PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Mezzmo conflicts with WD MyCloud NAS Hardware?

randombox
03-16-2015, 06:00 AM
Greets,
I have swapped out my old (and trusted) PatriotBoxOffice stream box and replaced it with a dual-drive WesternDigital MyCloudEX2 NAS server box.
I am still learning all of the intricacies of keeping the WD MyCloud up-and-running (available) as my 'cloud server'.
One of the issues with WD MyCloud is the fact that at each Windows8.1 reboot, I have to re-map to the 2 HDDs that are inside of it, all over again.
In Windows PowerShell, the command is "net use" for mapping to the 2 HDDs; where both the password and whether the connection is persistent or not can be specified.
Unfortunately, the password entry (via console) may pose a security concern, thus I choose to map to the drives manually when I must reboot my Windows machine that the Mezzmo is run on.
Since Mezzmo boots at StartUp of my Win8.1Pro machine, I don't know if it will cause issues with Mezzmo MediaServer or Mezzmo Library, since the WD MyCloud has not yet been mapped to (via MyCloudDiscovery tool which requires a password).
I wonder if you can address these questions and potential pitfalls,conflicts between my Music/Movie libraries (that are now in the WD MyCloudEX) and Mezzmo.
BTW, I use the WD MyCloud as a networked (wired-LAN) NAS/Streamer to a new HTPC I installed downstairs for our local entertainment system.
WD MyCloud is also being used as my WiFi server for our Tablets/SmartPhones.
It may be best to retire Mezzmo from the LAN (Cloud Server) system in efforts to keep the system simpler.

Your guidance and shared thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
randio

Paul
03-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Hi randio,

Mezzmo will work with any NAS drive. The main issue you may come across is that Mezzmo server may not be able to access to your files on your NAS. If you see no files listed on your devices when browsing Mezzmo server, then this indicates this problem. The reason is that, by default, Mezzmo server runs as a Windows service on your Windows PC under the Windows Local System account (not your Windows user account) and this account may not have access permissions to access your NAS files. We have an FAQ that details this issue and the fix to get it working - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/4597-FAQ-Accessing-files-from-external-computers-and-NAS-drives-on-your-home-network. If any problems, let us know and we'll help you get up and running.

randombox
03-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Thank you, Paul,

Your link revealed to me that the ControlPanel CredentialsManagement is part of the missing link that I was not aware of.
It turned out that my Windows8.1 had already created the needed credentialing for WD MyCloud.

Paul
03-16-2015, 12:18 PM
Glad you are up and running now :).