PDA

View Full Version : HDHomerun Prime profile?

Toby425
03-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Newbie trying to figure out how to get this to work. Default for the Prime tuner is Generic ATSC. On Win 8.1 I can add the channels I'm interested in to a folder/playlist, and in Mezzmo I can see the channel just fine. Super so far! Then I go to my M-Series Vizio Smart TV and I can get to the folder with the channels listed as ".mpg" extensions. But when I click on any of them the TV does nothing...so I'm thinking that maybe some transcoding needs to be done to the stream from Prime? But that should have had the same effect on the computer too? I don't know what to even look for at this point as there doesn't seem to be a profile for the HDHomerun Prime unit.

Sorry for going on, but I would be most relieved to get a little help.

Thanks!

Toby425
03-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Sorry - meant Generic NTSC device. I think....:)

Peter
03-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Hi,
it sounds like there might be an issue with the device profile assigned to the Vizio Smart TV, please try going to 'Media Devices' and double-click the Vizio TV in the list then change the profile to 'Vizio Smart TV' to see if this allows you to stream the content to the TV. If you still have problems please enable diagnostic logging http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging then after restarting your Mezzmo media server try streaming the content to the TV again then send the logs to support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we can investigate.

Toby425
03-05-2015, 04:48 PM
Thanks for your reply Peter! I'll change the Vizio Profile and give it another few tries...probably be later on in the day before I can get to though...

Again, thanks -and here's hoping!

Toby425
03-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Hmmm....Going to have to sleep on it - now I can't see the stream on my computer. Will do more checking or perhaps a clean install and start over with logging turned on. Later...must sleep now.

Again, thanks.

Toby425
03-06-2015, 06:01 AM
Logs sent.

Other behavior cropped up when using Mezzmo as the player - it opens a web page for Quicktime. Still no video shows,though. Don't know how I got it yesturday without going through Chrome and Quicktime.Just a mystery....

Again, thanks for your time and trouble.

Peter
03-06-2015, 09:19 AM
Hi,
we have not received your logs, possibly the email was rejected by our email server. Please try uploading the logs to a file sharing site such as dropbox or google drive and send us a download link.
If you use the Mezzmo android app as the player then the video may be opened in a web viewer as the Mezzmo app does not have a built-in video player (we are adding this for version 2.0).

The HD Homerun device appears to act as a DLNA server so you could go to the network pane in Mezzmo on your PC and add the content to your Mezzmo library then try streaming the file to the Vizio TV.

Toby425
03-06-2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks Peter! I emailed the link to my dropbox so hope you get it this time. If not I'll just post it here next time.

I'll give your suggestion a go although I thought I'd done it that way before. I'll try to follow your steps more carefully this time lol

Thanks again!

edit-her is the link anyway just in case....

link removed

Peter
03-06-2015, 09:34 AM
We got your logs and they indicate transcoding is disabled, please enable transcoding in 'Transcoding Settings' to see if the file plays on the TV.

Toby425
03-06-2015, 10:08 AM
OK - here's another set of logs.

link removed

I did not see anything to check to Turn Transcoding On - only the box to turn it OFF.

So I made sure it was not checked. No luck. I then set all the files to be pre-transcoded. Still no luck, but I did take another set of diagnostic logs.

Hope it helps!

Peter
03-06-2015, 11:33 AM
There is another location where transcoding can be disable in Device Settings, please go to 'Media Devices' and double-click your TV in the list (192.168.1.19) then on the Transcoding tab make sure the box to transcode incompatible formats is checked.

If Mezzmo is still delivering the original file to the TV because it matches the device profile you can force transcoding by going to the Advanced tab on the Device Settings dialog and change the setting for 'Deliver media files supported by the device' to 'Never Deliver' and then Mezzmo will transcode the files.

When files are added to the library from the Network Pane in Mezzmo the original URL provided by the host server (the HD Homerun) is sent to the device if the file format matches the device profile, so currently Mezzmo is listing the file for the Vizio TV with the URL for the HD Homerun and when the TV tries to play it the request is going to the HD Homerun and we cannot see any information about this exchange in the logs because the HD Homerun is handling the request. If Mezzmo transcodes the file then the Mezzmo server is requesting the content from the HD homerun then transcoding it and transferring the content to the TV so we should see more information about what is happening in the logs.

