PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo not streaming files on NAS after upgrade to Windows 10

Tijl Schoonenberg
08-05-2015, 07:51 AM
Hello,

I am running into some trouble streaming files that are stored on a NAS (Western Digital, WD MyCloud). The share that I am streaming content from has not been protected by a username/password and it worked using Windows 8(.1).

If I turn on diagnostics I can see that Mezzmo tries to tried the file, but the exercition ends up with the message that the file cannot be found or is 0 bytes in size. The metadata is being added correctly, but I assume that is correct while the GUI is running under my own credentials.

I have been testing by using an external client (tele) and by using a Windows Media Player on the same system, both failing.

Things I have verified/done already:

- Read http://forum.conceiva.com/register.php?a=act&u=65791&i=88c80e9102d5316506f5682821d3f43419dd1f48 which states that Mezzmo should work on Windows 10
- Verified Windows Firewall rules (Mezzmo rules were correctly added as the GUI stated already)
- Enabled/disabled Windows Firewall
- Reinstalled Mezzmo entirely
- Issued "netsh winsock reset" commands (had to do that for other reasons)
- Double-checked the Windows Credentials cache (no entry found)
- Reset the NAS

For completeness: if I try to stream content from locally attached storage all works well.

Thanks for any thoughts, Tijl

Paul
08-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Please email the logs to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll analyse them to determine the problem.

Hashybot
08-06-2015, 04:05 AM
Hey Paul, if it helps I remember you saying sometime back about ticking or unticking a box if someone is using a non-passworded account for Windows. I only done it myself on Windows 10 a few nights back but I can't remember the thread I found it in. I do remember it was somewhere in the Administration area, and when I followed your instructions it worked straight away (I could see the NAS drives). I hope this helps somewhere.

Paul
08-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Hey Paul, if it helps I remember you saying sometime back about ticking or unticking a box if someone is using a non-passworded account for Windows. I only done it myself on Windows 10 a few nights back but I can't remember the thread I found it in. I do remember it was somewhere in the Administration area, and when I followed your instructions it worked straight away (I could see the NAS drives). I hope this helps somewhere.

Thanks for the heads-up. If you can find the forum thread, then please post it here. Right at the moment, I don't recall the checkbox you mention :o.

Tijl Schoonenberg
08-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks for your reactions!
Just that you know: I will upload the logs this afternoon or evening (UTC+1). Or else I will see the checkbox pop-up ;)

Hashybot
08-07-2015, 06:16 AM
I tried looking everywhere for it, but then I went searching myself (on my computer) and found what it was. It was 'limit local account use of blank passwords' in security settings. To get there you go Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Local Security Policy/Local Policies/Security Options and then look for Accounts: Limit local account of blank passwords to console login only. Make sure that setting is disabled. On Windows 10 in may be named a little different, but that is what got my NAS drives to be seen through Mezzmo (on a non passworded account).

You might wanna sticky this (in your own words Paul) to your NAS help page. I know quite a few people don't bother pass wording windows. If I didn't find what you said I would have been stuck.

Paul
08-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Many thanks, Hashybot. I have updated our FAQ with this information (under the section "Additional Information") - see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/4597-FAQ-Accessing-files-from-external-computers-and-NAS-drives-on-your-home-network

xxjovexx83
08-08-2015, 05:33 PM
I've Also had this problem, but with a password, I did what your post said, about changing local system account to "this account". It seems that using a Microsoft account was my problem, or I didn't add it right. Basically with a Microsoft account your using email as a login. I switched to using a "local" account. After doing so I went back into Windows Services (via Administrative Tools) and display the Properties window for the Mezzmo Windows service and changed it to my local account. all my folders, and files are showing, and are streaming like it was on 8. Let me know if I can make mezzmo work while I'm logged into my Microsoft account! Thanks!

Tijl Schoonenberg
08-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Hi,

Unfortunately none of the suggestions made it work for me. I do not think uploading the logs is very useful as I am pretty sure this is an issue with [ permissions / samba / workstation ]. But just so you know. I you are still interested in the logs: just ask, I can still upload them of course.

