PDA

View Full Version : Netgear media player

vcrpro3
11-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Has anyone using this software tried using it on a Netgear EVA9000 series? (Digital Entertainer Elite EVA9150 and Digital Entertainer Express EVA9100)

Paul
11-09-2014, 12:44 PM
We have one of the older Netgear Digital Entertainer Live units here (EVA2000) and Mezzmo works well with it. So, I'd suggest trying Mezzmo with your Netgear and see how it goes. Go to the media Devices dialog and assign the 'Netgear Digital Entertainer Live' device profile to your Netgear. If you have any problems, let us know and we'll help out.

jbinkley60
11-09-2014, 02:15 PM
I have an EVA-9150. I've used the Netgear NEO-550 profile. It's worked very well for me. The only reason I stopped using it was it doesn't have Play-To capability. It's been my favorite streamer box.

vcrpro3
11-09-2014, 05:56 PM
I downloaded Mezzmo 15 day trial. Going to the media devices dialog, the Netgear EVA9150 box does not show (but does in the windowsown network map) and have no option to even try to add its or any other profile. I expected this as that the website did not list it in supported devices. The Digital Entertainer Elite is about the same generation as theEVA2000 and the last OS that the Elites own software worked with was Windows 7 and i currently have a 8.1 machine.......

We have one of the older Netgear Digital Entertainer Live units here (EVA2000) and Mezzmo works well with it. So, I'd suggest trying Mezzmo with your Netgear and see how it goes. Go to the media Devices dialog and assign the 'Netgear Digital Entertainer Live' device profile to your Netgear. If you have any problems, let us know and we'll help out.

jbinkley60
11-09-2014, 10:17 PM
I downloaded Mezzmo 15 day trial. Going to the media devices dialog, the Netgear EVA9150 box does not show (but does in the windowsown network map) and have no option to even try to add its or any other profile. I expected this as that the website did not list it in supported devices. The Digital Entertainer Elite is about the same generation as theEVA2000 and the last OS that the Elites own software worked with was Windows 7 and i currently have a 8.1 machine.......

This sounds like a Windows firewall problem. The only difference from the map and Mezzmo seeing it is uPNP. My EVA-9150 works great. Do you have any devices showing up in the Media Devices tab for Mezzmo ?

Paul
11-10-2014, 05:06 AM
Check the possible reasons/solutions in this FAQ - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/1183-FAQ-Cannot-see-Mezzmo-on-your-DLNA-device. If still a problem, let us know and we'll help out.

vcrpro3
11-10-2014, 12:36 PM
None at all. Checked firewall inbound and outbound rules and Mezzmo seems to be ok'd...

This sounds like a Windows firewall problem. The only difference from the map and Mezzmo seeing it is uPNP. My EVA-9150 works great. Do you have any devices showing up in the Media Devices tab for Mezzmo ?

Paul
11-10-2014, 12:49 PM
None at all. Checked firewall inbound and outbound rules and Mezzmo seems to be ok'd...

Perhaps create a set of logs and we may be able to see the problem. Turn on logging in Mezzmo (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Turn off your Netgear device and then turn it on again. Wait a few minutes and then try to list Mezzmo on it. When it does not appear, then stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

vcrpro3
11-10-2014, 01:15 PM
A new problem just popped up on this &#^&& computer..The router no longer shows up on the network map nor can i access its webpage, but other devices connected to it are shown........AaArrrrghh!!!

vcrpro3
11-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Don't know what that was all about...Finally got into router settings.UPnP is off, cannot find any sttings options for other items. Router is Trendnet TEW-671br.

A new problem just popped up on this &#^&& computer..The router no longer shows up on the network map nor can i access its webpage, but other devices connected to it are shown........AaArrrrghh!!!

vcrpro3
11-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Okay. I do not know WTF i'm doing. reached my level of incompetance.

Peter
11-10-2014, 04:30 PM
You said you checked the Firewall rules and Mezzmo seemed to be okay, can you please try turning off the firewall to see if any devices appear in the Media Devices list?

vcrpro3
11-12-2014, 03:48 PM
The way ihave things connected in my network are: Modem output to router. From router there are 2 cables-one to my main computer(which is the server), the other cable goes to a network switch to which are connected my smart tv, a bluray player, a network Onkyo AV receiver, another PC and the Netgear box. By turning on everything that is connected to the switch, the Netgear box finally showed up in the Mezzmo device list. Looking at the menu on the netgear, i cannot determine what and where i would have to input info on the server pc

You said you checked the Firewall rules and Mezzmo seemed to be okay, can you please try turning off the firewall to see if any devices appear in the Media Devices list?

