PDA

View Full Version : Subtitles through the browser

devildog
08-19-2016, 09:48 AM
I noticed my existing subtitle configuration that's worked well with Mezzmo and my STB's isn't working through the browser. My subtitles have all been embedded into MKV's so that my STB's all display them without issue. This isn't working when streaming through the browser with the same videos. I tried to move the .srt files to the same folder as the movie and made sure that both files are named the same but this still doesn't allow the subs to display through the browser. The only configuration I found that works is to manually select the subtitle through each video's subtitle setting. Once that's done, the subs are displayed through the browser without issue.

Is this the only way to get the subs to display through the browser or have I missed a step somewhere?

Thanks

Peter
08-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Hi,
try running Maintain Library and check the box to 'Update subtitles' and uncheck the boxes for 'Update media properties and metadata' and 'Update artwork' then select to 'Update all attributes' and this should find all the external subtitles and update the properties to have them selected and available for the web playback. Mezzmo can also auto-extract the embedded subtitles if you select this in Options in Mezzmo under Subtitles->Advanced and run Maintain library to update subtitles.

devildog
08-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Thanks Peter. I'll make the adjustment and do some more testing with your steps.

Are embedded subtitles in MKV's or other containers not able to be displayed through the browser due to some limitation or conflict with the container/subtitle combination?

Peter
08-19-2016, 11:26 AM
HTML5 Video only supports WebVTT subtitles and does not support subtitles embedded in the file so Mezzmo must convert them on the fly to WebVTT.