Toby425
03-07-2015, 06:17 AM
OK - another set of logs sent, hopefully with transcoding on....

Toby425
03-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Sorry - email seems to be acting up... here is the link to the latest logs with transcoding (hopefully) on... although there was still no go on seeing the stream...

removed link

Peter
03-07-2015, 04:41 PM
The logs still indicate that Mezzmo is listing the original URL from the HD Homerun. If you have set the Advanced options in Device Settings to Never Deliver files supported by the device then something must be going wrong as the file is not being transcoded. The logs indicate you have two Vizio TVs listed in 'Media Devices' so you could try deleting both of these then let Mezzmo rediscover them and try setting the Advanced setting again.

You can also try editing the device profile for Vizio Smart TV and change the id of the mpeg container so that it never matches native files:

Change
<avcontainer id="mpeg"

To
<avcontainer id="mpeg_nomatch"

This will still allow transcoding.

Toby425
03-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Thanks Peter - I did both of your suggestions by deleting and refreshing the devices as well as edit of vizio smart tv profile. Still no joy at the tv. Logs are below (perhaps we could save some time if you could point out where to find whether transcoding took place or was attempted?).

link removed

Again, thanks so much for all the time you are devoting to this. I appreciate it!

ps - the tv is detected as YamahaBDP...don't have a clue why lol

Peter
03-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Hi Toby,
the log still shows the original URL from the HD Homerun and that transcoding is disabled but it appears that transcoding is enabled in Device Settings for the TV and also in Transcoding Settings so this may be a bug in the current version of Mezzmo, we will investigate further.

Toby425
03-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Thanks so much for your time and effort Peter. Will be super if we can get this working!

If there is anything else I can do that would provide helpful info for you just let me know and I'll do my best.

Again. thanks!

Toby425
03-10-2015, 01:54 PM
OK Peter - here are the log files with HDHR tuner device set to Vizio Smart TV with transcoding on, and transcoding advanced as default and forced, along with setting HDHR Prime the same way, both of them set, setting Vizio Smart TV device to both default transcode under advanced and forced transcode. No combination made any difference to the results at the tv.

both HDHR Prime and HDHR tuner set to default Vizio Smart TV forced transcode, with tv itself forced transcode
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3698828/MezzmobithHDHR%20devices%20set%20toVizio.zip

both HDHR and TV forced transcode
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3698828/MezzmoMediaServerboth%20forced.zip

everything set to default transcode
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3698828/MezzmoMediaServerbothdefault.zip

I have more log files but my rotten naming has me confused as to the various combination conditions. These three that are above should at least provide some additional info for you.

Thanks!

Toby425
03-10-2015, 02:25 PM
I was looking through the MezzmoMediaService.txt file and saw under ID 2 The HDHR Tuner was showint the UPnPUrl as using port 80 - most everything I've seen about how HDHomerun Prime works uses port 5004. Just not sure if those things are supposed to be the same are not. The Prime api seems to be using the following

Channel lineup available at http://<ipaddress>/lineup.xml or http://<ipaddress>/lineup.json

Tune a channel with http://<ipaddress>:5004/auto/v<channelnumber>

so maybe the use of the Vizio Smart TV profile won't work to get the stream going?

I think I'm just confusing myself...

Peter
03-10-2015, 03:05 PM
From looking at the item description in the logs it appears that the streams from the HD Homerun are missing the resolution, bitrate, channels and sample rate. Can you please right-click on one of the HD Homerun files in Mezzmo and go to properties then select the Video tab to see if these values are listed.

Peter
03-10-2015, 03:27 PM
As another test of the files you could try pre-transcoding one of them for the Vizio Smart TV. http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/6025-Tutorial-Pre-transcoding-Files

Toby425
03-11-2015, 04:28 AM
Thanks Peter! I'll get to the pre-transcode as soon as we have something to pre-transcode - under every condition I can put HDHomerun Prime in as far as application use goes, not one of them let Mezzmo see any information under Properties - ) length 0 time no codec, just nothing at all.

