PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo 5 and Internet

JiKo
05-11-2016, 07:44 PM
I can use the Intranet Web access, but the Internet Web access is not working. I use Port 1024 and my Firewall is working well with this port. I can't use http://mydnsname:1024/web and also not http://localhost:1024/web !

Error is: no connection or to long or some others

i have also deinstall and new install. nothing. I think that the webserver from mezzmo is not working on this port only on the port for intranet. when i use the intranet port in my firewall then i can login from internet (http://mydnsname:53168/web) but i can't see cover or videos or other.

:confused::mad:

Paul
05-11-2016, 08:52 PM
To access your Mezzmo media server from outside your home network, you will need to forward the port of your Mezzmo server from your router so that your Mezzmo media server is exposed to the Internet. By default, the Mezzmo media server’s port is 53168. Next, you will need to find out your computer’s IP address by opening a Windows command line (press the Windows key on your keyboard and ‘R’ together then type ‘cmd’ and press Enter) and then run ‘ipconfig’ in the command line to find out your IP address. With these details, you can then go to your router’s webpage (you will be able to see this in the output from ipconfig as the default Gateway) and log into it and find the section for port forwarding. Add the IP address and port for the Mezzmo server. For more help, see http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Port-Forwarding-on-a-Router or http://www.howtogeek.com/66214/how-to-forward-ports-on-your-router/ for more information about forwarding ports in your router.

Once your port is forwarded in the router, then you can add this information to Mezzmo. Go to the Media Server Settings dialog and add the remote port into the ‘Remote Access Port’ field and click OK. Now you can go to Media Server -> Web Access and double-click on the ‘Admin’ user (or another user) to set your Web Access password and click on the remote access link to test that remote access is working. If all goes well, then you should see the Web Access login page in your web browser. If you get an error, then check your port forwarding settings in your router again to make sure the port is forwarded correctly.

RedBeard1701
05-13-2016, 11:12 PM
I must be doing something wrong. I follow that the default media server port is 53168 and is shown in the 'Media Server Settings' dialog. I also see that the Remote access port is blank by default. I have forwarded the 53168 port on my router to my computer. From outside my home, I can bring up the login screen with no problem, but when I try to log in the error "The webpage at http://1.0.0.0:0/web/?sid=[redacted] might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address." comes up.

Should I be adding 53168 to the blank remote access port field in Media Server Settings or should I be making up a number on my own and creating another port forward? I've tried both and I get the same result as when it's blank. The web access work fine inside the home.

Again, I'm assuming I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

Dopedogg
05-14-2016, 12:35 AM
I must be doing something wrong. I follow that the default media server port is 53168 and is shown in the 'Media Server Settings' dialog. I also see that the Remote access port is blank by default. I have forwarded the 53168 port on my router to my computer. From outside my home, I can bring up the login screen with no problem, but when I try to log in the error "The webpage at http://1.0.0.0:0/web/?sid=[redacted] might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address." comes up.

Should I be adding 53168 to the blank remote access port field in Media Server Settings or should I be making up a number on my own and creating another port forward? I've tried both and I get the same result as when it's blank. The web access work fine inside the home.

I too cannot get the Internet side of M5 to work. The home network side works fine. I've tried Port Forwarding with different ports and tried using Virtual Server (Virtual port forwarding.) I've tried using myDNS and the copy hyperlink on the app.

Dopedogg
05-14-2016, 01:17 AM
Also, what is the difference between Console application and Windows Service?

jbinkley60
05-14-2016, 09:38 AM

This sounds like an internal vs. external DNS mismatch. I spent quite a bit of time testing this as a beta tester. From the outside you might be using something like: http://mezzmo.mydomain.com:53168/web which the external Internet DNS will resolve to your Internet facing IP address of your cable router. However internally the IP address of your Mezzmo server will be your local network IP address. If you are running DNS internally and you have a DNS entry for mezzmo.mydomain.com it should point to your internal IP address. If you aren't running DNS then add a host file entry on your Mezzmo server which is:

your Internal IP mezzmo.mydomain.com

I believe this will resolve the issue.

