PDA

View Full Version : Garbled SRT subtitles on Samsung TV

jeauxbleaux
09-17-2013, 08:24 AM
I am running Mezzmo v3.2.0.0 on Windows Server 2003R2 with all updates and patches. This installation functions as a DLNA server to an assortment of devices, including a Samsung C Series TV (with the Samsung D profile) and laptops and Android phones / tablets running XBMC. Transcoding and embedded subtitles are OFF for all devices. My video files include MKV, MP4, WMV, AVI and MPEG. I use only external SRT files for streamed subtitles.

Everything has worked flawlessly on all devices up until recently, when I noticed that non ASCII characters (above 127 decimal / 7E Hex) were garbled on the Samsung TV. So far I have tried changing the device profile, adding preferred subtitle languages in the options dialog, changing the code page, all to no avail. I also tried upgrading to v3.3.1.0, but the problem remains.

1. Non-English characters (ASCII 129-255 decimal / A1-FF hex) either are either garbled or dropped, depending on the code page selected. The same characters PREVIEW properly using code pages 0 or 1252.
2. The error only occurs on the Samsung TV, and only with subtitles. For example, non-English characters in titles are correctly displayed.
3. This problem did NOT exist before my upgrade to v3. I know this because there are several subtitle files now exhibiting this problem that worked perfectly before the upgrade.

I’m led to conclude that this is a device-specific problem. Since I use English subtitles, not too many characters are affected, mostly proper names. It’s not a catastrophe, but it is irritating. Is there any way to fix this?

All help appreciated.

Paul
09-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Please email one of the external subtitle files to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll try it here with our Samsung C-series TV.

jeauxbleaux
09-19-2013, 12:58 PM
I've sent you two SRT files with 8 bit characters (I guess they are not ASCII, but Windows-1252 characters). They appear fairly early. Check them out and let me know whether you also see the problem.

By the way, I upgraded to v3.4.0.0, but there is no change to subtitle behavior.

Thanks a lot.

Paul
09-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks - we'll test them here and report back via email.