PDA

View Full Version : Sony BDP-S470...does it support .SRT subtitles?

YankeeFan
11-06-2010, 02:33 PM
The mkv files play perfectly, but I can't seem to display the subtitles...

Paul
11-08-2010, 10:07 AM
The Sony BDPs don't support SRT subtitles at the moment. If you tried any other server and it did deliver SRTs to the device, then please let us know and we'll investigate.

skachr
08-24-2011, 07:55 PM
The Sony BDPs don't support SRT subtitles at the moment. If you tried any other server and it did deliver SRTs to the device, then please let us know and we'll investigate.

I have a Sony BDP-S580. From USB source, it renders srt to mkv and avi containers.

Playing mkv movies with srt subtitles off the Serviio DLNA software server works for me - se the Sony BDP in Serviio's profile.xml from version 5.1 and up.

Paul
08-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Can you please e-mail support (at) conceiva (dot) com and I'll send you a device profile to try? Please also mention which device profile you are currently using in your e-mail, so I could base our test on that.

skachr
09-06-2011, 04:35 AM
My mistake.

The Sony BDP-S580 do not render separate *.srt files.
What I saw, was subtitles muxed into the *.mkv container. Not the separate *.srt file.

Sorry for the confusion.

Paul
09-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Ah, ok. If you use the "Sony BDP (PAL/NTSC, MKV, No DivX)" device profile, it should pass through those MKVs with embedded subtitles and they should then show on the device.

chadu
09-15-2011, 11:54 AM
what is a device profile? i am having issues viewing .wtv streaming from a computer to a sony bdps480. would it be helpful to try a different device profile? thanks.

Paul
09-15-2011, 12:12 PM
what is a device profile? i am having issues viewing .wtv streaming from a computer to a sony bdps480. would it be helpful to try a different device profile? thanks.
Device profiles are set using the Media Devices dialog in Mezzmo - what is the current device profile that you are using?

chadu
09-15-2011, 09:19 PM
how do i check my device profile to see which one i am using?

Paul
09-16-2011, 09:34 AM
how do i check my device profile to see which one i am using?
Go to the Media Devices dialog and it'll show you.

chadu
09-17-2011, 08:05 AM
i am currently using the profile: Sony BDP (NTSC, No DivX) - is this the best profile to use for .wtv? because it is really struggling to play .wtv.

jeronimopl
09-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Hi
Now I'm testing mezzmo DLNA server and I have some experience with it. I have sony BD S370 and it also play really good .mkv files with subtitles in container (from DVD, USB etc.). I tried all profiles but without success :(. First profile "PAL no divx" works well but transcode to M2TS (without subtitles). If I chose "PAL, MKV, no divx" I still see icons M2TS, so it nothing changed. Other problem is I can't play files more than 4 GB - "file doesn't exist" - only profile "PAL, MKV, no divx". So I think problem is more general. For me it is very important to make decision to purchase mezzmo. Of course burning subtitles is also very good solution, but it will be in next major version of mezzmo. Maybe is other way to solve this problem in current version.
sorry for my English - I hope everything is clear ;)
sorry for my English - I hope everything is clear.

Paul
09-19-2011, 10:18 AM
i am currently using the profile: Sony BDP (NTSC, No DivX) - is this the best profile to use for .wtv? because it is really struggling to play .wtv.
WTV files will be transcoded using all profiles, since no devices supports these files natively. Looking at the logs that you've sent in, transcoding speed is not fast enough for real-time playback. I'll contact you further via e-mail.

Hi
Now I'm testing mezzmo DLNA server and I have some experience with it. I have sony BD S370 and it also play really good .mkv files with subtitles in container (from DVD, USB etc.). I tried all profiles but without success :(. First profile "PAL no divx" works well but transcode to M2TS (without subtitles). If I chose "PAL, MKV, no divx" I still see icons M2TS, so it nothing changed. Other problem is I can't play files more than 4 GB - "file doesn't exist" - only profile "PAL, MKV, no divx". So I think problem is more general. For me it is very important to make decision to purchase mezzmo. Of course burning subtitles is also very good solution, but it will be in next major version of mezzmo. Maybe is other way to solve this problem in current version.
sorry for my English - I hope everything is clear ;)
sorry for my English - I hope everything is clear.
Try turning transcoding off and see if that MKV plays natively. If it does, please post FFmpeg information on it (in Mezzmo right-click on the file and use the "Get FFmpeg Information" command). Also, can you please post your BDP's firmware version?

jeronimopl
09-20-2011, 02:20 AM
Hi again

I tried turning transcoding off and I saw "file doesn't exist" :( .