Under ffmpeg information it also gets nothing - first an http (some addressof 000000sfs?whatever) error 406 Not acceptable
followed by the http string supposedly used by Prime as /http...auto/v104?dlna input/output Not Acceptable.

So I'm guessing that something isn't right somewhere lol

Rainey
03-15-2015, 08:57 AM
Thanks Peter! I'll get to the pre-transcode as soon as we have something to pre-transcode - under every condition I can put HDHomerun Prime in as far as application use goes, not one of them let Mezzmo see any information under Properties - ) length 0 time no codec, just nothing at all.

Under ffmpeg information it also gets nothing - first an http (some addressof 000000sfs?whatever) error 406 Not acceptable
followed by the http string supposedly used by Prime as /http...auto/v104?dlna input/output Not Acceptable.

So I'm guessing that something isn't right somewhere lol
I have not read the forums in a long time so maybe i missed where this can be done.
But you are stating you have a HD Homerun Prime. That is a Cablecard tuner or if using without a cablecard in it then is is a QAM tuner. If used on a cable system then the cablecard is needed (unless you clear QAM channels) and the channels are encrypted. The HDHR Prime only send a stream (not a file) and the device it is sent to must be HDCP compliant. I do not think it is possible to trans-code these streams.

The HDHR has a bulit in DLNA server is this what you are trying to connect to with Mezzmo ?

Rainey

Toby425
03-15-2015, 02:57 PM
I have not read the forums in a long time so maybe i missed where this can be done.
But you are stating you have a HD Homerun Prime. That is a Cablecard tuner or if using without a cablecard in it then is is a QAM tuner. If used on a cable system then the cablecard is needed (unless you clear QAM channels) and the channels are encrypted. The HDHR Prime only send a stream (not a file) and the device it is sent to must be HDCP compliant. I do not think it is possible to trans-code these streams.

The HDHR has a bulit in DLNA server is this what you are trying to connect to with Mezzmo ?

Rainey

Thanks Rainey! Yes I am using a CableCard and thus trying to use the built-in DLNA server through Mezzmo.

There was an old thread on the HDHR forum on using Mezzmo in just that fashion - around version 3 of Mezzmo. Sadly I have not gotten any luck on Silcondust forums to find out how they set Mezzmo up. And since Mezzmo is well past that old version it probably wouldn't help anyway.

The Vizio Smart TV sadly is not in tune with seeing HDHR but does see Mezzmo just fine.

Any ideas on what to try?

Thanks for your post!

Rainey
03-16-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks Rainey! Yes I am using a CableCard and thus trying to use the built-in DLNA server through Mezzmo.

There was an old thread on the HDHR forum on using Mezzmo in just that fashion - around version 3 of Mezzmo. Sadly I have not gotten any luck on Silcondust forums to find out how they set Mezzmo up. And since Mezzmo is well past that old version it probably wouldn't help anyway.

The Vizio Smart TV sadly is not in tune with seeing HDHR but does see Mezzmo just fine.

Any ideas on what to try?

Thanks for your post!
Well i have a Samsung TV, and until yesterday i was running Mezzmo 3.0.2 and i could not see the HDHR Primes at all in Mezzmo. I loaded the latest version of Mezzmo and the HDHR devices are now listed in the the list of devices Mezzmo sees. But i don't know where to go from there.

The real question is, i guess you want to use mezzmo because the Visio TV does not see the HDHR prime on its own. My samsung D6000 does not have that problem, but the DNLA interface is not very good even if it does work. The problems are , it lists all the channels even if you don't get those channels, so i would get a list of 1500 channels and to page to the channel you want could take 10 to 15 minutes. Also it only worked with the non DRM channels i think.

the HDHR view app is adding a favorites list so you could have a DNLA list of just the channels you want.

You may want to take a look at this software HDHRFling for the HDHR and it might work for you http://hdhrfling.com/

Toby425
03-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Well i have a Samsung TV, and until yesterday i was running Mezzmo 3.0.2 and i could not see the HDHR Primes at all in Mezzmo. I loaded the latest version of Mezzmo and the HDHR devices are now listed in the the list of devices Mezzmo sees. But i don't know where to go from there.

