PDA

View Full Version : how to always/only display IMDB thumbs

costero
04-24-2014, 10:36 AM
I'm new to Mezzmo, trying to figure out how to set up my default thumbnails.

What I'm getting (for my videos) appears to be a frame captured from within the video file; I don't want that.

What I want is the movie/TV poster as appears on IMDB or The Movie Database. Always, by default.

(This is what Serviio does, it's what I'm used to, and it's what I prefer.)

How do I make this happen?

Paul
04-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Getting artwork from online metadata sites like IMDB is turned on by default. You can adjust these settings in the Metadata Retrieval Settings dialog in Mezzmo. Go to the Options dialog (Retrieving Metadata page) and click the 'Metadata Retrieval Settings button.

If Mezzmo was not able to find a matching movie or TV show from the online metadata site, then it will create artwork based on a frame within the video. Mezzmo determines the name of the movie or TV show to search for based on the file path of the video file. See this post for supported file path formats - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/6802-Series-TV-Shows?p=26864#post26864.

The upcoming Mezzmo v4.0 has some significant improvements for getting text metadata and artwork for movies and TV shows. It is expected to be released in a few weeks and is a free upgrade for all registered users.

costero
04-25-2014, 01:01 AM
Ah, OK, thanks. My problem was in using a naming system that I thought was relatively standard worldwide, and Mezzmo won't accept it.

I.e., I have all my movies named as "Movie Title [year].avi", with the release year always in square brackets.
All my music is in folders by artist name, with subfolders for albums, which are named as "Album Title [year]".

I can bulk rename my library, but is there any way to get Mezzmo to accept my nomenclature? As I said, I think it's pretty standard; some people use parentheses instead of square brackets, but I've never seen the year simply "loose" in the title. Looks kinda confusing with movies like "10", "13", "1492", et. al. :-)

Paul
04-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Actually Mezzmo does support this - i.e. "Movie Title [year].avi". Can you provide an example where it did not work for you?

costero
04-25-2014, 10:47 AM
You're right (of course) -- I just had a) not tried enough different combinations under Metadata Retrieval Settings (very confusing!), and b) had not done enough refreshes within Mezzmo to get the view updated (i.e., just doing "Maintain Now" is not enough -- I also have to switch in and out of views a couple of times to get the thumbnails to show).

Re: that Metadata Retrieval Settings stuff: I know that there is not One Size to Fit All, because everyone has their own quirks re: naming, what they want displayed, etc. etc. To me, my combination of naming and desired display is "correct," but the next person will think I'm an idiot. Still, whatever you guys could do to show examples of cause and effect would be nice, imho. E.g., if you name your files this way, and then check these boxes, you're going to get this. And, of course, I realize even that isn't going to be perfect, because every file will have different metadata embedded. But still...

In that vein: You already know I name my vids as "Movie Title [YEAR]". This is the set of Metadata Retrieval Settings...

...that gives me what I want:

Paul
04-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Glad you are up and running now :) And thanks for the suggested improvements.