Paul
05-14-2016, 11:59 AM

Sorry for the lack of a tutorial or notes on this. We're currently writing it now for our new wiki. A few notes that should help:

The 'Remote port' value in the Media Server Settings dialog should be the same port that you have forwarded to in your router. For example, in your router, you will have forwarded the Mezzmo server port (53168) to (say) port 1234. So you need to add 1234 into the Remote port edit box in the Mezzmo Server Settings dialog.

Next, go to the Web Access dialog and edit a user that you wish to use from outside your home (e.g. admin) and set the "Allow the user to access" checkbox to "Allow the user to access (Allow)" - meaning this user can access your Mezzmo server from outside your home. Exit this dialog and open it again. You should now see a valid web link under the "Web browser link to access your Mezzmo server outside your home" section. Make sure your Mezzmo server is running and you should be able to access Mezzmo server from outside your home using this user account :).

Paul
05-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Also, what is the difference between Console application and Windows Service?

Before Mezzmo v5.0, Mezzmo server always ran as a Windows service on your computer. This works great - but quite a few users had problems when they tried to access and stream media files from their NAS drives on their home network. The problem is related to access permissions issues where Mezzmo server running as a Windows service under (by default) the Windows Local System account could not access your files and folders on your NAS. This can be fixed with some configuration changes of your Windows service and/or NAS permissions (see FAQ - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/4597-FAQ-Accessing-files-from-external-computers-and-NAS-drives-on-your-home-network).

For Mezzmo v5.0+, we've introduced a new method of running your Mezzmo server - i.e. as a console application that runs under the Windows account that you are currently logged into. This fixes any of these access permission issues that NAS owners often complain about.

In general, we now recommend using the console application method as the simple, trouble-free method.

Hashybot
05-14-2016, 09:00 PM
If it's any conciliation, I had this working during the beta and it was working fine, but my upload speed is crap so the person I was sharing to couldn't stream it. It will work excellent on higher upload speeds. From memory once the port is forwarded, it auto creates a link that you can share externally.

Dopedogg
05-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Nope.. still not working. Turned off firewall, Port Forwarded 5100 for the open port in the router and Remote port value. I gave Admin "Allow" to access from the internet. I have a Synology media server that was just that easy to port forward for internet access.

Paul
05-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Perhaps we'll see what's going wrong for you in a set of Mezzmo logs. Turn on logging in Mezzmo (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Now use your web browser to try to access your Mezzmo server from outside your home network. When it fails to load, then stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo (Windows) app. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com. Also, take a screenshot of your web browser when it fails to access your Mezzmo server and email them to us as well.

jbinkley60
05-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Nope.. still not working. Turned off firewall, Port Forwarded 5100 for the open port in the router and Remote port value. I gave Admin "Allow" to access from the internet. I have a Synology media server that was just that easy to port forward for internet access.

Do you get the Mezzmo login screen ? If so, does the failure occur after you enter the login information ? What is the exact URL you are using on the Internet ?

Dopedogg
05-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Do you get the Mezzmo login screen ? If so, does the failure occur after you enter the login information ? What is the exact URL you are using on the Internet ?

No login screen.

URL: http://72.197.171.72:5100/web/login?user=Dopedogg (straight copy from the User Setting tab.)

Unable to connect/Problem loading page.

Paul
05-15-2016, 12:04 PM
Looks OK. Take a screenshot of the User Settings dialog and the Media Server Settings dialog and post it here.

Dopedogg
05-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Looks OK. Take a screenshot of the User Settings dialog and the Media Server Settings dialog and post it here.

And emailed you the logs you asked for.

Paul
05-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the logs and screenshots of your router settings. You have not added Mezzmo server's port (as seen in the Media server Settings dialog) into your router's settings so that's why it is not working. Add your Mezzmo server's port into the "Private Port" edit box and that should be better. Your Public Port is fine, just the Private port is wrong. Restart your router after making the change. Restart Mezzmo server as well. Let us know how you go.

Dopedogg
05-15-2016, 02:08 PM
Your the best!!!
But why doesn't my DNS (xxx.synology.me:5100) work? Am I going to have remember all that URL I posted above to access from the internet?
Tx. Dopedogg

Paul
05-15-2016, 02:16 PM
Glad it's working now :).