The real question is, i guess you want to use mezzmo because the Visio TV does not see the HDHR prime on its own. My samsung D6000 does not have that problem, but the DNLA interface is not very good even if it does work. The problems are , it lists all the channels even if you don't get those channels, so i would get a list of 1500 channels and to page to the channel you want could take 10 to 15 minutes. Also it only worked with the non DRM channels i think.

the HDHR view app is adding a favorites list so you could have a DNLA list of just the channels you want.

You may want to take a look at this software HDHRFling for the HDHR and it might work for you http://hdhrfling.com/

Thanks again for your reply! Samsung seems to do much better than Vizio as far as DLNA goes. And Plex too - the Samsung BlueRay player we have has a very functional Plex app that works great with HDHR Prime. So that takes care one one of 3 TVs. The Plex app on the Vizio Smart TV is still being developed and does not work for HDHR. Which leaves us trying to get Mezzmo to work. Mezzmo does see all the channels on our cable plan, as well as those flagged as favorites. Everything works until Mezzmo attempts to initiate the stream. Sadly it doesn't get anything going because it can't get the stream going. Plex fakes it a bit by using a set duration of 4 hours. But it does work. Mezzmo shows zero duration zero length and no joy on streaming as a cause/effect of not dealing with the HDHR in a successful way.

The middle and older Vizio doesn't have Plex and doesn't seem to see Mezzmo either. But I may not have spent enough time on it yet. And sine that one has an XBox on it I can get XBMC to work with it and the HDHR.

Maybe have to wait for another iteration of everything. Or get another TV lol. Or just suck it up and rent another DTA from the cable company...

I looked at HDHRFling but it does not look like it will work for the Vizio at this time. Worse case we can get another Samsung BlueRay player. Or just stay with Netflix for that TV.

Rainey
03-21-2015, 02:32 PM
The middle and older Vizio doesn't have Plex and doesn't seem to see Mezzmo either. But I may not have spent enough time on it yet. And sine that one has an XBox on it I can get XBMC to work with it and the HDHR.

If you are using the latest version of XBMC then SD just released a new add-on for it, that works with the HDHR boxes, non DRM channels only.
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=18949

Toby425
03-30-2015, 03:35 AM
Yhanks - I saw that news, but it still won't work without additional hardware on the tv that will run Kodi. Probably will pick up the cheapest Samsung Blue-ray player that has the Plex app available. Or just steal my wfe's...ummm I mean borrow! really! Honest! Until I get one for myself...:)

RonB
06-16-2018, 08:12 AM
Hi,

I'm wondering if there was ever a fix for this.

I have an HDHomerun, and I can get Mezzmo to see the server, and the channels, But Mezzmo just doesn't
want to transcode.

I've tried everything I can think of, but no luck. I even tried the latest FFmpeg; no change.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

jbinkley60
06-16-2018, 08:35 AM
I am running the HDHomerun Connect Quatro and have Mezzmo connections setup for the live stream captures for certain channels I like to watch. My DLNA Mezzmo clients are all Kodi so I don't need to transcode the MPEG2 HD Homerun Connect outputs. The exception is Mezzmo web access where I am using a browser to access Mezzmo. For that transcoding of the HDHomerun streams works fine as long as I use the Flow based format and not VP8 (HTML5). Which HDHomerun device are you using and what client types accessing Mezzmo need transcoding ?

RonB
06-16-2018, 09:05 AM
I am running the HDHorerun Connect Quatro and have Mezzmo connections setup for the live stream captures for certain channels I like to watch. My DLNA Mezzmo clients are all Kodi so I don't need to transcode the MPEG2 HD Homerun Connect outputs. The exception is Mezzmo web access where I am using a browser to access Mezzmo. For that transcoding of the HDHomerun streams works fine as long as I use the Flow based format and not VP8 (HTML5). Which HDHomerun device are you using and what client types accessing Mezzmo need transcoding ?

