PDA

View Full Version : Server won't obey Chromecast profile when using 3rd party apps

Seijinho
06-28-2014, 05:43 AM
I can use BubbleUPNP or AllCast to send videos from my Mezzmo server to Chromecast, but the original file is sent, not the transcoded one.
Looking at Mezzmo's status panel, it knows the file is being sent to Chromecast, and yet, won't transcode the file or send a pre-transcoded file.

To be honest, as a "quick fix" I would buy Mezzmo's Android app, but it's just too bad, way too bad. It doesn't follow Android's design guidelines (http://developer.android.com/design/get-started/principles.html), I get popups for every DLNA device found on my network, and it seems that the app keeps scanning even when it's not in foreground, since sometimes I see the popup saying which devices Mezzmo has found. When in the app, I tap "back" a popup says that tapping again I'll leave the app, so I tap again and now a dialog opens asking me to confirm if I want to exit. I could go on and on... :(

So I'm looking forward to see the server working with the apps I already own.

Paul
06-28-2014, 07:09 AM
You must manually go to the Media Devices dialog and change the device profile for your BubbleUPnP or AllCast app to use the "Google Chromecast" device profile. That will tell Mezzmo server to deliver files suitable for Google Chromecast. The reason for this is that these apps always contact Mezzmo server with their own information and Mezzmo server has no way of knowing that the intended file is to be delivered to a Chromecast. On the other hand, Mezzmo Android contacts Mezzmo server with its information and information about what device is going to stream the file so Mezzmo server knows whether to transcode it or not. Just one of the benefits of Mezzmo Android :).

Thanks for your feedback regarding our Mezzmo Android app. If you wish, please do email us your full list of gripes. We'll certainly use that to further improve the app.