PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo prevents sleep?

krisku
09-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I have my server (Windows 7) set to automatically go to sleep when not being used for a while. But since installing a trial version of Mezzmo a week ago, it seems to remain on all the time (unless I manually put it to sleep).

Since the server is in a completely different part of the house and I generally do not use it from the console, I would really like to have it automatically go to sleep if not being used to share media. Is there anything in Mezzmo that actively keeps it awake, and can I do something about it? Configurable?

Paul
09-06-2010, 11:56 AM
If there are DLNA devices in your home turned on, then they may be broadcasting themselves on your home network from time-to-time (e.g. every hour). This is DLNA communication and Mezzmo, as a DLNA server, responds to these queries. So, even though you may not be actively streaming files using Mezzmo, it may still be talking to devices in your home since they are switched on and broadcasting themselves. If possible, try turning off the DLNA devices in your home & see if that is better.

krisku
09-10-2010, 03:23 AM
If there are DLNA devices in your home turned on, then they may be broadcasting themselves on your home network from time-to-time (e.g. every hour). This is DLNA communication and Mezzmo, as a DLNA server, responds to these queries. So, even though you may not be actively streaming files using Mezzmo, it may still be talking to devices in your home since they are switched on and broadcasting themselves. If possible, try turning off the DLNA devices in your home & see if that is better.

The only DLNA device in my network is a Samsung C650 television and of course the Windows 7 Media Center where I run Mezzmo. And I *do* turn off the TV in the evening, but the Media PC will not go automatically to sleep as it did before I installed Mezzmo!

So the only device Mezzmo possibly can be talking to, is itself or something running in the same computer. Either way, the result is very non-Green.. :(

Let me put the original question another way: is there anything in Mezzmo that will actively prevent the computer from going to sleep while it is actively streaming media? I.e. does it use the Win32 function SetThreadExecutionState?

Paul
09-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Yes, Mezzmo will prevent your computer from going to sleep while streaming a file and yes, it uses that function. However, it does not talk to itself (on the same IP address), so my guess at the moment would be that WMC is polling it occassionally and getting (for example) the server icon - streaming of that will execute that function and reset your idle timers.

RMerlin
09-10-2010, 10:39 AM
I've seen funky issues with DLNA servers on computers having multiple network interfaces. Is that your case?

Paul
09-10-2010, 11:21 AM
We've checked the code and there are ways to make it better, so it shouldn't prevent your computer from going to sleep when not doing anything important (such as streaming a file). We'll fix it up.

krisku
09-12-2010, 07:52 PM
We've checked the code and there are ways to make it better, so it shouldn't prevent your computer from going to sleep when not doing anything important (such as streaming a file). We'll fix it up.

Ok, that sounds promising! Any way I can get a beta version to test? I only have two days left of my evaluation period, and Mezzmo preventing my computer to sleep is a real showstopper. By letting the server sleep for over 80% of the time, I can save roughly 80 €/year in electricity costs alone (not to mention shortening the lifespan of fans and harddrives if the computer is running continuously).

I had prepared a diagnostic dump from a couple of hours during the night when nothing should be happening, but I guess you won't be needing it if you already have some improvements planned. Let me know if you need the logfile though, and I would be happy to send it to you!

Thanks!

krisku
09-12-2010, 11:59 PM
I've seen funky issues with DLNA servers on computers having multiple network interfaces. Is that your case?

Nope, nothing special. One network interface with one statically assigned ip-address..

Paul
09-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Yes, please send your logs through in any case - the more diagnostic material we can gather, the better, as it may expose some other issues as well.

We don't have a public beta program available, but you can extend your trial once it's over for another 15 days (there'll be a button on the dialog to do that).

Paul
09-21-2010, 10:19 AM
We have just re-tested this issue and could not find any problem with the current version - v2.1.9.0

For our tests, we used a Windows 7 computer, with Windows Media Center running and Mezzmo running. We had a Samsung TV on our network. We set the computer to sleep after 1 minute. After 1 minute, the computer consistently went into sleep mode when there was no DLNA activity (i.e. streaming, browsing playlists/folders, etc).

Can you try the following? Run Mezzmo. Set your computer to sleep mode after 1 minute so it's quick to do your tests. Disconnect your computer from your home network and wait for more than 1 minute (don't use/touch you computer during this time). If it does not sleep, then close Windows Media Center and all other programs that are running - including those programs in your system tray. With just Mezzmo running, does it sleep after 1 minute now?

raystlin
07-08-2011, 06:28 AM
I've had exactly the same problem and already attempted playing with the sleep settings
And 1 min works but longer delays such as 30 mins+ do not.

It's not really an option to go with 1 min, so are there any plans to address this issue?

It's quite a pain to have to manually put pc to sleep.....

Paul
07-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Is your Windows Media Player running? If it is, then it'll talk to Mezzmo and prevent the PC from going to sleep. Or, if you have any other DLNA clients running/turned on, then any of them will talk to Mezzmo from time to time and this may prevent sleep as well.

raystlin
07-08-2011, 02:42 PM
nothing else running on the server (it's just a server, not used as media centre),
All other devices are off - the tv's are off at standby would that cause a problem?

Paul
07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
If you have a Sony TV, these are known to talk to media servers even in standby mode.

To see what's happening for sure, we'll need to see the logs. So, please turn on logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then leave your PC running as you normally would and wait until whenever your sleep timeout is set to kick off. Once that's hit and the PC is not sleeping, stop the server and send the logs to support (at) conceiva (dot) com and we'll investigate.

raystlin
08-01-2011, 03:58 PM
It was definitely the Mezzmo service keeping the PC awake (turned everything else off),
but it's sorted now - under Power Options goto Change Advanced Power Settings
then open the Sleep entry in the tree and set Allow Wake Timers to Disable.

Paul
08-01-2011, 04:02 PM
It's possible that this could be also related to the hibernation issue that we just fixed. If you'd like to try a patch of the server (to be applied on top of v2.4), please send a message to support (at) conceiva (dot) com and we'll send it to you to try. It may let your PC go to sleep without tweaking those Advanced settings.