD TV Live.
Both are connected via Ethernet and the WD hangs and crashes, automatically restarts, after some minutes.

robertp
09-30-2013, 04:57 AM
Hi crikko and user_name. Thank god I am not the only one experiencing this.

I have been talking to Paul, and we have narrowed it down to files that do not have thumbnails seem to be causing the WDTV to crash. This is to do with files that are streamed to the WDTV before the Mezzmo "Maintain Library" has run which is usually scheduled for once a day. Below is a reply I got from Paul based on logs I provided.

They show the same problem - i.e. your WD device asks Mezzmo for a certain thumbnail, but Mezzmo does not have it & responds to your WD with a 404 response. Your WD does not like this and keeps requesting the thumbnail 100's of times and eventually reboots. The first problem is that the WD's firmware has a bug where it keeps requesting the thumbnails even though Mezzmo server says it does not have it. The proper thing to do is to abort requesting it and display a placeholder image instead. Check that you have the latest firmware for your WD TV Live Hub. There may be an update that fixes this problem.

I have streamed files all weekend that have been processed by Mezzmo's Maintain Library function without issue. Once I start playing a file that has not been processed yet, I will have a crash occur, varying in time between crashes of 1-30mins.

The next thing I will try is to downgrade Mezzmo to 3.2.0.0 (http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/6026-FAQ-How-to-download-older-versions-of-Mezzmo) and see if this stops crashing occuring with files that have not been processed yet.

Would be a help if you guys could try this as well.

Paul
09-30-2013, 09:36 AM
We have a patch available that should get you back up and running. Email us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.