PDA

View Full Version : Variable persistence of transcoded files

JohnM
10-28-2010, 09:09 AM
One of the things I would like to see in a future version is the ability to set the time to live of transcoded files. It would ideally be settable based on some criteria. For instance if device A needed to transcode a file the file would be saved indefinitely (like now). Where if device B transcoded the file would be deleted after viewing (or some set time).

Other ways to do it would be to allow certain source files (like vob) to be persistent while other types .m4v to have a configurable time to live.

It would also work if there were a profile parameter we could set like <transcodedlife=0> ... <transcodedlife=30> where 0 = never expire and 30 would be 30 days.

I am aware that the downside is having to transcode again (maybe). But my library is already pushing 3TB. CPU time is cheap where disks get expensive.

John

Paul
10-28-2010, 09:27 AM
It's an interesting idea - thank you for the suggestion. It is an extension to the current way of limiting the transcoded folder size by setting a limit (I assume you've upped the limit from the default 20 GBs?) - as a first step, we could provide deleting temporary transcoded files based on age (e.g. older than 30 days) without segregating into file types (and before reaching the size limit) - would that work for you?

JohnM
10-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Any method would help. I am now needing to continually delete files manually. It is not a problem of max folder size as it is of doubling or tripling the disk space used. It starts to become a real problem when you throw backups into the mix. I am not certain what is the "correct" solution. It is not an immediate problem. Maybe some other people should propose what would work best for them. On the other hand, some solutions would probably be easier to implement.