PDA

View Full Version : Client device naming issue

dpetr
11-09-2010, 05:22 AM
I don't know if there's a fix for this or what, so let me explain the problem.

I have 2 Sony Playstations. I'd like to name them Sony Playstation 3 Room 1 and Sony Playstation 3 Room 2 or something similar. I am able to change the device name in Room 2, but not room 1. It always reverts to "Sony Playstation 3" on two different machine running Mezzmo. So, in essence my Media Devices dialog always shows Device Names of "Sony Playstation 3" and "Sony Playstation 3 Room 2". Even though the first Playstation 3 device name can be edited to whatever I want, when the dialog is closed after applying the change and reopened, the change never takes. After applying the changes, the server is restarted as well. I hope this is somewhat clear to give you an idea what the problem is. If not, let me know. Thanks.

Paul
11-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Can you please try this:

1) stop the server, shut down Mezzmo
2) go to the DeviceProfiles dialog (as per this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/467-FAQ-Where-are-device-profiles-located)
3) delete all .pro files there
4) run Mezzmo, start the server
5) connect from both PS3's and you should now have two entries in Media Devices for them (different IPs/MACs)
6) rename the first one - when you click OK on the dialog check that a .pro file appears in the DeviceProfiles dialog
7) rename the second one - you should now have 2 .pro files in that folder

Does that work?

dpetr
11-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Hello Dennis. The directory on Windows 7 had 6 .pro files. I deleted all of them. Started Mezzmo and PS3's. Device Profiles dialogue still has all of what was there...except with the default device profile. So I made all the necessary changes and new .pro files were created, but, for the first playstation 3 entry it always reverts back to "Sony Playstation 3" when the dialogue is closed and reopened under the Device Name column even though it was edited to something different. I can live with it, but oddly enough, I've got two of the same Samsung BRP's and I can name those devices to whatever I want just fine...just not the Playstation for some bizarre reason!

It seems that the edited device name is copied from the Device Settings dialogue to the Device Profile dialogue in the case of the first Playstation 3 device, but isn't saved to wherever its name is saved, I presume the database. Surely that's odd.

Paul
11-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes, it's very odd - we'll try to reproduce it here. If you change it to something complete different, e.g. "abc" - does that work or still doesn't save?

dpetr
11-09-2010, 12:09 PM
abc doesn't do it either. It just wants to be called what it is I guess!

Paul
11-09-2010, 12:28 PM
We'll investigate and hopefully resolve this annoyance.

Havenview
11-10-2010, 06:35 AM
I am having exactly the same problem but with 2 humax PVRs
The first device you can name freely but the second always resorts back to "Microsoft Xbox360"
I also have an xbox 360 but I had to enter the details manually and there is no MAC address listed.
As a final confusion, the ip address of the 2nd humax is wrong and displays the ip address of the xbox

The only thing that seems to stick is the device profile.

oh, and this must be a display thing because it all works on my system ie both humax devices and the xbox will find the server and play files

I have a jpg of the "Media Devices" window which may make it clearer, but I can't seem to work out how to attach a photo :confused:

Paul
11-10-2010, 09:38 AM
If you use the "Go Advanced" button when replying to topics it should allow you to attach a photo (there's more options there as compared to the quick reply). We'll need to look at this issue and get it fixed.

I'm surprised, frankly, that it works, if the IP is wrong and there's no MAC. Would love to reproduce this here :)

Havenview
11-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Dennis,

Finally managed to sus out the attachment stuff.

jpg attached is a screen grab showing the device list
I've blurred out the MAC addresses for my own peace of mind
but you get the drift and also note the xbox doesnt show its MAC address at all
I'm not sure if that's a clue to this

Steve

Paul
11-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the screenshot - we'll be investigating this issue and hopefully understand what's wrong.

Adric
11-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Hello,
Is it possible that someone with this problem can do the following so we can work out exactly what is going wrong.

Firstly we need to turn off all DLNA devices.
Secondly start logging in Mezzmo as per (http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging)
then once Mezzmo is running with logging we need you turn all the DLNA devices on again.
Then send us the logs.
This would be greatly appreciated.