PDA

View Full Version : How to align RTL subtitles?

Guy
12-25-2014, 08:25 AM
Hello,
I am running mezzmo for a long time and everything runs perfect. but what problem I have since the beginning is that for Hebrew subtitles, which is Right-to-Left language, all the symbols such as dots, question marks (.,-?! etc) that end the sentence are at the wrong side.

it is like writing in Hebrew while the align is set to LTR instead of RTL.

Here is a picture to help
http://i.imgur.com/laJUKYy.png

The first is the correct way it should look like,
the second is wrong and this is how its shown in mezzmo + hebrew subtitles.

Hope you can help.

Paul
12-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Can you email us a sample Hebrew external subtitle file (e.g. .SRT) and we'll reproduce the problem here. Email it to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

Guy
12-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Hi Paul.
I checked the issue farther and my first thought was wrong, Mezzmo is working perfectly with RTL, it is the subtitles itself that is encoded as LTR,
this is the way its been done for many years since there was no support for RTL in the past for many devices.

So now my question is, is there a way to show Hebrew subtitles but in LTR encoding instead of RTL? this should fix the problem since all the subtitles are made in LTR instead of RTL.

Thanks

snir2651
12-30-2014, 03:45 AM
hello Paul,

The Hebrew subtitles written in LTR but all the PC movie viewers like "Media Player Classic, Bsplayer, etc" show them correctly.

My TV(LG LE5500) as well shows the problem when playing Hebrew subtitles,

Please give us a solution for proper viewing.

Paul
12-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Please email us an example subtitle file and we'll try it here. Email it to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

Try this: Right-click on the video and click Properties. On the Properties dialog, go to the Subtitles tab. On the Subtitles tab, select the subtitle and click Subtitle Settings. On the Subtitle Settings dialog, you can move the slider to preview the subtitles. Try changing the Codepage to see if this changes the RTL / LTR nature. Let us know how you go.

snir2651
12-31-2014, 07:37 AM
Please email us an example subtitle file and we'll try it here. Email it to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

Try this: Right-click on the video and click Properties. On the Properties dialog, go to the Subtitles tab. On the Subtitles tab, select the subtitle and click Subtitle Settings. On the Subtitle Settings dialog, you can move the slider to preview the subtitles. Try changing the Codepage to see if this changes the RTL / LTR nature. Let us know how you go.

Sent you a subtitle for checking, and the tip that you gave us doesn't work.

Thank you for your help.

Paul
12-31-2014, 10:35 AM
OK - thanks. We'll try the subtitles and report back via email.

Guy
01-01-2015, 01:41 AM
Yes I sent as well,
in the subtitle preview it looks fine but on the TV punctuation are reversed. (just to make it clear again, punctuation are reversed on the original subtitle files as well, so we need the option to stream a Hebrew subs as LTR even that it is wrong)

happy new year

Paul
01-01-2015, 11:05 AM
If the subtitle preview looks fine in Mezzmo, then we know that Mezzmo is reading and displaying the subtitles correctly. If your TV is not displaying them correctly, then Mezzmo server must be passing the external subtitle file directly to your TV and your TV's firmware is displaying them incorrectly. We cannot fix your TV's firmware. A workaround is to get Mezzmo to burn the subtitles into the transcoded video before streaming them so that they are displayed correctly. To burn subtitles into your transcoded video, try doing this: Right-click on your video in Mezzmo and click 'Pre-transcode Files'. On the Pre-transcode Files dialog, select your device and click 'Choose Formats'. On the Pre-transcode Formats dialog, select the bolded format and click the 'Force burning subtitles' checkbox. Click OK and then click the 'Pre-transcode files even if they match the devices formats' checkbox. Click OK to start transcoding and wait until it has completed. Then try streaming the video again to your device. Hopefully you see correct subtitles now.

Guy
01-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Yes! Your solution worked! Thanks your'e awesome and your software is great.

Is there a guide to make the transcoding faster? I have a nice average++ computer but only get 20-30fps.

Paul
01-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Glad that works :). Burning subtitles can be a little slow since Mezzmo is burning the subtitles into each video frame of the video, so as you can imagine this will take some time if you have a 1080p HD movie. In this case, faster transcoding can be obtained by providing as much CPU and memory to Mezzmo (and ffmpeg.exe, which is used by Mezzmo to transcode your videos). Try closing down any other programs and you may get some speed improvements.