But why doesn't my DNS (xxx.synology.me:5100) work?

Not sure what you mean.

Am I going to have remember all that URL I posted above to access from the internet?

Yes - you will have to remember that web address. Just bookmark it in your web browser and all should be fine :). You can always click the Copy button next to the web address in the User Settings dialog to copy it to your clipboard.

Dopedogg
05-15-2016, 02:35 PM
I have a Synology DNS for my Synology media server. If i put in OutlawComputers.synology.me:400 on the webpage, I can access my media server anywhere away from home on the internet.
So if i'm out of town and want to access Mezzmo; I was wondering why/if I'll have to put in http://72.197.171.72:5100/web/login?user=Dopedogg to access it, or could i make OutlawComputers.synology.me:XXXX work?
Does the android app have the same features as the version 5? If it does then I could get to my files when i'm out of town just as easy.

Paul
05-16-2016, 09:38 AM
I'm not familiar with Synology DNS services, but it may be possible to use their DNS services to declare something like "OutlawComputers.synology.me:5100" and get it to redirect to "http://72.197.171.72:5100/web/login?user=Dopedogg". I suggest you check Synology's DNS tutorials/documentation on how to do this.

Dopedogg
05-18-2016, 02:36 AM
Playing with it... if i go OutlawComputers.synology.me:5100/web, that gets to the login page.
Sir, you've been a great help.
Mezzmo still has the best tech support i have ever seen.

Paul
05-18-2016, 09:01 AM
Great news :). Glad you are up and running now. And thanks for your kind words (much appreciated!).

pointner720
05-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Hey Paul, I got it to work. I can now watch videos remotely via a browser. Is there anyway to access my 'web access' with the mezzmo android app Picking the remote access as a server then casting it to a TV on the local network the Android device is connected to? Or failing that cast it to the Tv using the Web browser?

Peter
05-19-2016, 09:28 AM
You can use the Mezzmo Android app with remote access by going to the servers list when you are in the local network with the Mezzmo server on the PC and then long click on the Mezzmo server and select 'Make Sticky'. Then when you are in another network you can run the Mezzmo android app and the server will still be in the servers list, you can then browse the server using remote access (the app will prompt you to try remote access if the server cannot be found on the local network or you can long click on the server and select 'Remote Access'). Devices on the local network will appear in the device list and you can choose one of these to play files to from the Mezzmo server using remote access.

GBT
05-28-2016, 03:24 AM
Sorry for the lack of a tutorial or notes on this. We're currently writing it now for our new wiki. .
Hi Paul

Any news on when the wiki will be ready? Ive tried to configure my Win10 via Virgin superhub router setup and cannot get it to work.
Cheers

GBT

Paul
05-28-2016, 06:45 AM
Hi GBT,

We writing the wiki right at the moment, so hopefully 1 week away.

In your case, please take a screenshot of your router port forwarding settings, and a screenshot of the Media Server Settings dialog in Mezzmo and a screenshot of the User Settings dialog for (say) admin user. Email these to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we'll help you get up and running.

haiz
05-30-2016, 05:55 PM
mages were sorry I can not see you checking and uploading

MartynDav33
09-21-2016, 05:24 AM
Hi, wondering if anyone can help. I'm having trouble setting up remote access. I have set the ports to forward on my Technicolor TG582n for my PC's IP but I don't get the PC port number to input into Mezzmo. My router is notoriously rubbish for port forwarding so I think this may be the trouble. Also on the mobile app, when I long press the server name the only option I get is 'make sticky' and when I try to access it remotely it just hangs on 'browsing server' without prompting to try the manual log in details.

Not very techy so please be gentle! Any help greatly appreciated.

Peter
09-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Hi,
your router may not allow changing the port number when forwarding so you can try using the same port number for external access in Mezzmo, just put 53168 into the external port and then when the Mezzmo app discovers the server again it should have a checkbox for remote access when you long click on it in the list. If 53168 does not work you can try changing the port number in Mezzmo to 8090 for both the Media Server port and external access then change the port forwarded by your router to 8090 also to see if the server is accessible remotely.