PDA

View Full Version : Samsung UE46C8700 - FF or FR not working

mtrambaioli
09-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Hello,
I've got mezzmo 2.1.10 and a samsung UE46C8700. Mezzmo did not recognize the tv automatically but I've set it up using the samsung C profile. I have also as Samsung BD-C6900, this was rcognized automatically and has the samsung BDP profile. Everything works fine except the FForward and FReverse (for both the TV and the Blueray player), there seems to be only the possibility ot go to the begining or to the end or to skip 10/15 second. Is there a way to us FForward or FReverese or to be able to skip longer periods (like 10 minutes) or to go to a specific time? If you press STOP by mistake you need to rewatch the full movie (or press many time the skip forward). For the rest the product is great.

Paul
09-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Hello,

This is a limitation of the Samsung's firmware, not Mezzmo, unfortunately. Even in the product manuals they now say that FF/REW is not available for DLNA playback and you can only use skipping (you can hold the skip button to make it go faster, actually). Until Samsung fix their firmware, there's nothing Mezzmo can do, sorry.

McKhan
10-04-2010, 04:49 AM
I have a Samsung TV myself and I can confirm that reverse and foward don't work with the TV and it's an hardware limitation on not related, in any way, with Mezzmo. However, you system shows some improvement over mine: you seem to be able to skip videos streamed from Mezzmo. I can't. Support says it's related with the movie not being completely transcoded, but what happens is that the option to skip is available, but everytime I use, t gos back to beginning of the movie....

GliMM
10-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi,
I have similar issues using Mezzmo and my Samsung devices (Samsung UE32B7070, Samsung LE46B655)
Both connects to Mezzmo using Wireless N and the Samsung B profile.
I can't fast-forward, but as mentioned this is not supported by the devices, and I have the same problem using Samsung media server or USB playback.

But for some reason I can’t use skipping either, nothing happens when I press the button on my remote.
I have had this issue since I started with version 2.1.09 but for some reason, at that point I could, if I turned transcoding OFF for that device, use what I would call rubberband skipping :) I could forward some minutes, and the time indicator could be forced to reach the last part of a movie, but the playback started maximum of 5-10% in.
And most of the time did the playback start from the beginning. Since I at that time also lost subtitle support if I turned transcoding off, I left the option of (slightly) annoying rubberband skipping and turned transcoding on to enjoy subtitles.

Now I have updated to 2.1.11 and were going to see if I could try again.
But at the moment, I have the same problem, but now I can’t skip in any way, even with trancoding off.
Another thing I have noted is that I can't change between videofiles, (up on my remote control usually jumps to the next videofile in the list)
And I can’t start from the beginning of the current video (down on my remote control)

I have tried to use skipping on several videofiles, directly after starting, after I have watched for a while and trancoding should have been completed and even after i have completed watching a video, even watching it several times. Thinking that it might be the mentioned trancoding-not-done issue.
I get no reaction when trying to go farward or back.

So basically I can’t do anything else than play and pause my video, to go to the next one, I have to go back to the video menu and select the next file I want to watch,
the next video does of course start if the one I’m watching ends.

Does anyone have any ideas?

wozza
10-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Dennis

You may well already be aware of this (and it might well not be relevant!) but on the CNet Samung forum there's a link to technical paper at the IEEE website: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/articleSale/Sarticle.jsp?reload=true&arnumber=5202611 that looks like it might address the FF/REW issue, specifically in Samsung TVs. I haven't bought the article so have no idea if it's likely to help!

Paul
10-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Dennis

You may well already be aware of this (and it might well not be relevant!) but on the CNet Samung forum there's a link to technical paper at the IEEE website: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/articleSale/Sarticle.jsp?reload=true&arnumber=5202611 that looks like it might address the FF/REW issue, specifically in Samsung TVs. I haven't bought the article so have no idea if it's likely to help!
Thanks for the URL, no I wasn't aware of it, and I haven't read the article, but the snippet suggests that it's aimed at server FF/RW (which Mezzmo does well with any non-Samsung device) rather than being aimed at fixing the specific Samsung firmware issues? Or have I misread that?

Paul
10-13-2010, 08:45 AM
GliMM,

Can you please edit the SamsungB.prf and change
needstimebasedseek="0" to
needstimebasedseek="1" then restart the server and see if that helps? Please let me know. I'm hoping to get a B-series Samsung here for testing someday, so once it gets here, I'll be able to solve all these issues more properly.

wozza
10-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the URL, no I wasn't aware of it, and I haven't read the article, but the snippet suggests that it's aimed at server FF/RW (which Mezzmo does well with any non-Samsung device) rather than being aimed at fixing the specific Samsung firmware issues? Or have I misread that?

Hmm.. I read the follwing as meaning that they had found a way to enable FF/REW, INCLUDING on Samsung TVs:

"We have tested our implementation using Samsung's dasiaWiseLink Pro DLNApsila solution as a media streaming server and using Samsung's dasiaSeries 7 LCD TVpsila as a video renderer."

I might well have go the wrong end of the stick here though.

Paul
10-13-2010, 09:10 AM
My understanding would be that technically only the Samsung's firmware can enable/disable FF/REW. Now, if they've tinkered with the firmware (like the Samygo extension), then anything is possible of course, but it also brings along a possibility of killing your TV and I doubt it'll be covered by warranty.

wozza
10-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Ah right. Yeah, I know about Samygo and despite good stuff in it, like playing VOBs correctly, a current competition to even allow DTS passthru over the toslink etc, I haven't been tempted because of that warranty issue. Damn. :(

BTW I was a previous user of the T****y Server which does actually enable skipping forward & back on my TV (UN46B7000), although only for videos that are less than 2 hours. Mezzmo doesn't do this with my TV (and even despite that, I choose Mezzmo!). So clearly the TV could do it under those conditions - is there any likelihood that something like that will be enabled for my TV in Mezzmo? I don't use transcoding as all my files are compatible with the TV.

Cheers

Paul
10-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Can you try the "needstimebasedseek" tweak I posted above to see if that helps?

GliMM
10-14-2010, 04:13 PM
I tried modifying my device profile as suggested.
(Opened the device profile in notepad, changed the value, saved, stopped mezzmo, started mezzmo).

I tried using skipping on both my devices but still no luck.
Is the procedure I used correct? will stopping/starting media server enough to start using the new device profile?

Paul
10-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Yes, that should be enough for the changes to take place. So basically the 2.1.9 allowed skipping, but neither 2.1.10 nor 2.1.11 do, right?

Paul
10-14-2010, 04:33 PM
GliMM, can you please send a message to support, I'll send you an updated device profile to try.

GliMM
10-14-2010, 04:50 PM
As far as I can recall did i manage to find the feature 'rubberband skipping' if I turned transcoding off in 2.1.09
It was not usable, but it did atleast react on me pressing the buttons on my remote control.

Skipping works just fine using USB playback and If I wake my Samsung PC Share Manager installation up and try that one.

I will send an email to support as suggested.
Thanks!