PDA

View Full Version : Android app loses connection to chromecast

Normalised
07-02-2014, 09:02 PM
After a fairly successful use of the trial I bought the android app but its constantly losing the connection to the chromecast.

e.g.

I start the app and start streaming a video but then none of the controls work. I go back to the device list and the device has disappeared, hit refresh and it appears again. But after the refresh the controls still dont work and I have no way of stopping whats playing on the chromecast apart from using another app to change or reboot the stick.

Any tips on fixing / debugging this or providing you with more info to work out why?

thanks.

Peter
07-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Hi,
we have reproduced the problem here and will work on trying to resolve it. The problem appears to be that the chromecast is disconnecting from the app then reconnecting and this is not being handled well.

Peter
07-03-2014, 11:58 AM
It seems that the Chromecast changes wireless channels often and this results in the device disconnecting and reconnecting to the app within a short space of time, we have added a delay to the removal of the device from the app so that if it is added again within a short time the device is not removed. This fix will be in an update we will release either tommorrow or early next week. A work around for the problem until the update is released would be to set your routers wireless channel to a specific value instead of auto.

Normalised
07-03-2014, 06:28 PM
A work around for the problem until the update is released would be to set your routers wireless channel to a specific value instead of auto.

I'll give that a try. thanks for the response :)

Normalised
07-03-2014, 07:54 PM
I've just tried it with a fixed wireless channel and the behaviour is exactly the same.

Also a small usability / feature request. At the moment as soon as the android app detects the chromecast it launches the mezzmo app on the stick which can interrupt other things that are playing, would it be possible to make it only switch to mezzmo when a media is requested for playback?

Peter
07-04-2014, 10:44 AM
We tried it here with the wireless channel set to fixed and the disconnect did not occur but possibly it depends upon which channel you choose as there may be interference on some channels from other networks.

We can make the change to prevent the Mezzmo app on the chromecast launching until a file is played. We will release the update that contains this and the fix for the disconnect problem early next week.