PDA

View Full Version : Chromecast Subtitles

llokey
06-20-2014, 07:54 AM
I am confused about V4, Chromecast and subtitles. In the release announcement I find "Subtitles are displayed." under the section for Chromecast. However, I cannot find a way to display the subtitles. In fact under the Media Device properties for Google Chromecast, I find that no embedded formats and no external formats are supported.

Is this all just a case of interpretation (have to pre-transcode to burn in subtitles)?

Just confused.

Thanks - Larry

Paul
06-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi Larry,

Currently the only way to get subtitles displayed on your Chromecast is via burning them into your video. This is a restriction of the current Chromecast SDK from Google. So, Mezzmo automatically burns your subtitles when it transcodes videos to the supported video formats for Chromecast (assuming you have transcoding turned on).

We expect Google will be adding improved subtitle support in future Chromecast SDK updates and, when they do, Mezzmo will be able to display subtitles without burning.

llokey
06-21-2014, 12:26 AM
Paul,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to improve on the Roku but I guess I will be patient.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Currently the only way to get subtitles displayed on your Chromecast is via burning them into your video. This is a restriction of the current Chromecast SDK from Google. So, Mezzmo automatically burns your subtitles when it transcodes videos to the supported video formats for Chromecast (assuming you have transcoding turned on).

We expect Google will be adding improved subtitle support in future Chromecast SDK updates and, when they do, Mezzmo will be able to display subtitles without burning.