PDA

View Full Version : Files disappeared please help

Davidsy
09-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Used messmo for the first time the other day. put up all my photo files and video files. Today the had all disappeared from their folders ( I was nearly sick) I have just used recuva and will be up til the wee hours putting everything back in it's right folder.
Can anyone explain what happened?

Cheers
David

Paul
09-16-2010, 08:46 AM
You mean they disappeared from the Library in Mezzmo or physically from your disk?

What version of Mezzmo are you using (check the Help -> About box)?

Davidsy
09-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Hi Dennis
The library in Mezzmo reflected the state of the folders on the computer. The folders were there but there was nothing in them. Thanks to Recuva I managed to get everything back but I'm not keen to try it again.

Paul
09-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Mezzmo does not delete your files - it has no functionality to do that. So if the files disappeared from the actual disk it's probably something else that removed them.

Davidsy
09-17-2010, 08:45 PM
I didn't think it could. Does it do anything with the temp folder? The only thing I can think of is I have Ccleaner run on start up. I noticed that it has been clearing out the temp folder every time I start up. It is as real mystery as it only happened to the folders I picked up with Mezzmo. I will try and run a test with some files and see what happens

Paul
09-20-2010, 08:53 AM
The temp folder shouldn't matter - I assume of course that your files are not in that folder and there are no links/shortcuts in the temp folder to your actual files folder. Do the files disappear from a certain place on your PC all the time or was it a once-off occurence?

Davidsy
09-20-2010, 09:27 AM
The files were in a partitioned drive. It was only the ones linked to the Mezzmo library that disappeared and it was only the contents not the folders. I linked my music folders as well. The music folders appeared on the tv but not the mp3 files. The music files were on an external drive and did not disappear. Over 500gbs of material was wiped. Good news is I retreived everything - Although some of the video files are mixed up in the folders now. I haven't done any tests yet but will soon. I don't think Mezzmo caused it but I have no idea what did.

Paul
09-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Hmm, I don't really have any ideas, sorry :(

One thing to check, that I can think of, is if you changed your temporary transcoding folder to be the root of that drive, that could cause an issue then. Did you alter that folder location by any chance (it's in the Transcoding Settings dialog)?

Davidsy
09-20-2010, 09:42 AM
I'll check when I get home tonight Dennis. I could have but I don't think I did. What kind of issues would that cause? Thanks for your help.
Cheers
David

Paul
09-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Well, the issue would be if you did point it to somewhere where you keep your real files and then you used the "Delete Transcoded Files" button in the dialog, it would start cleaning out all files/folders from the folder where you've set it at. So, potentially, if you point it to your C: drive, for example, and then do a "Delete", it will remove all your files (so, don't do this of course!).