PDA

View Full Version : How can I make the Samsung Blu Ray (BD-D7500) a Digital Media Renderer?

jackyy
11-08-2014, 06:21 PM
DLNA has different classes of certified devices. If I've lost you at this point, please don't bother trying to answer my question. I need to find a way to make the blu ray discoverable on the network, but, because Samsung took the cheap lazy way out, it is only a Digital Media Player, meaning that although there are no hardware limitations, the firmware does not allow anything to be "pushed" to it. It can access shared files on the homegroup through a ridiculously inefficient method, and I can't take it. I have tried calling Samsung for support, but they had no idea what I was talking about as soon as I said DLNA. Afraid that I had stumbled upon the truth that they weren't qualified to do their jobs, they hung up on me. I've like exhausted Google with this question in various different wordings. I'm very tech savvy, but I'm at a loss. PLEASE HELP!!!

Paul
11-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Hi jackyy,

It's the firmware within the Samsung BDP that tells other devices on your home network that it's a DMP or DMR (or DMS or DMC), and there needs to be a bunch of code in the firmware to operate the DMR functionality. So the only way to make your Samsung BDP a DLNA DMR is to upgrade the firmware and, if Samsung are not going to do this, then I think sadly you are left with your Samsung BDP being just a DLNA DMP. If you really need DMR functionality, then you might need to shop around for another media player device on your home network.