PDA

View Full Version : Samsung network disconnect / tome-out

alasdairt
02-10-2014, 09:31 AM
I have a Samsung Home Cinema HT-F5500. Whenever I stream video over DLNA it times out after about 50 minutes. I get a "Check your network connection" error and whatever I press then the video stops. This is particularly annoying given the issues Samsung's firmware has with using FF over dlna.

Ive no idea if this is only a problem with Mezzmo - I do TVersity installed and will try to muster up the patience to watch something again through this to check.

The obvious workaround is to remember to pause / unpause halfway through the video but of course I keep forgetting.

Any suggestions - I cant find any options in Mezzmo around time-out etc

Cheers

Paul
02-10-2014, 09:45 AM
This problem does occur often with Samsung devices on users' home networks. Samsung devices seem to be sensitive to DLNA / UPnP traffic being broadcast by your devices on your home network. If your Samsung device receives some DLNA / UPnP commands from devices whilst streaming a video, it can abort streaming the video - which is annoying as you have found out. A few things you can do to help reduce/stop this from happening:

Go into your router's settings and turn off any built-in UPnP / DLNA features of your router. It is often routers that broadcast many DLNA / UPnP commands on your home network. Reboot your router after making changes.
Go to the Media Server Settings dialog in Mezzmo and increase the SSDP interval to 86400. See this FAQ - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/6245-FAQ-Change-the-default-SSDP-advertisement-interval
If you are streaming over wireless, then see this user's fix - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/5752-BD-D6500-Slow-to-recognize-Mezzmo-disconnects-browsing-folders-and-while-playing?p=22277#post22277

If still a problem, let us know and we'll help further.

alasdairt
02-12-2014, 07:12 AM
Cool cheers. Seems to be working although Ive only had time to test one file. Will come back if the problem returns

Paul
02-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Glad your home network is stable now. Let us know if the problem re-appears.

mrgenie
02-18-2014, 09:04 PM
T

Go into your router's settings and turn off any built-in UPnP / DLNA features of your router. It is often routers that broadcast many DLNA / UPnP commands on your home network. Reboot your router after making changes.
Go to the Media Server Settings dialog in Mezzmo and increase the SSDP interval to 86400. See this FAQ - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/6245-FAQ-Change-the-default-SSDP-advertisement-interval
If you are streaming over wireless, then see this user's fix - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/5752-BD-D6500-Slow-to-recognize-Mezzmo-disconnects-browsing-folders-and-while-playing?p=22277#post22277

If still a problem, let us know and we'll help further.

May I add to this list some remarks..
I have a satellite internet connection because I live in Germany and there is no proper internet in Germany.
The satellite connection itself is stable, 30Mbps down and 6Mbps up. My monthly volume is 500 Gigabyte.

So you might expect good video streaming, which is with all hardware we have, except Samsung!
The reason I found out after using some network test tools: the high latency!
For whatever reason, if the Samsung is waiting for streamed signals longer then a few hundred ms.. it simply aborts the connection, even if the
connection is still fine and data stream is still there.. just needs some time to restart the pre buffering.

The Samsung however then says: Oh, there is no internet at all! So no video signal, so nothing.. so I simply put out an error!

I had the "error connection drop" also on local video files sometimes.. I really started to wonder why, because local I have <1ms latency..
The reason is, the computer with mezzmo starts windows services every now and then.. if you use transcoding, for whatever reason, sometimes
the transcoded signal simply takes longer then usual when windows starts to do some unknown background tasks.. and then samsung says:
oh... a few hundred milliseconds? ok, ABORT! ERROR..

So my solution was
1) tell windows not to be stupid.. disable 99,99%of the services.. since MS thinks a normal user needs all those services..where actually normal people
don't use all the default services.. but ok.. disabling it and the problem went away..
then I enabled almost all services in their original state.. problem came back.. so that validated my assumption that windows services can slow
down the transcoding which then might stall/pauze/take too long.. and Samsung say:"ok, I give up" instead of waiting a little more.

2) second solution was to disable transcoding.. which works fine.. I haven't found any video file mezzmo+samsung can't handle untranscoded..
but that also solved the issue..

so to sum it up:"Samsung simply gives up way too fast instead of waiting a little longer for the video data stream to continue..."
so there isn't really a network error.. it's a firmware issue Samsung isn't aware about..

But to get around it local, you either disable transcoding since mostly you won't need it or simply tell windows to stop all the
useless crap it is doing in the background..

Paul
02-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks for sharing this, mrgenie.