FFmpeg information:

ffmpeg version N-32348-g6dbac85, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
built on Sep 6 2011 16:03:56 with gcc 4.4.2
configuration: --enable-memalign-hack --arch=x86 --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=i686-mingw32- --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-zlib --disable-ffplay --prefix=/media/windows/ffmpeg --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl --extra-libs='-lx264 -lpthread' --enable-runtime-cpudetect --pkg-config=pkg-config
libavutil 51. 16. 0 / 51. 16. 0
libavcodec 53. 13. 0 / 53. 13. 0
libavformat 53. 11. 0 / 53. 11. 0
libavdevice 53. 3. 0 / 53. 3. 0
libavfilter 2. 37. 0 / 2. 37. 0
libswscale 2. 1. 0 / 2. 1. 0
libpostproc 51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
[matroska,webm @ 003082c0] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 47.95 (20000000/417083) -> 23.98 (24000/1001)
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'D:\Filmy\Tron\T.L.2010.BluRay.720p.DTS.x264.mkv':
Duration: 02:05:08.67, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1536 kb/s
Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1280x720, SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default) (forced)
Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: dts (DTS), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s16, 1536 kb/s (default) (forced)
Metadata:
title : English DTS-HDMA core 5.1 1509Kbps
At least one output file must be specified

---> DB Level Info: 41, 100
---> Frame rate: 23.98
---> Aspect ratio: 16:9

BDP version is M03.R.769

Usually I use standalone files for subtitles in SRT format and it works exelent. Above is ffmpg an information about file without subtitles builtin container - but now it doesn't matter, because BDP doesn't play raw mkv file.

Paul
09-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Ok, so your player doesn't support MKV files natively and thus they have to be transcoded using one of the profiles. Embedded subtitles will be dropped at that point (although there is an option in Mezzmo to try and copy the subtitle stream to the new file - we can try that and see if the resulting file will show subtitles on the BDP).

Nico Darko
01-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Hi,

I have a little problem with the srt subtitles on this player. They work fine half the time with my avi files but sometimes they disappear in the middle with no apparent reason :confused: I have to go back to the beginning of the file, reactivate the srt subtitles, and fast forward to where I stopped. It sometimes works and sometimes the subtitles disappear again. I've had this problem with several avi and srt files.

Do you know where this might come from ?

Thank you.

Paul
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi,

No, haven't heard of this problem before. Are you using the latest firmware on your BDP? Do they get turned off if you look in the menu on the player or they are still turned on, but simply don't display? Mezzmo only delivers the SRT file to the device, so then it's up to the device to actually display it on screen.

Also, do they always stop in the same spot or is this random?

Nico Darko
01-10-2012, 06:52 AM
They are still turned on but won't display, and it usually happens around 20 minutes into the video. But I checked and there was another firmware update last august, I have the one before that. I'll install it but it doesn't say anything about fixing any DivX problem.

Paul
01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Well, if subtitles are turned on and display initially, then most likely it's a device/firmware issue. Typically subtitles are sent to the device right at the beginning of playback as a whole .SRT file in one shot, so then it's up to the device to sort them out and display when needed. Try the new firmware and let us know how that goes.

Nico Darko
01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Ok, I've just updated the player with the new firmware and the same thing happened :( So where else do you think it could come from ?

Paul
01-13-2012, 02:04 PM
If the same SRT file works one time and doesn't work another, I'd have to blame the firmware. Mezzmo will deliver the file in the same manner every time, so perhaps something happens in the firmware that causes it to break. One thing you could try is playing the same file with subtitles from USB and see if that works.

Also, which device profile are you using?

Nico Darko
01-14-2012, 05:10 AM
Well, the SRT file works everytime (at the start), it just doesn't always works for the second part of the video. But I haven't tried to watch one of these files a second time to see if there was a difference.

And where can I see the device profile ? I tried to find the Media Devices dialog in the setup section, but I can't find it.
I'm sorry, I'm not an expert on this, I had never even heard of Mezzmo before.

EDIT : Oh and I've tried it with both USB and a DVD-R, there's no difference.

Paul
01-16-2012, 09:54 AM
The Media Devices dialog is accessible via a button on the toolbar or the Media Server -> Media Devices menu item.

If the subtitles stop like that when played from USB, then it's definitely either a firmware/hardware issue or the subtitles themselves are corrupt.

Nico Darko
01-17-2012, 06:15 AM
I don't see the words "media server" or "media devices" anywhere in the menu of the Sony BDP S470. :confused:

Paul
01-17-2012, 10:07 AM
It's not on the device - this is within Mezzmo GUI (the main application).

Nico Darko
01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Well how do you have access to it ? (I don't even understand what Mezzmo is, don't judge)

Oh and it seems that there is no longer a problem with the srt files on dvd-r, just with the usb.

EDIT : Isn't Mezzmo on the computer ? 'cause my problem is with the blu ray player only. I don't have Mezzmo.

Paul
01-17-2012, 02:43 PM
You run Mezzmo by clicking its icon on your Desktop (on the PC) - this launches the GUI where you can configure things. This is where you added your files/folders initially.

Nico Darko
01-17-2012, 02:47 PM
I don't have Mezzmo installed on my PC, I don't see what it has to do with the PC. I think you've misunderstood my problem. I'm probably in the wrong section, although the name of the topic was "Sony BDP S470 and srt subtitles".

Paul
01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Are you not using Mezzmo to stream files to your BDP? If not, then you may be in the wrong forum, since this is a Mezzmo (DLNA server) support forum :)

Nico Darko
01-17-2012, 02:55 PM
That's right. I'm simply watching my avi files by burning a dvd-r and playing them on the blu ray player, or with a usb. I'm not using the computer, I don't see why I would.

Thank you anyway and sorry for wasting your time.

Paul
01-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Sorry for misunderstanding - I assumed you had a problem with Mezzmo. You could try using Mezzmo to stream your files instead of burning them to disk ;)