PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo and Bubble

cozgenc
04-05-2016, 10:05 PM
I am buying a new AV receiver. Supposedly it supports some streaming music services like Spotify. Unfortunately I don't have Spotify in my country. I have Tidal, but I am not sure whether the AV has the support for Tidal. I know that AV supports DLNA.

My question is can Mezzmo assist in streaming from some internet music streaming source to a DLNA capable device? Supposedly there is another software called Bubble uPNP, which is some sort of add-on to DLNA servers.

In general I understand and use DLNA at home (mostly Mezzmo). But how is this additional software going to help me in conjunction with Mezzmo (interested in the mechanism, so you can get technical)?

Thanks

Paul
04-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Mezzmo server is a DLNA digital media server (DMS) that lets you stream video, music and photos to your devices (digital media renders - DMR) in your home. Mezzmo (Android) app and BubbleUPnP Android app are predominantly DLNA digital media controllers (DMC). They allow you to connect to your DMS, browse your server's library of files and then push (play) selected media file to your devices such as your TV, AV receiver, etc. In addition to being DMCs, Mezzmo (Android) app and BubbleUPnP also have additional features including being a DMS themselves, so they can stream media stored on your Android device to your devices in your home - or stream music, etc. from certain web sites that they may support (Tidal, etc). You can try Mezzmo (Android) app by searching for Mezzmo on Google Play store.

cozgenc
04-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Thanks Paul. That was very informative. After reading some time on the internet, I realized that I need a DMS (based on your definitions) that has live audio and/or video streaming (not from a file). Basically Miracast/Airplay functionality over DLNA. I know that some people tried to do this by creating some sort of fake file that acts as a live stream over DLNA to be consumed by DMRs, but the results were not so good. I understand that it will be lagging due to buffering, and will not be exactly like Miracast, but for continuous streaming lag is not important as long as stream is not choppy. Is there a chance that Mezzmo will have such functionality in the future; in other words is this something in your plans? Functionality would be good to have both on mobile devices (i.e. iPhone) and PCs. Or is this something that Mezzmo (Android) app already does? Anyhow I need an iOS version, but will still be good to know.

Thanks again.

Paul
04-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Our upcoming Mezzmo (Windows) v5.0 has live streaming and web site streaming. This allows you to stream video, music and photo URLs from web sites to your devices. For example, YouTube videos, Vimeo videos, Dailymotion videos, ShoutCast online radio, etc. Mezzmo (Windows) v5.0 is a free upgrade for all registered users and will be released in the coming week. You will be able to control playback of these videos, music & photos using our Mezzmo (Android) app (which will also have a new version v2.0 at the same time).

cozgenc
04-06-2016, 04:42 PM
That's a great add on. The advantage of Miracast over URL streaming is that it is not application specific. You get to stream anything on your screen be it a web browser, a power point presentation, or a game (together with its audio). I presume this will not be supported, at the moment. Right?

Is there going to be an iOS version of the app, anytime soon?

Paul
04-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Miracast support is already in our development plans & we agree it's a nice solution. After Mezzmo (Windows) v5.0 and Mezzmo (Android) v2.0 have been released, we will be discussing the next set of features and platforms. Customer requests and feedback play a large role here. A Mezzmo iOS app is definitely a high priority for us.

cozgenc
04-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Actually I was proposing live streaming over DLNA (not from a URL, and not Miracast). There seems to be a half baked solution: http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/, just sound no mobile option. DLNA is in general better supported by sound amplifiers and TVs compared to Miracast. The future of Miracast is not clear and getting run over by Airplay. DLNA seems to be the only solution without being locked to an Apple environment. Anyhow thanks for the discussion. I understand the terminology and setup much better now.

Paul
04-06-2016, 05:51 PM
OK - keep the suggestion coming in. They are always welcome :).