PDA

View Full Version : What is the User Task Status Telling Me?

larrymcg
01-28-2015, 05:57 AM
When maintaining a Playlist, the User Task status claims to be processing thousands of files and to have updated thousands of files.
However, only a few of the thousands actually need updating. What is this status really saying?

I'm trying to attach a jpg of the status - not sure it's going to happen!

-- Larry

Paul
01-28-2015, 08:49 AM
Hi Larry,

When you maintain your library (or a playlist/folder), Mezzmo must scan through all files in your library (or playlist/folder) to check if they need updating. As each file is checked whether maintenance is required, the number of files processed is increased. For any file that may need to be updated, then the number of files updated is increased.

larrymcg
01-28-2015, 10:31 AM
Paul, Your explanation is what I would expect to be happening. But what I am seeing is that the status claims it is updating every file it processes. The attachment in my original post was taken while the scan was in progress and it shows that several thousand files were processed and updated but I had only updated 10 or 20 files. Every time I do maintenance the number of updated files closely follows the number processed (in fact, it might equal the number processed).

I will now try another maintenance with no files needing updating to see what the status shows and will post the results.

-- Larry

Additional note: I have the option set to Update All Attributes. Maybe that is why the number of files updated is the same as the number processed?

larrymcg
01-28-2015, 10:56 AM
OK, I'm pretty sure that the option to Update All Attributes is why the number updated is the same as the number processed. Makes sense.

I am using that option because it is the only way (that I have found) to get Mezzmo to pick changes I have manually made to the properties of the files. The only option other than updating all attributes is to update new files or files with empty attributes. A file I have manually changed is neither.

I guess a third updating option would be good for me - that is, one that updates new files or files with changed attributes. For now I will stick with the update all option.

-- Larry

Paul
01-28-2015, 02:14 PM
That's right- when you select the "Update all attributes" radio button on the Maintain Library dialog, it tells Mezzmo to check and update all files - whereas the "Only update new files or files with empty attributes" radio button will only check for new files and files that have some empty/blank attributes.

When you manually change a file's metadata in the Properties dialog and click OK, Mezzmo saves this information into your Mezzmo database and then kicks off processing active playlists as a system task so that they are all kept up-to-date with your file changes. Once the active playlist processing has completed, your active playlists will be up-to-date with the file changes. You should not need to run maintenance.

larrymcg
01-28-2015, 02:37 PM
I have been making changes to the actual file's properties using the Windows Properties dialog. If WMP is active when I make the changes through Windows, WMP sees the changes and updates its database. I'll test to see if the same is true for Mezzmo. I don't have Mezzmo running when I make the changes with Windows Properties.

You mentioned changing a file's metadata in the Properties dialog. Did you mean the properties dialog provided by Mezzmo?

-- Larry

larrymcg
01-28-2015, 02:44 PM
I just tested making a change via Windows dialog with WMP and Mezzmo active. WMP saw the change but Mezzmo did not. The only way to get Mezzmo to see the change now is to do maintenance with the Update All Attributes turned on.

-- Larry

Paul
01-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Understand. Yes - I mean when you make changes using the Properties dialog in Mezzmo, then Mezzmo will automatically update your folders & playlists for you.

If you wish to edit your files using Windows Properties dialog, then you will need to maintain your files in Mezzmo. The most efficient way to do this is to right-click on the file in Mezzmo and click 'Maintain Files'. This will just maintain the selected file(s) rather than maintaining your whole library or playlist/folder. You can select multiple files in Mezzmo (using Ctrl key or Shift key with your mouse) and right-click on one of them and click 'Maintain Files' to update several files in one action.