FYI, what I have tried furthermore:

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\AllowInsecureGuest Auth : DWORD 1
- SSH on the NAS, max protocol SMB2 => SMB3 (even tried SMB1 which someone suggested, but no eval)
- Changed the local (group) policy setting mentioned, among others
- Changed local file sharing properties

I am letting my NAS doing the streaming itself right now (using pre-coded sources), but if anyone knows what's going on: party and BBQ at my garden (o well, I lack a garden, it's a balcony, let's kindly ruin the above neighbor's laundry :))

Did not try the local account suggestion done by xxjovexx83 however, sounds interesting to me, might try that later on.

Excuses for the late post... Have been out of town unexpectedly. Just my loss I guess :)

Tijl Schoonenberg
08-09-2015, 10:43 PM
Hi,

I chose to run the Mezzmo service under my own credentials. Which isn't really best practice IMHO, but this way it works as expected. And I can use Mezzmo again ;)

Thanks again, Tijl

Paul
08-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Thanks for posting the various solutions. We'll look into Microsoft accounts with emails & see what's going wrong with NAS access permissions.

thm655321
08-28-2015, 12:44 AM
I am having similar issues with my fresh install of Win 10. When I change the mezzmo service to use my login, the service refuses to start with the following error: Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. Putting the service log on back to a local system account allows it to work but none of my NAS files are showing up on my Samsung C TV.

Paul
08-28-2015, 08:43 AM
It's best we see a set of logs. Turn on logging in Mezzmo (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Now reproduce the 1053 error. Once reproduced, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo (Windows) app. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

thm655321
10-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Okay, progress, I finally got Mezzmo to see my NAS files.

When logged in as the regular Windows 10 administrator user, changing the login on the Mezzmo service never worked, the service would never start.

So I unhid the full Windows 10 administrator account (i.e., the real administrator account) using the following command in an elevated (administrator) command prompt:

net user administrator password /active:yes

where you enter the password you want to use intead of "password" (see this site, very helpful http://http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html#option1).

I then rebooted and logged in using the new Administrator account. Interestingly this is an entirely different view of Windows 10. I then reentered the login for the Mezzmo service but instead of the regular administrator user account I used the administrator account and the password I set. Boom, Mezzmo service started.

I then logged out of the Administrator account and logged back in normally using my regular administrator user account. Mezzmo service still started. So far so good. Adding to the library from the NAS those files do show on the TV, so the service part is fixed. However I am having the issue outlined below.

I added video folders from the NAS to the Mezzmo library. When I checked on the TV, nothing appeared under the name of the folder, but if I went to recently added they were there. So the TV is seeing the files but the files are not showing under the folder name.

For example, in Mezzmo under video I added a folder named USB, which is a folder on a hard drive connected to the NAS (same as I did it under Win 7). Mezzmo loads all the files into the library. When I go to the TV and click on the folder USB nothing shows, but if I go to recently added, tv shows, etc. they show in those. This just automatically worked under Win 7 so I don't understand why it is not working under Windows 10. Any help on that one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul
10-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Thanks for sharing your Win 10 tips. Regarding your current problem, it's best we see a set of logs. Turn on logging in Mezzmo (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Connect to Mezzmo server from your device and reproduce the empty folders issues. Once reproduced, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo (Windows) app. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

thm655321
10-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Thanks, I will do that.

However, I think there is an issue with the Mezzmo service under Win 10 that needs to be addressed so that the regular accounts can use that service and not have to go through the hoops that I did.

Note that when I first upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 (i.e., Win 10 installed over Win 7) there was no issue. It was a fresh install of Win 10 that caused the Mezzmo service not to work.

Edited to add: I am also experiencing Mezzmo crashing repeatedly and yesterday I sent an email to support with the crash dump file attached.

Paul
10-13-2015, 08:44 AM
We'll re-investigate installing Mezzmo on a clean Windows 10 machine & make sure all is OK. Regarding your crashes, we've sent you a patch to try that should fix these crashes.