PDA

View Full Version : Philips and Sony subtitle issues

beic
10-29-2013, 02:01 AM
Hi there,

I have a big trouble to set up my devices to work with external SRT subtitles or any other type like SSA, SUB, TXT, etc...

This is my case scenario:

I downloaded today the latest Mezzmo (v3.4.2.0) trial version and installed on my Windows XP machine (Intel E6420 2.10GHz, 2x 1Gb DDR3 Kingston Hyper-X), this is my stand alone DLNA Media Server.

I have brand new PHILIPS 40PFL3208H/12 Smart TV "detected as Pioneer BDP" and SONY BDP-S370 Blu-ray Player "properly detected" configured over local network.

So, I have tried to load external subtitles for AVI, MP4 and MKV files, but without no luck (video played nice on both device, but no subtitles shown).

Please explain me "easiest way" how to make it possible, because I'm struggling with this issue about 4 days now and I will smash all my devices into little pieces. :(

Kind regards,
Viktor

p.s. All devices are updated with latest manufacturer firmwares.

JohnM
10-29-2013, 02:49 AM
Sony BDP does not support external subtitles. You will need to burn them into the video to see them.

beic
10-29-2013, 02:55 AM
Sony BDP does not support external subtitles. You will need to burn them into the video to see them.

Is that apply only for DLNA or also for External USB?

Thanks!

Toledo
10-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Try this:

Click on Media Devices, select your Sony BDP, click edit. Click subtitles, and mark the option "Burn subtitles on video files". In Burn Subtitle for this languages, click edit and choose the language is your subtitle. Click OK, ok, restart the server and it should work.

Paul
10-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Is that apply only for DLNA or also for External USB?

Not sure about USB but certainly for DLNA streaming, most current Sony AV products (TVs, Blu-ray players, PS3) do not support external subtitles or embedded subtitles, so Sony product owners rely on Mezzmo to burn the subtitles into the video. It's easy to set up & just works without having to manually do anything prior to streaming. See this FAQ to learn more about subtitling in Mezzmo - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/5977-Tutorial-Subtitling-Basics. If you are still having problems, let us know and we'll help further.

Toledo
10-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Try this:

Click on Media Devices, select your Sony BDP, click edit. Click subtitles, and mark the option "Burn subtitles on video files". In Burn Subtitle for this languages, click edit and choose the language is your subtitle. Click OK, ok, restart the server and it should work.

After that you have to right click on the movie, click properties, click transcoding, click pre-transcode file, select your player and click in choose format, select the bold one, and select "Force burning subtiles", choose the file .srt and wait for the transcoding.
That way works, but you MUST have a .srt file... if you try this with embedded subtitles it wont work.

beic
10-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Ok, then I will drop that for Sony, it's to bad, I don't want to struggle any more!

But what about my brand new PHILIPS 40PFL3208H/12 Smart TV "detected as Pioneer BDP"?

Toledo
10-30-2013, 03:39 AM
Beic, I did what I wrote here, and it works fine on my PS3! For sure in your Sony will work too.

beic
10-30-2013, 04:56 AM
Beic, I did what I wrote here, and it works fine on my PS3! For sure in your Sony will work too.

Yes, thanks Toledo!

It's working for subs, but I get 100% CPU usage, bad quality of movie and ages to finish transcoding!

beic
10-30-2013, 07:00 AM
So, after 3 hours of 100% CPU usage and pre-transcoding I ended ffmpeg process, the log file is about 1Gb+!?

Toledo
10-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Well let's wait for Paul's answer about this process. Like, it works and like you said it takes A LOT of time. You did, with just one movie or more? Because at their tutorial for subtitles, all the time that you burn a subtitle in a movie, the file stays at temporary folder, but if you want to change for another language, than you have to do it again. That's a Sony's BS. If you have $ just buy a WD TV live, you won't regret. I have one, it's easy, never needed transcoding with any of my files, and has a great and beautifull GUI system. It brings all the metadata and it's like one RedBox machine :P

Paul
10-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi beic,

Some answers:

But what about my brand new PHILIPS 40PFL3208H/12 Smart TV "detected as Pioneer BDP"?

It appears some Pioneer Blu-ray player models and Philips TV models may be using the same DLNA firmware (often manufacturers license DLNA/UPnP chipsets & firmware from the same vendors). Change the device profile to "Philips TV (2012 Models)" in the Media Devices dialog and see if that works better. If no better, then let us know and we'll help out further.

So, after 3 hours of 100% CPU usage and pre-transcoding I ended ffmpeg process, the log file is about 1Gb+!?

Please zip up the logs files (they should compress well) and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com. If the zip is over 10MB in size, then upload it to a filesharing site like dropbox, skydrive, rapidshare, etc. and email us the download link.

beic
10-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Well let's wait for Paul's answer about this process. Like, it works and like you said it takes A LOT of time. You did, with just one movie or more? Because at their tutorial for subtitles, all the time that you burn a subtitle in a movie, the file stays at temporary folder, but if you want to change for another language, than you have to do it again. That's a Sony's BS. If you have $ just buy a WD TV live, you won't regret. I have one, it's easy, never needed transcoding with any of my files, and has a great and beautifull GUI system. It brings all the metadata and it's like one RedBox machine :P

No, just one movie with single subtitle.

Yes, I had WD My Book World Edition it was perfect for storage and other things.

The real stuff was my Apacer AL-670 (http://eu.apacer.com/products/AL670/overview) (played any media file type "codecs independent" and all known subtitles), now that was a perfect equipment, but it's broken now and I cant buy another because they don't have it any more in stock. :(

Toledo
10-31-2013, 06:18 AM
:(... but as soon as you get money WD TV Live is a very good one...