I'm using the HDHR4-2US unit. The client's are Roku premiere and Roku2.

jbinkley60
06-16-2018, 11:22 AM
Ok. The HDHR4-2US is the slightly older 2 tuner version of what I have and outputs MPEG2. Roku doesn't support MPEG2 natively due to them not wanting to deal with the licensing but I saw this article (https://www.techhive.com/article/3249091/streaming-hardware/hdhomerun-plans-a-new-dvr-box.html) recently where the Silicon Dust HDHomrerun folks are pushing them to support MPEG2 now since their are no longer licensing fees. Audio codec support on Roku devices is a real issue. I have a few Roku Ultras. I'll try to do some testing tomorrow and see if I can get it working.

RonB
06-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Ok. The HDHR4-2US is the slightly older 2 tuner version of what I have and outputs MPEG2. Roku doesn't support MPEG2 natively due to them not wanting to deal with the licensing but I saw this article (https://www.techhive.com/article/3249091/streaming-hardware/hdhomerun-plans-a-new-dvr-box.html) recently where the Silicon Dust HDHomrerun folks are pushing them to support MPEG2 now since their are no longer licensing fees. Audio codec support on Roku devices is a real issue. I have a few Roku Ultras. I'll try to do some testing tomorrow and see if I can get it working.

Thanks, much appreciated. :)

jbinkley60
06-17-2018, 12:58 AM
I did some testing today and my results were mixed. The first question is what error or behavior are you seeing when Roku attempts to connect to the HDHomerun URL ? I am seeing Roku say retrieving and then if fails saying lost connection to the server. Mezzmo shows it transcoding into hls h264 format. I think there is something needed in the Roku Streaming profile relate to MPEG2 and proper transcoding that Roku understands. I was able to get the HDHomerun working via a kludge. I changed the Mezzmo profile for my Roku Ultra to Kodi (which has full MPEG2 support), disabled the Live stream option for one of the channels in Mezzmo and then did a force transcode into h264 format. That worked and the Roku device would play the stream. Peter and team will need to look at this. They may need a set of logs to help determine what is needed in the Roku profile.

RonB
06-17-2018, 06:20 AM
Ok, I think I see the problem but Peter and team will need to confirm. The Roku device profile doesn't seem to have an MPEG2 section. I was able to get it working by changing the device profile for my Roku to Kodi and then forcing a pretranscode to h.264 format, which Roku understands. This is not a preferred approach. I think Peter and team just need to add the MPEG section to the Roku profile. They'll likely pick this thread up on Monday.

Thanks for the effort.
At least it looks promising.

Peter
06-18-2018, 09:07 AM
The Roku profile should be able to transcode the HDHomerun stream to hls if it is marked as live in Mezzmo, possibly we could add an mpegts section to the profile for live only streaming if hls does not work. Can you please enable diagnostic logging http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=using_logging&s[]=diagnostic then after restarting your Mezzmo media server try streaming one of the HDHomerun URLs on the Roku through Mezzmo then send the logs to support [at] conceiva [dot] com after it fails to play.

jbinkley60
06-18-2018, 11:51 AM
I have sent a set of logs. Thanks.

RonB
06-19-2018, 07:49 AM
Using NextPVR, I recorded a few shows, and put them in a folder within Mezzmo. Seems to work fine. There is about a 12-15 seconds delay before it plays, but no big deal.

Just a wild guess, but it seems as if Mezzmo is waiting for the (live) steam to stop before it starts to transcode. It makes no difference if I have live stream checked or not; same result.

Another thing I noticed during testing is if I tell Mezzmo to "play to VLC" it starts Firefox, and begins to download; not play. I can copy and paste the link directly into VLC and it works fine.

I see jbinkley60 has already sent logs.
Let me know if you need mine.

Thanks for the help.

Peter
06-19-2018, 09:15 AM
Glad to hear it is working, the delay will be due to Mezzmo waiting for enough of the file to be transcoded so that it can be streamed without interruption or stuttering.

The play to VLC is odd, VLC must be registering as a UPnP renderer on your PC and then when it receives the URL it is launching Firefox or possibly there is an extension in Firefox doing this? Mezzmo is just sending a URL and a play command to the media renderer registering itself as VLC.

