PDA

View Full Version : Problems transcoding subtitles in MKV

blabla296
02-01-2015, 04:17 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to Mezzmo but already quite in love : does a great job and the encoding quality is awesome !

However, I am running into issues while playing MKV files on my Sony Bravia kdl-32ex650. As far as I understand Mezzmo, it will transcode the MKV on the fly with the embeeded subtitles to make it readable by the Bravia through DLNA, right ? I searched on the forum already and didn't quite understand what I did wrong. I've read the FAQ sticky concerning subtitles as well.

Find below 2 screenshots of my configuration :

On the first, I can see that it's actually burning the file to mpeg + burn.fr, which means subtitles, right ? I don't know if the configuration for the devices are setup correctly but I think so. However, when I play the transcoded file in VLC for example, there are no burned subtitles, neither on the Bravia.

Any help would be deeply appreciated !

Thanks in advance.

Paul
02-02-2015, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the detailed notes. You do not mention the device profile that is assigned to your TV. Check this in the Media Devices dialog. I guess it is currently 'Sony Bravia KDL (2011 Models)'. This device profile does not allow for external or embedded subtitles to be delivered to your TV since these Sony Bravia TV models do not support external or embedded subtitles - so Mezzmo burns the subtitles into the video during transcoding. You could try the 'Sony Bravia KDL (2012 Models)' device profile. This does support embedded subtitles in MKV file containers. After changing the device profile, try streaming the video again. If your TV supports displaying the subtitles, then that's probably your best choice for device profile. If your TV cannot display the embedded subs, then I suggest you go back to 'Sony Bravia KDL (2011 Models)' since your TV has limited (no) subtitle support via DLNA streaming.