PDA

View Full Version : Transcoding video problem? DSM-320 drops audio and freezes momentarily.

Comex
11-03-2010, 07:10 AM
I just purchased and registered Ver. 2.1.11.0 and I'm running it on a new desktop running Windows 7. I also installed a trial version on an old (ca. 1999) desktop running Windows XP, just to check for consistency in the problem. I'm using a D-Link DSM-320 as a player.

When I play most of my video files of just about any type (MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Xvid, etc.), the audio drops out momentarily and the video stutters, as if one or the other is out of synch and trying to catch up. This happens regardless of bitrate, image size, and level of compression. I've reconverted several files using a variety of settings.

This happens on both computers (old and new) and is consistent with the identical video files. However, some other video files seem to play OK. When I compare the files that have problems with the ones that don't, I can see only a difference or two in the encoding. For example, the file information may differ only in the frame-rate (30 fps vs. 29.97). Otherwise, the encoding appears identical.

I also have TwonkyMedia Server installed on both machines. Again, the video files are identical to those I'm trying to play with Mezzmo, but Twonky plays them just fine on both machines (Win7 and WINXP), with no stuttering.

Mezzmo will transcode more file formats than Twonky and I prefer the interface and set-up on Mezzmo, but the problems playing videos is an issue.

Any suggestions? Could it be an ffmpeg problem, or a device configuration problem? I can provide the encoding information on the files, if that would help.

Thank you!

Comex
11-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Here's the file properties. I'll post the ffmpeg profile shortly.

General
Complete name : X:\Music Videos\Test Videos\TTOTDG (VDub 640x480 Deblock).avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 42.3 MiB
Duration : 10mn 0s
Overall bit rate : 591 Kbps
Writing library : VirtualDub build 32817/release

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 451 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.049
Stream size : 32.3 MiB (76%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Format_Settings_Mode : Joint stereo
Format_Settings_ModeExtension : MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 9.16 MiB (22%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 33 ms (1.00 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms
Writing library : LAME3.98.3

Paul
11-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the file info - would it be possible for you to send us one of those files (through a service like www.megaupload.com or similar) so that we could test them here on our DSM320?

Comex
11-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Sure, Dennis. I'll probably edit one down to be a reasonable size and then post it to one of my websites and send you a download link.

Might be a couple days, as I'll have to check it to make sure it exhibits the same problems even when it's smaller. The problem shows up as soon as I start to play it, so I think just a minute or two of video would be adequate.

Paul
11-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks - any size that you can reproduce the problem with will do.