PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Accessing the Internet?

KPJHGD
11-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Hello,

I'm hoping this will turn out to be an embarrassingly easy question. I've installed DownloadStudio 10.0.3.0 (I'll call it "DS" here) on my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit system. It seems to have integrated correctly with my Firefox 42.0 and IE 11.0. Each has the DS toolbar in it. When I direct my web browsers to "https://www.google.com" (or any other site so far), my web browsers happily load the page normally. However, if I then select the "View Links On Current Page" option, the main DS console launches in "Site Explorer" mode with a "This page can't be displayed" error. The same type of problem happens when trying to visit other sites directly in the DS console and when using the "Download Job" feature (even the "Check URL" option). They all result in failed downloads.

Based on what I could find in the FAQ and the forum, I have tried setting "Download Acceleration" to "1 split per file download" in the Options menu and that hasn't changed anything. I have tried turning off Windows Firewall and that didn't fix anything. I tried adding "DownloadStudio", "DownloadStudio Audio & Video Capture", and "DownloadStudio URL Sniffer" to the Windows Firewall "Allowed Programs" list and that hasn't fixed the problem either. I've been unable to confirm or deny if DS is using some unusual port for communication that could somehow be blocked by my router (I don't have the router locked down in any particular way to restrict traffic) or my use of a network switch (my connection goes cable modem -> router -> switch -> computer). On my to-do list is to try connecting directly through the cable modem if possible, but I though I would see professional advice first in case there was a more obvious solution to my problem.

I'm confused about what could be going wrong. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Peter
11-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Hi,
DownloadStudio does not use any special ports for accessing the Internet so it should work just like your web browsers. The Site Explorer in DownloadStudio uses an Internet Explorer control to show web pages so if IE 11.0 can view web pages but DownloadStudio cannot then it must be a firewall or another issue causing the problem.

Are you using a third-party firewall or security program? This could be blocking DownloadStudio from connecting to the Internet.

KPJHGD
11-25-2015, 08:15 AM
I'm only using Windows firewall and Microsoft's security software, so nothing too elaborate there. I've rarely, if at all, had any issues with other programs. The same problem occurs if I try to view web pages in DS at work using whatever combination of switches and routers we use at work. At home, if I connect to the internet directly via my cable modem and bypass my switches and router, I can at least view web pages in DS. That suggests to me that my software firewall and security programs may not be the limiting factor. However, even then, DS still doesn't provide me with a list of links to download like I was expecting when I use the "View Links On Current Page" option, and if I tell it to download a webpage it just fails right away for reasons I haven't been able to identify yet. So, I may have multiple concurrent problems I'm wrestling with.

Peter
11-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Are you using a proxy server to connect to the Internet at home or at work? You can try going to Options in DownloadStudio and select Connection then HTTP and check the box for 'Connect to HTTP using a proxy server' then click the 'Auto Detect' button. 890