PDA

View Full Version : last position memory

krygi
11-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Hello,

if possible, it would be nice if the last position would be saved if you stop a movie.
It happens that want to stop a movie and then it would be nice if the next time start the movie it appears a message asking, if you want to continue the film or start from the beginning.

Jike
11-22-2010, 03:49 AM
+1 +1 .......

Why Mezzmo does not do this !

Paul
11-22-2010, 08:34 AM
This is up to the device, so unless a device asks Mezzmo for a specific starting position, Mezzmo cannot force a position on its own, since that would confuse the device :) Some devices do implement this and Mezzmo works just fine with those ones.

Jike
11-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks for your answer.

I'm using a Samsung C630 series, the profile used by Mezzmo is "Samsung C".

When i connect my TV to Samsung PC Share Manager, that's works, i can resume a playback to the last scene viewed.

When i connect to Mezzmo, that's does not work...

Paul
11-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Yes, that's because PCSM is using a special, proprietary set of functions to implement that. We do plan to replicate those sooner or later, so stay tuned.

Jike
11-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Many thanks !

I hope you'll fix it very soon, i'm very interested by this software.

MaxHeadroom
12-14-2010, 12:04 AM
+1
This is a must have feature!

NavySEAL
12-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Can anyone at Conceiva confirm if this is still in ACTIVE development or on the back burner?

This would be so excellent for ALL Samsung users!

Paul
12-14-2010, 08:35 AM
This has been paused, but it's high on the priority list. The reason why it was paused is because the current PCSM doesn't seem to support it, so we're not sure where Samsung is heading with their updates and if their firmware will remove this functionality completely from their devices.

Jike
12-24-2010, 06:01 AM
Hi,

Still not working with the last release of Mezzmo (v2.1.12.0).

Do you have a "debug" mode ? We can send you logs, if you want, to help you to make this feature working.

I'm still using Samsung PC Share Manager (That is not as good as Mezzmo !!) just because i can resume playbacks with it.

Pls, help us !!!!

Jike

NavySEAL
12-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Hi,

Still not working with the last release of Mezzmo (v2.1.12.0).

Do you have a "debug" mode ? We can send you logs, if you want, to help you to make this feature working.

I'm still using Samsung PC Share Manager (That is not as good as Mezzmo !!) just because i can resume playbacks with it.

Pls, help us !!!!

Jike

Jike,

Not sure if you are serious or not, but Dennis in the post right above yours said it is on hold.

Paul
12-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi Jike,

Which version of PCSM are you using? Thanks for the offer of logs - for the time being we're all set, but once more testing is done and work activates on this feature again (I'd say in January), maybe we'll need some additional information.

Jike
12-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi Dennis,

Where can i find my version of PCMS ?

Paul
12-27-2010, 08:18 AM
It's available on Samsung's site - find your TV there and then click the Support button to get a downloads list - there's firmware and PCSM there.

Jike
01-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi Dennis,

My version of PC Share Manager is 4.2, my TV is a LE32C630.

Tell me if you need something else.

Thanks.

badbob001
01-06-2011, 12:40 AM
This is up to the device, so unless a device asks Mezzmo for a specific starting position, Mezzmo cannot force a position on its own, since that would confuse the device :) Some devices do implement this and Mezzmo works just fine with those ones.

When you say "Mezzmo *cannot* force a position", do you mean that Mezzmo technically can't or that it shouldn't? I would love to have a global option to resume playback for at least the first video of a session. Perhaps resumed videos need to be transcoded on the fly? If you want to give users a choice, how about adding a 'Allow Resume' option to a playlist so we can create a playlist of the last 10 played videos that we know we can resume. It is quite annoying to stop in mid-movie and not have a way to resume or skip ahead.

Paul
01-06-2011, 08:38 AM
The way it works is that the device has to tell Mezzmo from where it wants to start playing, so if the device says "give me the movie from the start", we can't start from anywhere else. Some devices keep track of last played positions on their own and they'll tell Mezzmo to start elsewhere, but most devices will start from the beginning. Samsung actually writes a file to your PC to keep track of this and then loads this up. We can simulate this, but of course it's proprietary Samsung technique of doing things.

Jike
01-07-2011, 06:23 AM
So... let's go for a reverse engineering party !!!

You'll not be the first to do that !