Peter
11-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Looking at the menu on the netgear, i cannot determine what and where i would have to input info on the server pc
I am not sure what you mean by this, does Mezzmo appear in the server list on the Netgear?

vcrpro3
11-12-2014, 05:34 PM
It does not.....More info-In the network map, i see this as properties for the Digital entertainer Elite-747. The ip address ends in 105. The next screenshot shows the Mezzmo media devices and device settings. The mac address box is blank and i cannot input the value and the ip address ends in 101 and i cannot edit that either. The profile is actually 'generic device (ntsc)'748

vcrpro3
11-13-2014, 04:02 AM
Submitted support request......

Paul
11-13-2014, 09:47 AM
OK - we'll assist via email to get you up and running.

vcrpro3
11-13-2014, 04:04 PM
I uninstalled the product. The software finally saw devices on the network. I tried the profile for the DE LIve to no avail... The problem lies in the Netgear device. The user manual and the device's own menu structure is ncomprehensible to me. In no way is there any info regarding what parameters and where the user has to input into the DE Elite to in order for it to use third party server software...i would need someone that knows the Netgear and what is needed to set into it to get it to possibly work.......

Paul
11-13-2014, 05:31 PM
OK - hopefully another owner of this device can help here. Or, try searching for your device model on AVSforum. They typically have owner's threads where you can get excellent help & ask questions to other owners - see this link: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php

vcrpro3
11-13-2014, 06:05 PM
I actually found out about Mezzmo at AVS Forum. For shits and giggles, a friend has a windows 7 laptop and let me install the DE Elite program, all worked as designed- however my PC is an 8.1 powerhouse with two Sans Digital HDD banks with 20TB of music and video stored and it would be too much of a PIA to change to/obtain a Win 7 machine. I may try again down the line with another streaming box if i can find one cheap; eg. a DE Live as its profile is already in Mezzmo. Probably gonna craigslist the Netgear Elite.........BTW; Pretty much all of the posts on the internet and forums like AVS are by owners of DE Elites EVA9150 and its lower priced sibling, the DE Express EVA9100...seeking resolution also on how to make them work under Win 8.1.

Paul
11-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Understand. Another cheap media player to consider that works well is the WD TV Live. Good format support and works well with Mezzmo. Quite a few WD TV Live owners post here and will happily help you get setup. Post back if you have any further questions and we'll help out.

jbinkley60
11-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Just an FYI, I run both a Netgear EVA-9150 and the WD Live devices. You don't need a PC to run the Netgear EVA-9150. The PC app is just for remote control but you can setup everything from the device interface on your TV to run with Mezzmo. I've never used the PC app, other than some initial testing just to see what it does. 2.4.170 is the latest version of software for the EVA-9150.

vcrpro3
11-14-2014, 03:37 AM
...I would need more info on that.....I know the the 9150 is also considered a form of NAS device, but the internal HDD (according to what i read in the manual) is used for both media buffering and can be used to locally store media, albeit sent to it from the network server (how would you do that without a PC as a server?). Also, as i have stated that connected to my PC are two Sans Digital TR5 boxes on which reside 20+TB of video and audio. My goal is to be able to listen and view the content in two other rooms than where the equipment resides. Info regarding settings that have to be applied to the 9150 along with where in its menu (and maybe some screenshots) would be helpful.....again, i am not quite that saavy when it comes to these things.....:(

jbinkley60
11-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Let's start with a couple of basic items. Yes, the EVA-9150 has a hard drive in it. There are two ways to load files onto the drive. One is through the PC application and the second is to enable drive sharing. This is under the Supervisor Functions--> Advanced menu. One you enable it and set the password, you can then map the drive from your PC and drag/drop files onto it. However, one question is why would you want to put files on it ? If you were using it in stand-alone mode that would make sense. But with Mezzmo you just connect to Mezzmo, browse your media and play it from the Mezzmo server. To browse Mezzmo just select video from the main screen, Mezzmo from the next screen and then it will take you to the Mezzmo delivered menus. If you select video from the main menu, do you see Mezzmo showing up ? Another nice thing about the EVA-9150 is that it support 2.4 and 5Gig radios for wireless. The 5 gig is great for hit bitrate streaming. The EVA-9150 is m\nice but it isn't without its quirks and they aren't releasing new software for it. It is out of support.