PDA

View Full Version : DLNA streaming and subtitle support for Panasonic BDT-230 Blu ray Player

shriharsha.p
10-31-2014, 07:08 PM
Hi
I might be missing a trick here. I have switched to Mezzmo 4.0.6.0 from Plex for a very important reason: to stream subtitles on DLNA to my Panasonic BDT-230 player. Plex, I believe only allows transcoded files to burn in subtitles. However, when I press the options button in my Blu ray player, I do not see the subtitle selection option at all but only "sound" and "reception". Is there something I need to do at the Mezzmo end to enable this? My Blu-ray player is a fairly recent model and supports external subtitles in .srt format when a movie is played through a disc or usb.

Any help would be appreciated as this is a must have feature for me when streaming through DLNA.

Thanks
Harsha

Paul
10-31-2014, 07:19 PM
Hi Harsha,

First step would be to check that Mezzmo has found your subtitles. Right-click on a video in Mezzmo and click Properties. On the Properties dialog, go to the Subtitles tab and see if you can see your subtitles listed there. If not, then click the Update Subtitles button. If still not listed, then read through our Subtitles FAQ about file naming schemes - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/5977-Tutorial-Subtitling-Basics

If you have subtitles listed, then next we'd like you to capture a set of logs and we'll see what Mezzmo is streaming to your Panasonic BDP. Turn on logging in Mezzmo (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Now stream a video that you know has subtitles and try to get the subtitles to display. When they don't, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

shriharsha.p
10-31-2014, 08:06 PM
Hi Harsha,

First step would be to check that Mezzmo has found your subtitles. Right-click on a video in Mezzmo and click Properties. On the Properties dialog, go to the Subtitles tab and see if you can see your subtitles listed there. If not, then click the Update Subtitles button. If still not listed, then read through our Subtitles FAQ about file naming schemes - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/5977-Tutorial-Subtitling-Basics

If you have subtitles listed, then next we'd like you to capture a set of logs and we'll see what Mezzmo is streaming to your Panasonic BDP. Turn on logging in Mezzmo (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Now stream a video that you know has subtitles and try to get the subtitles to display. When they don't, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

Thanks Paul for the prompt reply. I see that subtitles are listed. I will try and capture the logs today and send across. Incidentally, my Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Blu Ray player was recognized as a BDT75 model. I have changed the profile to Panasonic BDP 2013. I hope I have done the right thing here,

Thanks
Harsha

Paul
10-31-2014, 08:25 PM
I have changed the profile to Panasonic BDP 2013. I hope I have done the right thing here

That should be fine. We'll know more when we see your logs.

shriharsha.p
11-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Hi Paul
I have zipped and sent the logs to the support id. Kindly get back to me at the earliest.

Thanks
Harsha

Paul
11-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks, Harsha. We'll analyse the logs and report back via email after we understand the problem you are experiencing.

shriharsha.p
11-03-2014, 05:41 AM
Hi Paul
Any luck with the logs I sent?

Thanks
Harsha

Paul
11-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Sorry for the delay, Harsha. We were very busy with the new v4.1 release. We'll get to your logs now & respond back via email.

shriharsha.p
11-04-2014, 12:18 AM
Sorry for the delay, Harsha. We were very busy with the new v4.1 release. We'll get to your logs now & respond back via email.

Hi Paul
I have sent the second set of logs. The suggested solution did not work out. On DLNA, my Panasonic BDT230 is not even showing the subtitle option under the option button.

Thanks
Harsha

TimC
11-04-2014, 02:59 AM
If your videos are MP4 or MKV format you can very simply merge the subtitle files into the main video.

I use MKV Merge , part of MKVtoolnix. The time to do this will only be measured in seconds, not minutes as there's no transcoding involved.

Paul
11-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Harsha: We'll check the logs and report back via email. Also, please email us one your external subtitle SRT files. We'll check it here.

TimC: Thanks for the suggestion!

shriharsha.p
11-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks TimC. I tried merging with handbrake and it took forever. When I play the subtitle-merged file, I still cannot see it when streaming to my Panasonic Blu Ray player. I will try with MKVMerge and report back.

Hi Paul
I will send across the

shriharsha.p
11-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Sorry for the incomplete message. I will send across the subtitle file Paul.

Thanks
Harsha

Paul
11-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks, Harsha.

shriharsha.p
11-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Hi Ppaul
Were you able to analyze the new set of logs and the srt file I sent? Do let me know the next steps,

Thanks
Harsha

Paul
11-06-2014, 07:40 PM
We're looking at them now & will report back via email.

shriharsha.p
11-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks.

On another note, I have a question on bitstreaming files using Mezzmo. Let's assume I have a Blu ray rip / movie file on my computer running Mezzmo. I would be streaming the files to my Panasonic Blu-ray player (DMP-BDT230) and then on to my Yamaha RXV-475 AVR, to which my Sony TV is connected. I DO NOT want any audio processing to be done by Mezzmo OR my Blu ray player (which is already set to bit stream signals to my AVR). In other words, unless a file is transcoded, all video and audio info should be passed through to my AVR without any processing. Is this how Mezzmo works by default or something has to be enabled at the Mezzmo end to achieve this?

Thanks
Harsha

Paul
11-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Mezzmo server decides to transcode your files based on the device profile you have assigned to your device in the Media Devices dialog, and also whether or not you have transcoding turned on for the device. When a file is supported by your device (as determined by the device profile you have assigned to your device) or you have transcoding turned off for the device, then Mezzmo server simply streams that file to your device without any modification. When a file is considered to be incompatible with your device and you have transcoding turned on, then Mezzmo server transcodes it on-the-fly and streams it to your device.