If it is working then we shouldn't need the logs, we are looking at jbinkley60's logs to see why transcoding is failing.

RonB
06-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Yeah, it's transcoding the prerecorded stuff fine, but the live stream is a no go. Just wanted to make sure I was clear about that.

Mezzo clearly can transcode the hdhomerun stream fine, as that's the way NextPVR is saving them (mpeg2).

I'll check Firefox for an extension and see if that's it.

Thanks again Peter.

jbinkley60
06-19-2018, 09:29 PM
Peter provided me a new Roku profile which works with the HDHomerun live stream. I've tested it and it works. It does take a few seconds for Roku to retrieve the stream and display. I presume that is due to transcoding. I actually use the HDHomerun DVR with Mezzmo and like PVR it drops them into folders where Mezzmo discovers them. VLC does have a Firefox extension for the reason Peter described, to act as a DMR. Folks wanted to play videos via from DLNA sources like (but much better than) the MS Media player. For a long time VLC didn't have this option nor to use a browser to launch VLC.

RonB
06-20-2018, 01:15 AM
That's good news. They've always been quick to fix any problems.
I'm looking forward to trying the fix.

Thanks for the update jbinkley60

Peter
06-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Hi Ron, please send an email to support [at]] conceiva [dot] com and I will send you the profile to try.

RonB
06-20-2018, 11:07 AM
OK, seems to work on the standard definition channels, but it stops after 15 seconds or so the first time. If I restart and pause a few minutes and resume, it seems to be good. This being the same channel tested. CPU usage is at 30-40 percent (ffmpeg).

Testing with an HD channel plays for about 3-4 seconds and stops. Restarting makes it severely pixilated. Unwatchable and PC is at 100% CPU again by ffmpeg. I assume that my computer just doesn't have the power needed.

It's a Dell running an I5 quad core @3.1 GHz
With 8gb ram. ffmpeg is 64bit ver.

I wonder why my saved HD shows are playing OK. Could it be my bandwidth is not enough when retrieving the signal from the hdhomerun and Mezzmo transcoding?

Thanks in advance,

Ron

Peter
06-20-2018, 11:53 AM
A full transcode is being done of the stream from mpeg2video to h264 so this is probably too slow for HD. You can try going to 'Media Devices' and double-click the device then on the Performance tab set the max resolution to 720p or lower and this should speed up transcoding.

jbinkley60
06-20-2018, 06:20 PM
OK, seems to work on the standard definition channels, but it stops after 15 seconds or so the first time. If I restart and pause a few minutes and resume, it seems to be good. This being the same channel tested. CPU usage is at 30-40 percent (ffmpeg).

Testing with an HD channel plays for about 3-4 seconds and stops. Restarting makes it severely pixilated. Unwatchable and PC is at 100% CPU again by ffmpeg. I assume that my computer just doesn't have the power needed.

It's a Dell running an I5 quad core @3.1 GHz
With 8gb ram. ffmpeg is 64bit ver.

I wonder why my saved HD shows are playing OK. Could it be my bandwidth is not enough when retrieving the signal from the hdhomerun and Mezzmo transcoding?

Thanks in advance,

Ron

Which specific i5 processor are you running ? You may be able to enable IQS HW encoding in the transcoding settings to resolve. I had no problem with HD channels but I have an nVidia card doing HW encoding.

jbinkley60
06-21-2018, 03:32 AM
Here's a thread (http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/9499-OT-(-ish)-NVIDIA-Graphics-Hardware-for-NVENC?highlight=performance) from May where we discussed the various CPU impacts. On my May 11th response I posted some test results (http://www.thebinks.com/jeff/transcoding_results.html). The 12mbs results were using the HDHomerun MPEG2 files. I just ran a test on an HD channel with HDHomerun and Mezzmo transcoding to my Roku unit. The CPU was 30% using an old AMD-FX8120 processor and an nVidia 1060 GPU. Based upon my IQS results for Intel you should see about 40% CPU with IQS enabled (maybe higher due to me using an i7 for my testing vs.your i5) if your processor can support IQS. But it should be less than 100%. This whole topic is why I avoid transcoding as much as possible and don't really like Roku units for streaming clients unless I can preformat the source files / streams into something Roku support natively.

