PDA

View Full Version : Device Advice

somedude
10-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Hi All,
I have been using Mezzmo for well over a year now and I love it. What I don't love is the price I am still paying for directv. I am thinking of canceling it.
My dilemma is that I have four televisions, two have xbox 360s attached to them and one has a ps3. That leaves one without anything for me to stream to.
I'd like some sort of wireless enabled device I can stream to with mezzmo, preferrably something that can also do Amazon, hulu plus or netflix. With an HDMI out.

Any advice?

Thanks,
SomeDude

Paul
10-20-2013, 11:21 AM
One worth considering is a WD TV Live Hub. It's a nice nice media player, has HDMI out and has some online services as well. Mezzmo streams very well to these. Read more at http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=570

somedude
10-22-2013, 09:28 AM
I looked that up, and it does everything I want, but at that price, I can get an xbox 360 with a 4GB drive for $179.

I was hoping something more in line with a roku box, price wise, but with the ability to stream from mezzmo.

Paul
10-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Understand. Roku boxes do not support DLNA so you can rule them out. You can get a WD TV Live media player (~$80) and they work great with Mezzmo. That's probably your cheapest option but is also a decent media player with good format support.

FreeRyde
10-23-2013, 05:51 AM
We have 2 WD TV Live media players for upstairs bedrooms... Love them.
Thinking of getting a third to replace the PS3 downstairs, which has occasional, random issues such as unsupported format, video freezing or skipping, sound cutting out, and probably others which haven't happened lately and I've forgotten.
Hoping PS4 will be an improvement.

JohnM
10-23-2013, 11:51 AM
What ever box you get, try to get one that supports the format that you store your movies in. That will prevent you from needing to transcode to view one.