PDA

View Full Version : What Exactly Does The Mezzmo Service Do?

kitsunegari
11-13-2010, 07:24 AM
I've installed the service, which I presumed was so thatthe Mezzmo Media Server can run when windows is logged off?

I only ask because so far I've had no luck - I have to remote into my server (I run it on a headless Windows Home Server box) then run Mezzmo in order to be able to connect on a DLNA device (Sony Bravia). Am I doing something wrong, have I not configured something, or should it be working?

Paul
11-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Mezzmo.exe is a Windows application that lets you add files to your Mezzmo library, maintain your playlists, start/stop your Mezzmo media server, and control what devices connect to your Mezzmo media server.

MezzmoMediaServer.exe is a Windows service and is the Mezzmo media server. It must be registered and listed in your Windows Services window. The service runs when your Mezzmo media server is running, and stops when Mezzmo media server is stopped. You never need to run it yourself. Use Mezzmo to start/stop your Mezzmo media server.

You control your Mezzmo media server using the 'Start/Stop media server' toolbar button in Mezzmo.exe, and change the media server settings using the 'Media Server Settings' dialog in Mezzmo.exe.

In the case of a headless WHS box, you will need to remote into your WHS box to run Mezzmo to add files, start/stop your media server, etc.

When your Mezzmo server is running, it will automatically detect DLNA devices on your home network. You do not need to manually add devices into the Media Devices dialog. If you have, I suggest you stop your Mezzmo media server, go to the Media Devices dialog and delete all devices listed there. Now start your Mezzmo media server and devices will be automatically detected by Mezzmo. If they are not, then either your computer or router is restricting communication on your home network (e.g. firewall, etc.). Let us know if you have further troubles.

kitsunegari
11-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Hmm could the service not be adapted to allow mezzmomediaserver.exe to run automatically? I'm sure I can't be the only person that would find this useful :).

Paul
11-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Just to clarify, when you switch your computer on, the Mezzmo media server service is run automatically. You do not need to log in or start Mezzmo.

You can control whether to run at Windows startup or not in the Media Server Settings dialog in Mezzmo.

kitsunegari
11-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Ah brilliant, so if my PC reboots (I've had this a lot recently with Windows Update), and I haven't logged in I can still use the server?

Paul
11-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Yes, as long as the service is set to start up with Windows (default setting).