PDA

View Full Version : streaming to sony bravia?

renjac
11-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Hallo all,
I am trying out Mezzmo after unsuccesfully trying out others. I am trying to stream movies (avi, mkv ..) from my pc to my Sony Bravia. In theory that should not be a problem, right? But I don't get it to work. :confused:
I do see Mezzmo (under Music) on my Sony, but when clicking on movies I just get the message : "there are no items to display".
In WMP I can right click a movie and choose "play with Sony KDL" .. after I which I will get the message "format not supported". Only an MPEG2 file will work, but I don't have those. That is where transcoding comes in I guess. But HOW then do I stream from Mezzmo (on Win 7) to my Sony Bravia???
Thanks for any help .. this kinda drives me nuts.
Oh and sorry for mistakes .. English is not my first language.

kitsunegari
11-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Hmm, not sure what you're doing wrong really. It worked "out of the box" on my Sony Bravia.

renjac
11-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Well that is the question for me too. I am reading and looking for solutions everywhere. It is supposed to be simple, but in my case just does not seem to work. How can it work with music (mp3), but not with movies? Hmmm I suppose it would not be easier in XP?? Other solution is to just buy a WD TV Live or so, but I was hoping that for the time being I could stream directly.

Paul
11-13-2010, 09:57 AM
One common cause for this that you may not be in Video mode on your Bravia. If you are in (say) Music mode on your Bravia and try to browse video playlists in Mezzmo, you will get the message you mention.

Make sure you are in Video mode on your Bravia, then select Mezzmo, then select Videos.

If you have further troubles, let us know and we can help out.

Simran
11-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi Renjac,

Suggest check your 'media devices' option for the device name which represents your Sony Bravia (select the device and then select 'Edit').

Then make sure the 'Device Profile' is set to 'Sony Bravia KDL' or 'Sony Bravia KDL W' not something like 'Sony Playstation 3'.

I have found Mezzmo sometimes incorrectly changes the profile (don't know why).

Cheers,

Simran

Hallo all,
I am trying out Mezzmo after unsuccesfully trying out others. I am trying to stream movies (avi, mkv ..) from my pc to my Sony Bravia. In theory that should not be a problem, right? But I don't get it to work. :confused:
I do see Mezzmo (under Music) on my Sony, but when clicking on movies I just get the message : "there are no items to display".
In WMP I can right click a movie and choose "play with Sony KDL" .. after I which I will get the message "format not supported". Only an MPEG2 file will work, but I don't have those. That is where transcoding comes in I guess. But HOW then do I stream from Mezzmo (on Win 7) to my Sony Bravia???
Thanks for any help .. this kinda drives me nuts.
Oh and sorry for mistakes .. English is not my first language.

renjac
11-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Good morning,
@ Simran : the Device profile is set as 'Sony Bravia KDL' .. so that can't be the problem.
@ Paul : what do you mean with "being in video mode"? I indeed have Mezzmo -with maps music/video and pictures- displayed under 'Music' in Sony Bravia home menu and not under videos ..
EDIT .. can you believe this .. after restarting this morning Mezzmo IS displayed also under videos and seems to stream my movies now.
let me check it out. thanks for the replies and advice guys .. much appreciated!

renjac
11-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Not sure whether to start a new thread or not ... streaming is now working pretty well (thanks for the advice).
Now my problem is that the (external srt) subtitles are not displayed. That is trouble when watching a hindi movie ..
Now I did some reading in the forum and found this :

If your DLNA device does not support streaming external subtitle files, then you will have to wait a little longer for our new subtitle engine that we are currently developing for the next major version of Mezzmo. It will support a variety of subtitle methods so that all devices will be able to display movies with subtitles.
Is this next major version in the pipeline or can I do something to get subtitles?? Unfortunately I do need subtitles for about all movies.

Paul
11-14-2010, 07:54 AM
The current version of Mezzmo supports streaming .SRT/.SUB files to DLNA devices that support external subtitle files. Unfortunately, the Sony Bravia's current firmware does not support this. Hopefully they will add it in a future firmware update.

The next major release of Mezzmo will contain a variety of subtitle solutions - including "burning" subtitles into the (transcoded) video for DLNA devices that do not support subtitles in any form. As soon as it is ready, we will release it. No firm dates as yet, but I expect early next year.

renjac
11-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the info Paul. One (probably stupid?) question though. You say the firmware does not support external subtitle files. But it does display the subtitles when I plug in a usb stick with movie plus .srt??? Is that different??

Paul
11-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info Paul. One (probably stupid?) question though. You say the firmware does not support external subtitle files. But it does display the subtitles when I plug in a usb stick with movie plus .srt??? Is that different??

Yes, that's different - some manufacturers have one media player for playing files via USB and another for DLNA, unfortunately, so the two don't match (and may support different formats or features, such as subtitles).

craig
01-23-2011, 10:22 AM
I am having the original problem too. I have a Bravia KDL52XBR9 and mezzmo 2.1.13.0 on Windows 7. I cannot stream any video. Photos/music work fine. I have tried a reboot, verified the profile, am in 'video' mode on the selection on the tv. I can see the DLNA device(mezzmo) from WMP12 and play from another Windows box. DLNA works with WMP12 to the Sony.

any ideas?

thanks - Craig

Paul
01-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Can you please try the Sony Bravia KDL W device profile and see if that works better?