RonB
06-21-2018, 07:16 AM
A full transcode is being done of the stream from mpeg2video to h264 so this is probably too slow for HD. You can try going to 'Media Devices' and double-click the device then on the Performance tab set the max resolution to 720p or lower and this should speed up transcoding.

That did the trick. Working very good now, CPU is about 60% plus or minus. Picture still looks real good.

As usual, great support!

Thanks so much Peter.

RonB
06-21-2018, 07:32 AM
Here's a thread (http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/9499-OT-(-ish)-NVIDIA-Graphics-Hardware-for-NVENC?highlight=performance) from May where we discussed the various CPU impacts. On my May 11th response I posted some test results (http://www.thebinks.com/jeff/transcoding_results.html). The 12mbs results were using the HDHomerun MPEG2 files. I just ran a test on an HD channel with HDHomerun and Mezzmo transcoding to my Roku unit. The CPU was 30% using an old AMD-FX8120 processor and an nVidia 1060 GPU. Based upon my IQS results for Intel you should see about 40% CPU with IQS enabled (maybe higher due to me using an i7 for my testing vs.your i5) if your processor can support IQS. But it should be less than 100%. This whole topic is why I avoid transcoding as much as possible and don't really like Roku units for streaming clients unless I can preformat the source files / streams into something Roku support natively.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look later.

I'm not sure which specific CPU it is, but it's at least a few years old.

I don't see any settings for IQS anywhere including the BIOS, and I Don't have an aftermarket video card in the PC.

I agree about transcoding. Since I've got 3 Rokus and one Roku TV, I rip everything to support them (MP4 H264).

The hdhomerun was sort of an experiment to see what I could do with it.

One thing I found interesting is my Roku TV must have mpeg2 support built in, as hdhomerun works fine using The Roku media player. Hmmmm.

Thanks for your input.

jbinkley60
06-21-2018, 08:13 AM
IQS has been around for quite awhile and most Intel desktop CPUs (except the high end chips) have IQS support., You need to install the Intel IQS DLL so that Mezzmo can see it. See this Mezzmo Wiki page (http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=hardware_transcoding&s[]=hardware) for more info. It isn't surprising that your TV has MPEG2 support. most do. The TV manufacturer included it not Roku. Roku has been the ones who have limited codec support including MPEG2. I don't believe any Roku hardware has MPEG2 support in their provided software.

RonB
06-21-2018, 08:58 AM
IQS has been around for quite awhile and most Intel desktop CPUs (except the high end chips) have IQS support., You need to install the Intel IQS DLL so that Mezzmo can see it. See this Mezzmo Wiki page (http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=hardware_transcoding&s[]=hardware) for more info. It isn't surprising that your TV has MPEG2 support. most do. The TV manufacturer included it not Roku. Roku has been the ones who have limited codec support including MPEG2. I don't believe any Roku hardware has MPEG2 support in their provided software.

Hi, thanks a lot for the link!

I found out my CPU was manufactured in 2011, Looks like it's time to upgrade lol.

Anyway, their chart indicates it will support IQS, so I signed up for the SDK. I guess it'll be up to 2 days before I can download. Once I get it installed, I'll test and report back.

Thanks jbinkley60, much appreciated.

jbinkley60
06-21-2018, 07:16 PM
That's ironic. My AMD FX-8120 in my Mezzmo server is from 2011 also. ;)

RonB
06-23-2018, 12:47 AM
I installed the IQS software, and it shows up in Mezzmo. However, if I select it, transcoding fails. Looks like even though Intel says my processor supports it, it's a no go. Bummer.

ETA:

I've found if I copy and paste the link from Mezzmo to firefox, it will play fine.

