PDA

View Full Version : Playlist Subfolders?

wrnoof
09-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Hi --

When I create a playlist, I usually populate it by dragging individual files from their folders into the playlist. Is it possible to create a playlist out of folders rather than separate files?

Thanks,
Bob

Paul
09-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Hi Bob,

You can create a playlist and then add folders (or smart playlists, linked playlists or active playlists) under the playlist. In fact, the top-level "Video", "Photos" and Music" playlists in the tree in Mezzmo are just normal playlists and under them are various playlists & folders. You can right-click on any of them and click Properties to see their settings.

So, create your playlist and then select it in the tree in Mezzmo. Next, click 'Add To Library' -> 'Add folder' to add a folder under the playlist.

wrnoof
09-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Hi Paul,

You guys are great, by the way. I did as instructed. I am streaming my music through a Sony BluRay Player. I created a play list and added a folder of music to it. However, nothing will play unless, using the BluRay, I go into the folder that contains the music files and select one of them and play it. The others will all play in turn. I cannot, however, hit play on an upper level folder and have it play all the other playlists or folders contained therein. Am I missing something here? Or, is my Sony device incapable of playing folders contained within other folders by selecting play from the upper level folder. I am trying to create a playlist of albums, each album in it's own folder and have them all play in sequence by selecting play from the upper level or "mother" folder. Is this possible?

Paul
09-05-2014, 01:34 PM
It's probably a restriction of your Sony Blu-ray player's firmware.

To get around this, you could create a smart playlist with rules like:

[x] Match [all] of the following rules:

[Artist] [is] [The Beatles]

Sort by: Album / Series (ascending)
(or sort by by File name (ascending))

This will create a playlist with all the music files from "The Beatles" in one playlist. Now you can play all of them from your Sony Blu-ray player.

Or, use rules like:

[x] Match [any] of the following rules:

[Album] [is] [Revolver]
[Album] [is] [The White Album]
[Album] [is] [Abbey Road]

This will create a playlist with all the music files from the listed albums in one playlist. Now you can play all of them from your Sony Blu-ray player.

wrnoof
09-06-2014, 03:22 AM
Hi Paul,

Great answer. I suspected it might be something like the Sony firmware. Your suggestion works except for the fact that I want to combine about 20 albums/folders into a single playlist. The smart playlist dialogue then expands beyond my screen margins with each addition and the controls like "OK", etc. become inaccessible. Using Add > Files works just fine in this case.

Working on this issue brings another question to mind. Does Mezzmo have the ability to push media out to a DLNA device? My Blackberry Z10 allows me to push my music out to the Sony BDP as long as both are on and connected to my home network.

Regards,
Bob

Paul
09-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Hi Bob,

If you have an Android device (tablet or smartphone), then you can install our new Mezzmo Android app on it and it allows you to browse your Mezzmo library and push files to your devices. More details here - http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/mezzmo_android.asp. Search for "Mezzmo" on Google Play.

In addition, the upcoming Mezzmo v4.1 will have new "Play To" features so that you can push files to devices on your home network directly from your Mezzmo Windows app. It also lets you have full playback control over your devices such as Play, Stop, Pause, Seek, Next File, Previous File, Volume, Mute, etc. We're hoping to have it released later this month.

wrnoof
09-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Hi Paul,
That's wonderful news. Great work! My Blackberry Z10 plays many Android files. I'll try out the Mezzmo app and let you know if it works on my BB.
Regards,
Bob

wrnoof
09-07-2014, 03:43 AM
Well, it works after a fashion. The good news is that it recognizes all the devices connected to the network and it will push out folder-in-folder play lists on the PC server. The bad news is that, once the smart phone goes to sleep, the player device will not advance to the next file in the play list.

The app will not push out files located on the Blackberry, but does great with files on the PC server.

This is just FYI. I don't expect any resolution for my BB Z10.

Thanks for taking this concept this far.

Bob

Paul
09-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Hi Bob,

Regarding local (BB Z10) streaming to your devices, Mezzmo Android app does not transcode your audio and video files so if they are not compatible with your device(s) that you are pushing to, then they won't play.

smitbret
09-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Well, it works after a fashion. The good news is that it recognizes all the devices connected to the network and it will push out folder-in-folder play lists on the PC server. The bad news is that, once the smart phone goes to sleep, the player device will not advance to the next file in the play list.

The app will not push out files located on the Blackberry, but does great with files on the PC server.

This is just FYI. I don't expect any resolution for my BB Z10.

Thanks for taking this concept this far.

Bob

Just an FYI, the inability to playback files to the local Z10 is only with the current version of Mezzmo Android. It works fine on previous version, 1.0.0.7. Luckily, I like to archive my .apk files before I do upgrades so I was able to rollback and just haven't done the "upgrade".

I reported the issue to Conceiva, but I haven't had time to follow-up.

Paul
09-08-2014, 06:48 AM
Understand. When you have time, email us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll work with you to fix the problem on the Z10 with local playback.

annarosy
04-20-2016, 08:03 PM
Hi Bob,

You can create a playlist and then add folders (or smart playlists, linked playlists or active playlists) under the playlist. In fact, the top-level "Video", "Photos" and Music" playlists in the tree in Mezzmo are just normal playlists and under them are various playlists & folders. You can right-click on any of them and click Properties to see their settings.

So, create your playlist and then select it in the tree in Mezzmo. Next, click 'Add To Library' -> 'Add folder' to add a folder under the playlist.

hi Paul
thanks you very much for sharing, I'm having problems with it which have done according to your instructions

Paul
04-22-2016, 09:56 AM
hi Paul
thanks you very much for sharing, I'm having problems with it which have done according to your instructions

If you need help creating your playlists, let us know and we'll help out.

Paul
04-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Hi bro!

When I create a playlist, I usually populate it by dragging individual files from their folders into the playlist. Is it possible to create a playlist out of folders rather than separate files?

You can't do this with drag & drop, but you can via the right-click menu. Here's how to create quick playlist for some files. Multi-select the files you want in a playlist (using Ctrl+click or Shift+click) and then right-click on one of them and select the 'Create Playlist From Selection' menu item.

Another way to have playlist representation for your folders is to use the 'Add To Library' -> 'Scan Drive/Folder For Media Files' dialog. On this dialog, select the 'Add to playlist' checkbox and then select the 'Create sub-playlists based on folder hierarchy of files' checkbox. This will add your files into your Mezzmo library and create a playlist for every sub-folder that is finds during the scan.