PDA

View Full Version : Streaming reboots my Samsung UN46D7000?

dannward
10-09-2014, 07:26 AM
I have a strange issue streaming to my Samsung UN46D7000 TV. A few observations:

(1) DVDs ripped to MP4 or MKV with Clone DVD mobile stream without error to my D series TV.
(2) BR DVDs ripped to MK4/H.264/AAC with HandBrake cause my D series to reboot as soon as streaming starts, unless....
(3) If I pre-transcode the BR MKV, it streams without error to my D series.
(4) The larger MKVs (without pre-transcoding) stream without issue to my Samsung UN65ES8000 TV.
(5) If I use the Mezzmo android client to push the same file to the D series, it plays without issue (but appears to transcode).

Any ideas?

Paul
10-09-2014, 09:17 AM
It appears your Blu-ray / DVD ripped to MKV/H.264/AAC are being streamed directly to your Samsung D-series TV (based on the device profile you are using - I assume Samsung D) but your TV's firmware is unable to decode / play the video. This will be due to one or more of the attributes of the video (e.g. video bitrate, H.264 level, etc.). Transcoding the video in Mezzmo fixes the problem, so I suggest you need to adjust your Handbrake DVD / Blu-ray rip settings to more conservative values (e.g. lower the video bitrate) and try streaming the video again. Let us know what you find and we can adjust the device profile so that this type of file is not streamed directly to your TV but transcoded to a compatible video.

dannward
10-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Paul.

I'll re-rip the BR and see if a lower bitrate makes a difference. Is there a way for me to check the video properties of the pre-transcoded file for comparison? If I can find the limits of my D series, I'll let you know.

Paul
10-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Is there a way for me to check the video properties of the pre-transcoded file for comparison?

To get FFmpeg information for transcoded files, right-click on the video and click Properties. On the Properties dialog, go to the Transcoding tab. Select the transcoded file listed there and click 'Get FFmpeg Information'.

dannward
10-11-2014, 01:14 PM
The problem seems to be with the subtitles within the MKV.

Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x800 [SAR 1:1 DAR 12:5], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 180k tbc (default)
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)
Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle, 1920x1080

Pre-transcoding produced a file without an include subtitle, so I opened the file in MKV tools, removed the subtitle, and saved the MKV. That file streamed without issue to my D series TV. I'll try re-ripping the BR in handbrake with the same settings I initially used, but without including the subtitles and see if that really was the root issue.

Paul
10-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Understand - let us know if your re-ripping works better.