This is the failed message info from the Transcode page when sending to the Roku:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Conceiva\Mezzmo\ffmpeg64\ffmpeg.exe -y -loglevel quiet -hwaccel auto -threads 1 -i "http://192.168.1.108:5004/auto/v3.1" -map 0:v:0 -map 0:a:0 -c:v:0 h264_qsv -level 41 -profile:v main -filter:v "scale=720:406" -pix_fmt nv12 -look_ahead 0 -copyinkf -coder 1 -flags +loop -fflags +genpts -subq 7 -me_range 16 -g 250 -keyint_min 25 -sc_threshold 40 -b_strategy 1 -x264opts direct-pred=auto:b-pyramid=normal:mixed-refs=1:weightb=1:8x8dct=1:fast-pskip=1:crf=22:ref=2:bframes=3:aud=1:me=hex -partitions -parti8x8-parti4x4-partp8x8-partp4x4-partb8x8 -bidir_refine 1 -c:a:0 aac -ac 2 -ar 48000 -map 0:a:0 -c:a:1 ac3_fixed -ac:2 6 -strict experimental -sn -threads 0 -async 0 -f matroska pipe:

<MEZZMO>: Child process ended with code: 5, ExitCode=1

jbinkley60
06-25-2018, 04:43 AM
Did you enable the IGPU in your motherboard BIOS ? I remember that mine was in an obscure location. Here's a link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf0vZoP0F9Y/) which may help.

RonB
06-26-2018, 02:48 AM
Did you enable the IGPU in your motherboard BIOS ? I remember that mine was in an obscure location. Here's a link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf0vZoP0F9Y/) which may help.

Unfortunately, I don't have that setting in the BIOS.

I updated to the latest BIOS, and no luck.

Sent updated error log to the support link.

Peter
06-26-2018, 09:26 AM
The Quick Sync device cannot be found, possibly it needs to be created by adding -init_hw_device qsv=qsv:MFX_IMPL_hw to the commandline.

RonB
06-27-2018, 07:49 AM
Hi Peter,
I did some searching today, and I was unable to find any info at all on Dell's site regarding IQS.

Since there is no setting for IGPU as jbinkley60 mentioned, it seems the older Dell's don't support it even though the processor and the video card do.

Just wanted to post this so that maybe it'll save sometime else the headache.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

jbinkley60
06-27-2018, 08:56 AM
I've been thinking about this. If you only have one display and if your motherboard doesn't have a video chipset then you must be using the IGPU because there is no other video chipset in your hardware. If you look at your video device under the Windows Device Manager what does it say, something like Intel 4600 etc ? If so then you are using the IGPU on the CPU and this is more of a driver or Quick Sync DLL issue. Are you running Windows 10 ? What model of Dell computer is this ?

RonB
06-27-2018, 10:31 AM
Peter and I exchanged several email's about this issue last night.

He was nice enough to take a good look at it.

It appeared that ffmpeg was not able to find the device when running IQS and would stop.

I believe he said that it's possible that it supports it, but it's a old version and ffmpeg is looking for features that are not there.

To answer your other questions, No other video card, Video card is: Intel HD Graphics 2000, I'm running windows 7 Pro, and the computer is a Dell Optiplex 790.

I tried a few other things today, including using the display drivers from Intel, and even tried to use the latest ffmpeg issued 6/15/18 with Mezzmo,
and that messed up transcoding in other way's, so I gave up for now.

jbinkley60
06-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Ok. That makes sense and could very well be due to the age of your processor. You have an i5-2400 processor which is a second generation core Intel Sandy Bridge architecture. According to Intel's website (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-2nd-generation-intel-core-processor-graphics-hd-graphics) it should support HW encoding of h.264 and MPEG2 encoding. All of my testing was done with an i7-4790K which is a 4th generation Intel core processor, albeit still a bit old.

RonB
06-27-2018, 10:21 PM
It would've been nice if it worked, but for what I paid for it I can't complain. It works quite well. I've found recording live TV to Mezzmo, and pre transcode work great.

Once the funds allow, I plan to build a new server. This time I'll pick the components that'll work best for a media server.

Right now data storage is number one on my list.

jbinkley60
06-28-2018, 06:06 AM
When you get to the new server let me know if you want any advice. Here's a link (http://www.thebinks.com/jeff/computer/index.html) to my setup. My Mezzmo server has 288TB of storage

RonB
06-28-2018, 08:43 AM
WOW! Very impressive.
Makes my little 32tb system look bad. Lol.