PDA

View Full Version : WDTV Live and external subtitles

cdenfert
10-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Hello,

I'm evaluating mezzmo, it's a great media server.
It works like a charm with my WDTV Live, but i have a little problem with subs.
Internals subs works perfectly with MKV, but i can't see externals subs with MKV (only the internal sub works)
Do you have a solution?

Thanks

Chris

Paul
10-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Hello Chris,

I don't think that WD TV Live supports external subtitles. Unless the device supports them, there's nothing we can do at the moment. The next major update of Mezzmo will include an option to burn the subtitles onto the video stream, so that will help (but will require transcoding).

cdenfert
10-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks for your answer.

But WDTV LIVE supports external subs, i use it all days. it supports: .srt, .ssa, idx/sub...

Paul
10-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Streaming via DLNA or playing from a shared physical drive? If streamed a file with external subs and WD TV showed them, then we'll investigate and get it going as well. Playing files directly from a shared folder is a bit different though.

cdenfert
10-29-2010, 10:04 AM
oh ok, it works from network share

xxx
11-01-2010, 10:27 AM
The next major update of Mezzmo will include an option to burn the subtitles onto the video stream
I have to ask, WHEN is this next major update? I've been waiting for it for over a year. Last time you mentioned it was almost 5 months ago when you said "in a few weeks".

Paul
11-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I have to ask, WHEN is this next major update? I've been waiting for it for over a year. Last time you mentioned it was almost 5 months ago when you said "in a few weeks".
The last major update was December last year and we are planning to release this next major update before the end of this year, however this is a "planned" sort of date, and I don't have an "actual" release date at this point. It was previously scheduled to go out sooner, but was postponed at that time. Sorry that I can't be more clear :(

xxx
11-01-2010, 10:51 AM
OK. I just hope that once it's available it will support Hebrew and Arabic properly (I don't even know about the quality of your non-"burned" subtitle support, only PS3 here). I'm sick of the alternatives like "PMS" (suitable acronym) and sick of the ridiculous fact that there isn't a single DLNA server that can stream properly to one of the most widely spread DLNA clients in the world. Since yours does things right except for one major fault, for so long, that's just really frustrating.

Paul
11-01-2010, 11:07 AM
It should support Hebrew and Arabic, from the tests I saw it worked well with international characters. The external subtitles are up to the device to display, so we have no quality control over that - how the device renders them depends on the device's firmware. Our own burned-in subtitles look good though :)

cdenfert
11-10-2010, 03:36 AM
perhaps is it possible to remux in mkv on the fly with external subs, instead of transcoding it.

Paul
11-10-2010, 08:36 AM
perhaps is it possible to remux in mkv on the fly with external subs, instead of transcoding it.
FFmpeg doesn't support doing that as-is and needs certain modifications/additions to allow that, which we've been working on.

Paul
07-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Just an update - Mezzmo v2.6.4 has been released and it now streams external subtitles to your WD TV Live/Plus/Hub.

YankeeFan
07-08-2012, 03:18 AM
Just an update - Mezzmo v2.6.4 has been released and it now streams external subtitles to your WD TV Live/Plus/Hub.

This IS NOT working on my WD TV Live Plus...at least not with .ts files.

Paul
07-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Please send us a set of logs when you stream the .ts file to your WD TV Live Plus and we'll see what may be going wrong.