PDA

View Full Version : Stream/Playback DVD from PC to Samsung TV

Luk
09-12-2010, 06:43 PM
First of all, I am very pleased with Mezzmo. It works very fine : I can watch movies streamed from my PC Harddisk onto my Samsung TV, showing photos is Ok and playing audio also.

One question though : can anybody tell me how I have to configure Mezzmo in order to be able to play a (movie) DVD on my Samsung TV?

Here is what I do :
Library, Video, Add, Add folder, D:\ presets = video
(D: if the DVD drive)

On the Samsung TV (UE37C8620) I can browse/see the files from the DVD
When I start Video_TS.VOB I always get Video Codec not supported on the Samsung.

Any idea of what I am doing wrong?
Tx.

RMerlin
09-13-2010, 03:15 AM
Mezzmo cannot stream a DVD. The main problem with that is the copy protection - Mezzmo cannot decrypt a VOB file from a commercial DVD.

You must first rip the DVD to your hard drive (which will remove the copy protection, and usually encode it in a different, single-file format). There are quite a few tools out there that will achieve that for you, both free (usually more technical) and commercial (usually easier to use).

Personally, I use the free version of DVDFab to rip the disc, then Mediacoder to encode it into a H264/AC3 file.

Luk
09-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Thank you for your reply.

Ripping and encoding takes a lot of time ...... so just a quick 'theoretical' question, because I didn't try it : Would it be a solution to install/run e.g. DVD43 as a decrypter between the commercial DVD and Mezzmo?
After all, Mezzmo can browse the DVD and I can see the files on my TV. I just can't play them because I get the 'Video Codec not supported' message.

If a decrypter is the solution, does anybody have any recommendations on this kind of software? Is DVD43 good, or are there other/better decrypters?

RMerlin
09-13-2010, 08:49 AM
I do not know if a decrypter would work, but if it did, one remaining issue would be that Mezzmo can't handle movies spread over multiple VOB files (at least not now).

Also, I'm not sure how Mezzmo would deal with a removable media such as a DVD.

Paul
09-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Frankly, I don't think that DVD43 will work, but I haven't tried it. If DVD43 can present a DVD as a folder on disk that Mezzmo can add to Library and if DVD43 can fool Mezzmo into seeing one file there with your movie, then it *may* work, but I doubt it :)

I would try RMerlin's suggestion of recoding your DVDs to single file movies.