PDA

View Full Version : Convert, Compact Files and Replace Original File?

jdlev
07-16-2016, 06:36 PM
Hi,

I have a bunch of .mkv files that are huge...like 4+ GB...I'd like to convert them to the format that my tv uses, and instead of placing them in a pretranscoded folder that takes up more space...how can i have it just replace the original file? I get that you can cut paste and delete the files, but prefer and automated option since I've got probably 50 videos I'd have to do this to. Thanks!

Paul
07-18-2016, 10:54 AM
Sorry - there's no automated way to overwrite your original file with a transcoded file. The recommended way is to right-click on the video in Mezzmo and click Properties dialog. On the Properties dialog, go to the Transcoding tab. Select the transcoded file and click "Save As" button to save the transcoded file to a folder. Then you can add the save file into your Mezzmo library and remove the original.

Note: Even though you are concerned with streaming to your TV right now, you may stream your videos to other devices in the future (e.g. tablet, smartphone, web browser, Kodi, etc.) inside or even outside your home, and each device/app may probably require different formats to play the file - so keeping the original file is recommended.

jdlev
07-31-2016, 03:06 AM
If I look in my transcoded files folder, there's a bunch of .mzt files with strange names, so I'm not sure which files are which? Should I just delete all the transcoded files and start over going one-by-one through my movie list and renaming them as I go along? Sorry for the questions...total computer noob...

PS...Is there a way so that if a file shows up on my tv, mezzmo will automatically pretranscode the file for that particular device? If so, how would I go about setting that up?

Paul
08-01-2016, 12:03 PM
The best way is to keep the transcoded files (*.mzt) and use Mezzmo (Windows) app to help you identify them. In Mezzmo, right-click on a video and click 'Properties'. On the Properties dialog, go to the Transcoding tab. Select the transcoded file and click "Save As" button to save the transcoded file to a folder. Then you can add the save file into your Mezzmo library and remove the original.

Mezzmo automatically transcodes your files when you try to play them, so there's nothing you need to do. Mezzmo knows what files to transcode and what files not to transcode based on the device profile that is assigned to your device in the Media Devices dialog.

TimC
08-01-2016, 06:09 PM
What format does your TV play?

If it's MP4 then there's a great , free program called Vidcoder that'll convert & shrink to MP4 & the quality is very good.