PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo Service User

itman
06-10-2016, 11:45 PM
Hello all,

I installed Mezzmo current version (5.0.3) as a Windows Service. After changing the login of that Service to a dedicated user, I can't log into Web Console anymore. Does this "service user" need any specific permissions on Mezzmo folders to make it work properly?

Thanks

Keep it up guys!

ITMAN

Paul
06-11-2016, 06:59 AM
The dedicated Windows user account will need read/write access to your Mezzmo database folder (see Options dialog - General page), your transcoding folder (see Transcoding Settings dialog), your Mezzmo plugins folder (see Options dialog - Plugins page) and read access for the Mezzmo program folder. And, it will need read access to the folders where your media files are.

itman
06-12-2016, 05:25 AM
Awesome thanks!

ITMAN

itman
06-14-2016, 11:51 PM
I have granted read/write access to all folders you said - still not working. I'm reaching the Homepage of Mezzmo Website but can't login. It says password is wrong.
If I change the Service Account back to Local System Account it works fine.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

ftanner
06-15-2016, 09:08 AM
I have granted read/write access to all folders you said - still not working. I'm reaching the Homepage of Mezzmo Website but can't login. It says password is wrong.
If I change the Service Account back to Local System Account it works fine.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Try restarting the service after you've changed it to the actual user that you want it to be. The web interface works for me when I have it running as a specific user account.

Another thing that I may do different than you is that I don't have the login pre-populated. I go to http://{mezzmo_server}:53168/web/login page, instead of the one with an actual user account entered. I've encountered some password issues with the pre-populated logon. Try it that way.

itman
06-15-2016, 11:55 PM
Try restarting the service after you've changed it to the actual user that you want it to be. The web interface works for me when I have it running as a specific user account.

Another thing that I may do different than you is that I don't have the login pre-populated. I go to http://{mezzmo_server}:53168/web/login page, instead of the one with an actual user account entered. I've encountered some password issues with the pre-populated logon. Try it that way.

Hello ftanner,

I appreciate your input on this!
Every time I made security changes to folders or changed the login of the Mezzmo - Service, I bounced that service as well. (FYI even a reboot didn't change the result)

I am only accessing the Website through 'http://IP:PORT/web/login', didn't even know you can save a username into the URL. I also do not have any credentials saved.
I'm wondering if there's any kind of log file for the Website I can check where it's failing on...

I might also reinstall tonight just to make sure I don't have anything messed up!

Cheers

ITMAN

Paul
06-16-2016, 08:11 AM
Hi ITMAN,

If you can reproduce the problem, then we'd like to see a set of logs. Turn on logging in Mezzmo (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Now use your web browser to reproduce the problem. Once reproduced, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo (Windows) app. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

itman
06-17-2016, 02:54 AM
Hi ITMAN,

If you can reproduce the problem, then we'd like to see a set of logs. Turn on logging in Mezzmo (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) and restart your Mezzmo server. Now use your web browser to reproduce the problem. Once reproduced, stop your Mezzmo server and exit Mezzmo (Windows) app. Zip up all the logs and email them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

Well, we might be able to figure it out together. I have done the following so far:

- Base installed
- Activated Software
- Changed Mode to run as Service + changed Login of that service to my dedicated service account (none admin privileges)
- Granted the dedicated service account full access to:
C:\ProgramData\Conceiva
C:\Program Files (x86)\Conceiva
C:\Users\ADMINUSER\AppData\Local\Conceiva

On the last one it threw errors for the Temporary - Folders.

Now, I can't access the Website with the Password I have set up (also changing the password doesn't help), but if I login with Admin and a blank password I'm getting in.

Hope this helps, I also provided the Logs per mail.

Thanks and regards,

ITMAN

Paul
06-17-2016, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the testing notes. We'll analyze your logs and report back via email shortly.

itman
06-24-2016, 07:36 AM
Greetings earthlings,

I'm pretty sure I've got it finally running.

user A (Administrator)
user B (Starting as Administrator, will be used as service account later with no admin priviliges)

1. run mezzmo setup as user B (shift + right click -> run as different user) and base install
this will only work if user B is an Administrator

2. after mezzmo is base installed, start mezzmo windows application as user B

3. configure mezzmo (here is what I did)
- change database location to C:\Mezzmo\DB
- change logs location to C:\Mezzmo\Logs
- change transcodingfiles location to C:\Mezzmo\TranscodingFiles
- install mezzmo service (media server settings - run mezzmo server as windows service)
- change the logon for that service (windows key + r -> eventvwr, return, scroll down to Mezzmo - Service, right click properties, Logon)

4. edit security of the folders you moved mezzmo stuff in step 3 to full access for user B
additionally you need edit access to the following locations:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Conceiva\Mezzmo
C:\ProgramData\Conceiva\Mezzmo

5. start mezzmo windows application as your normal user
this will create all the mezzmo configuration from scratch

6. stop mezzmo service and exit mezzmo windows application

7. change db location to what you have configured in step 4
C:\ProgramData\Conceiva\Mezzmo\MezzmoServices.txt

8. copy all files from
C:\Users\B\AppData\Local\Conceiva
to
C:\Users\A\AppData\Local\Conceiva (yes override all)

9. remove Administrator privilege from user B as this service account shouldn't need it anymore if you set the permissions in s

And here the explanation:

Mezzmo seems to create configuration per user. So if we start mezzmo server as a dedicated user, it will create a mezzmo database and all settings within that service user's AppData.
To be able to start Mezzmo normally without "run as" I had to point my user's A configuration to the mezzmo service user's configuration. (step 7)

Thanks Paul for the great support on this.

peace out

ITMAN