PDA

View Full Version : Transcoding? Doesn't appear to be

JustJack
11-25-2010, 05:50 PM
I stopped ripping my DVD collection at around 150 or so, since I wanted to make sure that I could stream them via DLNA to various devices before continuing. Here's the problem. I have a Samsung Captivate, and nothing I seem to do, nor format that I rip to, seems to be playable on that gizmo. I'd like to have a common high quality format to use for both my new TV (not yet purchased), my Windows Media PC, my son's Xbox, my phone, and my other family members' iPhones, with Mezzmo transcoding as needed for the various devices (one of the selling points). I downloaded Mezzmo today and installed it on my Windows Home Server, and I still haven't been able to get anything but plain jane AVI files to stream, especially to my Captivate. It auto detected the profile, so I'm using that. I've tried VOBs (my default for ripping, MP4, h264 and a few other formats, but keep getting "This file cannot be played" on my phone using AllShare. Isn't Mezzmo supposed to transcode up, down or sideways to a compatible format for a given device?

I read the ffmpeg issue elsewhere in the forums, but even at that, I don't seem to see ANY trancoding going on at all. It IS turned on, BTW.

Any assistance would be appreciated, as I've kinda sold the family on the concept of network connected TV... :-)

Paul
11-26-2010, 08:42 AM
The Captivate device profile doesn't include VOBs as a supported file type, so they should be transcoded. It's possible that transcoding fails. Can you please turn on logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then try playing one of the files on the phone, after it fails, stop the server and send the logs to support (at) conceiva (dot) com and we'll investigate.

JustJack
11-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Log files sent. The file I attempted to play was actually copied from my phone (m4v format, plays fine) to the server, logs cleared, failed DLNA playback on the Captivate, then logs retrieved and sent. Hope we can get this worked out.

Paul
11-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks - I'll get back to you via e-mail.

JustJack
12-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Dennis - Reopening this thread - Is there a way to tell the Mezzmo server what to transcode TO for a given DLNA device? This may be the issue with the transcoding for my Captivate. Rereading the "Video formats that Mezzmo can transcode to" section of the Format Support information section, I notice that it apparently doesn't transcode to AVI? Is there a way for me to specify what file/stream type to send to my Captivate? Maybe that's why it's not starting the transcode as we discussed?

Thanks again.

Paul
12-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Yes, the device profile describes what the transcoding "to" format will be. We can try and adjust the destination format to be AVI for the Captivate - what audio/video streams should we transcode to (if you know)? Please send an e-mail to support as it'll be easier to exchange device profiles via e-mail. Thanks.

JustJack
12-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Email has been sent. From what I found here (http://tinyurl.com/28tn2ro), my Captivate SHOULD handle whatever Mezzmo is trying to stream to it. I just wonder if changing the format to another may cause the transcoding to happen properly. If I can get a hint as to what changes are relevant to the output format, I'll be happy to play around with it. And bugger it. And ask for help again... :-)

Quick followup - I changed the format profile from Samsung Captivate to "Windows Media Player" and the transcoding DID start running. My phone didn't reject the stream, but it never did start to play. But at least the process started as it should have. Started building a wmv2 stream in the temp directory and whatall, just never started streaming to my phone.

BTW, my sources are all MP3 for audio, mkv for video.

Paul
12-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info - I'll get back to you via e-mail after I look over it.