But i think that your software must keep the last position viewed for any video file so it will be able to
work with devices who "asked" for a position to the DLNA or, in the Samsung case, with devices that are waiting for a position "proposed"
by the DLNA.

Paul
01-07-2011, 08:41 AM
We've pretty much reverse-engineered the whole thing, but at the moment the priority is on fixing a couple of other things. After those are done, this will go in as well - there's nothing hard about it :)

Other devices keep track of last positions themselves and resume gracefully, without the need for Mezzmo to do anything. As I mentioned earlier, if the devices does not support resuming, we cannot force it, as that'll screw up playback (since the device expects the beginning of the file and we're delivering something else). So, Mezzmo shouldn't keep last played positions, except in the case of Samsung devices ;)

Jike
01-24-2011, 05:42 AM
Hi Dennis,

Version 2.1.13 is online. Good !

I hope you will now work on the "last position memory" with Samsung devices... Please... please... I'll be a good boy... ;-))

Jike

Paul
01-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi Jike,

We'll get to it soon :)

Jike
01-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Very good !!

Many thanks !

Jike

Jike
02-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Hi Dennis,

Do you have some news about this thread ?

Jike

Paul
02-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi Jike,

Sorry for the delays in implementing this - it's still high on the to-do list, but our priorities are with getting the server as stable as possible and we're working on getting that done before anything else, really. Once we sort out the network drop-out issues and the like, I'm sure we'll jump back onto implementing this. Thanks for your patience!

Jike
02-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Ok, we'll wait...

Many thanks to you for replying to all of us very quickly !!!

Jike

haicim
03-11-2011, 04:31 PM
this feature would make my life happier

dmacean
03-12-2011, 05:53 AM
How about SONY BDP570? Would this "last position memory" feature work with it?

Paul
03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
How about SONY BDP570? Would this "last position memory" feature work with it?

"Last position memory" will work with any DLNA device *if* the DLNA device remembers the last position. Mezzmo does not remember the last position - it only delivers whatever a DLNA devices asks. So, if a DLNA device asks to start playing at (say) the 56th minute point of a movie, then Mezzmo will deliver the movie from that position.

I am not sure if the Sony BDP Bluray players remember their last position. Perhaps try it and see if it does.

haicim
03-19-2011, 04:08 AM
Mezzmo does not remember the last position
why not? :( the samsung software does this..
what mezzmo needs is to have an option available to enable storing the position in the database as a value, just as play count is, eg:
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/56/image1kv.png
make it like this

Paul
03-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Samsung software works differently - it's using a proprietary technique that is suitable only for Samsung devices (and not all of them actually). There is no way to force a device to play from some position, unless the device supports it. If the device says "let's start playing this movie from the beginning" and we give it something else, it just won't play, because it expects one thing and we give it another.

Jike
04-18-2011, 04:10 AM
I can read "New: Support for resuming videos on Samsung TVs." on v2.3.0.0

That's great ! I will test it right now !

I hope it's working well...

Jike
04-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Working fine for me !

GliMM
04-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Is there any information in regards of what Samsung device profiles this works on?
Im using Samsung B profile on my two Samsung devices but i have not been able to get mezzmo to give me the option to play any video from 'last viewed' position.
I am now using the latest (3.2.1) version.

Any suggestions?

Paul
04-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Our recent enhancement for resuming playback on Samsung DLNA devices is only applicable on Samsung D-series TVs, C-series TVs and BDP players, as they have the more recent firmware which allows this resume feature via DLNA. Unfortunately older Samsung devices do not allow this.

catharsys
04-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Hello,
first of all thank you very much for implementing the much (needed and) requested resume feature on Samsung.
It works great here, and everything works as expected.
I use other players from other brands and one thing most of them has on resume is that they resume about 4 or 5 seconds before the stop time.
Is it possible to resume the files not exactly on where they stop but -5 secs ?
It's not a "deal breaker" but would be a "nice to have"
I do believe that this would improve greatly the user experience.

Paul
04-26-2011, 08:15 PM
...they resume about 4 or 5 seconds before the stop time.

Nice idea and makes sense. We'll look into it.

GliMM
04-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Is there any plan to enable the resume feature for the Samsung B Devices?
Resume works on B devices using USB playback.
I think it works with SPSM i think, it was so long ago i used it..

