PDA

View Full Version : Playing FLAC on Sony BDP?

UweFi
09-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Hi,
I'm using the 15 day try out of Mezzmo on Windows Vista. My streaming device is a Sony BDP S570.
How can I play my FLAC audio files? As I understand, they should get converted on the fly to some audio format that the Sony understands.
MP3 audio work well, and FLV video plays wonderful.

Regards
Uwe

steve+t429
09-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Hi Uwe

I received a new device profile for Sony BDP that transcodes FLAC (& others) to MP3 and in that way everything now plays fine :D

I think I've attached the profile here, but if that hasn't worked, I'm certain Conceiva support will send it to you.

Regards
Steve

Paul
09-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks, Steve.

Uwe - if you are still having problems, contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we can get you up and running.

UweFi
09-08-2010, 02:50 AM
Thanks, Steve.

Uwe - if you are still having problems, contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we can get you up and running.

Thank you for your help. The SonyBDP.zip file works well. All audio files that I have browsed so far are transcoded to 320kbps MP3 now.

Uwe

Paul
09-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Great to hear, Uwe. This updated device profile will be available for all users in the upcoming release of Mezzmo. It is a free upgrade for all registered users.

hdteevee
09-18-2010, 12:24 AM
I also am using the 15-day trial and have updated to the new profile provided. However, the reason I have my music stored as FLAC is to keep it lossless. The updated profile transcodes to MP3 320 hz. So, my question is: How can I modify the profile to try transcode FLAC to LPCM L16 (which is also supposed to be supported by the BDP)? Here is what I was thinking:

<avcontainer id="flac" name="flac" encode="1" mimetype="audio/L16" baseline="1" dlnaprofile="FLAC" preferredtranscoded="1" supportschunked="0">
<audio>
<format id="flac" encode="1" codec="pcm_s16be" preferredtranscoded="1">
<channels>2</channels>
<bitrate>1536000</bitrate>
<maxbitrate>1536000</maxbitrate>
<minbitrate>8000</minbitrate>
<maxsamplingrate>48000</maxsamplingrate>
<minsamplingrate>44100</minsamplingrate>
<samplingrate>48000</samplingrate>
<samplingrate>44100</samplingrate>
</format>
</audio>
</avcontainer>

Does this look to be correct, and if so, can I just add it after any of the other </avcontainer>'s?

Paul
09-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Yes, almost :) Change dlnaprofile to be "LPCM", because that's what it is (and besides, flac is not part of DLNA anyway).

Does the BDP actually play LPCM? I tried with our BDP-S370 (albeit very briefly) and it refused to play LPCM files I've tried. Please let me know if you succeed and I'll investigate a bit more here as well.

hdteevee
09-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks Dennis.:)

I received the email you sent with your newest prf and will try it this evening (I'm about a 1/2 day behind you). I thought I was getting close...i tried various examples but kept running into road blocks. I never tried putting the rate & channels in the <avcontainer> section.

As far as the BR player and LPCM, the US version will handle LPCM as I can do so with both WMP11 and PS3MS. I've played numerous files at 1.5Mbit, but the Mezzmo interface is so much cleaner. Actually, PS3MS will transcode FLAC with mplayer or ffmpeg, but it has a problem with buffer and results in the buffer running out prior to the end of the song.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Paul
09-21-2010, 08:43 AM
I can confirm that we've fixed LPCM playback on the Sony BDPs - it'll be part of the next minor update or you can contact support and we'll send you an updated device profile.