Regards
GliMM

Paul
04-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Is there any plan to enable the resume feature for the Samsung B Devices?

We'll look into it. If SPSM can do it, then there's a chance that Mezzmo can also.

Gareth
04-29-2011, 04:36 AM
Just wanted to thank the team for implementing the resume function which is working perfectly on my Samsung LE40C650L1W. I must admit I recently upgraded the firmware on the TV (Link (http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=101&prd_mdl_cd=LE40C650L1WXXC&prd_mdl_name=LE40C650L1W&srchword=LE40C650L1W)) so I wasn't sure if this added the feature or it was Mezzmo!

Thanks again, this feature was really important to me - it's not often I can watch a movie in a single sitting and manually resuming was a pain.

Jike
04-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Many thanks to the team for implementing this feature.

As i promised, i bought the software after trying the resume feature.

Paul
04-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback. We are happy to hear it is working well for users.

JohnM
07-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I would like to point out that it could be possible to implement this for all players. It would require a two stage process where if turned on/enabled, all of the files would look like playlists. So I would select to watch movie A. Mezzmo would then expand the selection to Watch A from beginning and Watch A from where last viewed (on that device). Then Mezzmo would send the appropriate content to the device. This would work because the device would not be aware of it happening.

Paul
07-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Yes, it's an interesting idea. Technically it may require the duration of the movie to be reduced by the already played duration as well.

Let's think about this some more once the subtitle engine is released :)

badbob001
07-15-2011, 12:14 PM
I would like to point out that it could be possible to implement this for all players. It would require a two stage process where if turned on/enabled, all of the files would look like playlists. So I would select to watch movie A. Mezzmo would then expand the selection to Watch A from beginning and Watch A from where last viewed (on that device). Then Mezzmo would send the appropriate content to the device. This would work because the device would not be aware of it happening.

Another option is to have a special 'Resume' playlist that lists the most recently watched videos. And anything viewed from this playlist will resume from the last stop point.

Paul
07-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Yes, it's a possiblity as well, thanks for bringing it up!

Dion
08-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Any possibly of getting this supported for WDTV Live Plus models as well?

basilb
08-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Any possibly of getting this supported for WDTV Live Plus models as well?
Plus 1 that. My WD TV live hub seems to have problem with resume as well - hence finding thisthread.

Paul
08-08-2011, 09:12 AM
That solution would be universal, for any device, since it's just a playlist that you could access as you do other playlists.

fletch
11-18-2011, 03:15 AM
We'll look into it. If SPSM can do it, then there's a chance that Mezzmo can also.

I only recently noticed the resume option when playing from a thumb drive for the first time. Any further news on 'resume' for Samsung B devices?

Paul
11-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Does the Samsung B let you resume using SPCM via DLNA though? If it does, then yes, we can look into this further, but if it doesn't, then resuming is not supported via DLNA (thumb/USB drives are different to DLNA).

fletch
11-18-2011, 12:15 PM
My bad. Somewhat new to the terms. If SPCM is the Samsung PC Share Manager, then the answer is NO. Resume is not supported on "B" series except via USB. Which explains why I just now began noticing it.

Paul
11-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, sorry, missed a letter in SPCSM :)

Jike
08-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Hello again,

There is a problem with last version of Mezzmo (2.6.7.0) : Resuming is not working

It was working till the previous version....

Help....

Peter
08-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Hi,
please send an email to support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we will send you a patch to try.

jon123nyc
09-02-2012, 09:59 AM
So, my sony bdp bx57 allows me to begin the previously streamed file, as long as there wasn't another file played after it. Is this a limitation of the device or the software?

Thanks.

Paul
09-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Hi jon123nyc,

Unfortunately, that is a limitation of your device. Some devices only store the last file's stop point in their memory, whereas some devices can store a list of files' stop points. When a device requests to stream a file from Mezzmo server, it can request what part of the file to stream and Mezzmo server will simply deliver what was requested back to the device.

Jike
09-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks to support, resuming is now working fine again with the "v2.6.7.5" patch !

Paul
09-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the confirmation, Jike. This fix will be included in the upcoming release and will be available for all registered users.

dsimonas
09-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the confirmation, Jike. This fix will be included in the upcoming release and will be available for all registered users.

When this new version will go out?

Paul
09-14-2012, 07:02 PM
When this new version will go out?

Hopefully next week.