PDA

View Full Version : Transcode issue

Christian
02-06-2017, 01:28 AM
I use mainly apple devices for playback. The program on the devices playing the videos is 8Player. Most of my videos have either been created on a canon camcorder or an iPhone.
I noticed that a few of my videos created on the iPhone have a much wider aspect ratio than others of that same type of video when played back on my Apple devices.

When I go to the transcode tab for each of these "wider" videos and set it to play "original file" it will play with the correct aspect. This seems logical to me given the file was originally created on Apple platform and the playback device is an Apple format. Still confusing is why "some" of the iPhone created movies do this and not others. However, my question is this....

How do I select as a whole that I only want to use the original file for all of my iphone created movies on my Apple devices without having to go into each individual movie's transcode tab?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Christian

Christopher
02-06-2017, 11:19 AM
We understand that wider video is a result of transcoding by Mezzmo, where setting "original file" is also playing the file well. That is a little confusing, as there is no need to transcode, what more transcoding is producing unexpected wider results. This should be investigated further.
You may try to "switch off" transcoding for all files, for particular media player by [Menu]][MediaServer][MediaDevices], choose to edit selected device, and switch off "transcode incompatible media files so they can be played on the device" under [Transcoding] tab.

Christian
02-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Turned off transcode incompatible files as suggested for that device. When trying to play video again, wide screen still played. However, when I went to the individual video, clicked on edit, transcode tab, and "use original file", it played with correct aspect.

If the file has already been transcoded and I perform your action mentioned in your response, it would seem it is going to still play the incorrect aspect until I go to that individual movie and edit to play original file. So..., how do I auto fix all of my videos of a certain file type to play the original file for a specific device?

It would seem that your suggestion might prevent the problem before it is transcoded but after transcoded, it will still do this. As to why it did it for some of that file type when originally played then transcoded and not others of the same file type is a mystery.

Thank you for your help.
Christian

Peter
02-13-2017, 09:22 AM
You can go to 'Media Devices' and double-click the device in the list then on the Transcoding tab click the button to delete transcoded files and this will remove any transcoded files with the incorrect aspect ratio. Then you can turn off transcoding by unchecking the box to transcode incompatible files so that they can be played on the device.

If you have some files that require transcoding then you can pre-transcode them or you can right-click on one of the iPhone movies that is wider when transcode and select 'Get FFmpeg Information' then either post this here or send it to support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we will send you an updated device profile that will play these files without transcoding.

Christian
02-20-2017, 11:15 AM
You can go to 'Media Devices' and double-click the device in the list then on the Transcoding tab click the button to delete transcoded files and this will remove any transcoded files with the incorrect aspect ratio. Then you can turn off transcoding by unchecking the box to transcode incompatible files so that they can be played on the device.

If you have some files that require transcoding then you can pre-transcode them or you can right-click on one of the iPhone movies that is wider when transcode and select 'Get FFmpeg Information' then either post this here or send it to support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we will send you an updated device profile that will play these files without transcoding.

I'm going to post two separate files below that I'm having trouble with for two reasons. The first, no sound when played on iphone from server. Will play sound to ipad however. The second is one having aspect issues when played back on iphone although created on iphone (issue discussed in previous posts above).

ffmpeg version N-78742-gf477849 Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 4.9.2 (GCC)
configuration: --enable-memalign-hack --arch=x86_64 --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=x86_64-w64-mingw32- --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-zlib --disable-postproc --prefix=/home/peter/ffmpeg/build/gpl64 --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl --extra-libs='-lx264 -lpthread -lstdc++' --enable-runtime-cpudetect --extra-cflags=-I/home/peter/cc32/include --extra-ldflags=-L/home/peter/cc64/lib --pkg-config=pkg-config --pkg-config-flags=--static --disable-w32threads --enable-libvpx --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libx265 --enable-libmfx --enable-gnutls --extra-libs='-lz -lnettle -lhogweed -lgmp -lidn -lws2_32 -lcrypt32'
libavutil 55. 19.100 / 55. 19.100
libavcodec 57. 25.101 / 57. 25.101
libavformat 57. 26.100 / 57. 26.100
libavdevice 57. 0.101 / 57. 0.101
libavfilter 6. 36.100 / 6. 36.100
libswscale 4. 0.100 / 4. 0.100
libswresample 2. 0.101 / 2. 0.101
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'G:\iphone movies\birthday\birthday (1).MOV':
Metadata:
major_brand : qt
minor_version : 0
compatible_brands: qt
creation_time : 2014-10-01 00:30:47
encoder : 7.1.2
encoder-eng : 7.1.2
date : 2014-09-30T20:30:47-0400
date-eng : 2014-09-30T20:30:47-0400
location-eng : +34.6028-082.6238+249.937/
model : iPhone 5s
model-eng : iPhone 5s
make : Apple
make-eng : Apple
com.apple.quicktime.creationdate: 2014-09-30T20:30:47-0400
com.apple.quicktime.model: iPhone 5s
com.apple.quicktime.software: 7.1.2
com.apple.quicktime.location.ISO6709: +34.6028-082.6238+249.937/
com.apple.quicktime.make: Apple
Duration: 00:01:27.70, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 16416 kb/s
Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x1080, 16342 kb/s, 29.98 fps, 29.97 tbr, 600 tbn, 1200 tbc (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : Core Media Data Handler
encoder : H.264
Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, mono, fltp, 62 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
At least one output file must be specified

<MEZZMO>: Child process ended with code: 109, ExitCode=1

---> DB Level Info: 41, 100
---> Frame rate: 29.98

configuration: --enable-memalign-hack --arch=x86_64 --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=x86_64-w64-mingw32- --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-zlib --disable-postproc --prefix=/home/peter/ffmpeg/build/gpl64 --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl --extra-libs='-lx264 -lpthread -lstdc++' --enable-runtime-cpudetect --extra-cflags=-I/home/peter/cc32/include --extra-ldflags=-L/home/peter/cc64/lib --pkg-config=pkg-config --pkg-config-flags=--static --disable-w32threads --enable-libvpx --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libx265 --enable-libmfx --enable-gnutls --extra-libs='-lz -lnettle -lhogweed -lgmp -lidn -lws2_32 -lcrypt32'
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'G:\iphone movies\cheer\cheer (32).MOV':
Metadata:
creation_time : 2014-05-26 20:57:55
model : iPhone 5
model-eng : iPhone 5
encoder : 6.1.4
encoder-eng : 6.1.4
date : 2014-05-26T16:57:55-0400
date-eng : 2014-05-26T16:57:55-0400
location-eng : +34.5483-082.6737+232.176/
make : Apple
make-eng : Apple
com.apple.quicktime.creationdate: 2014-05-26T16:57:55-0400
com.apple.quicktime.location.ISO6709: +34.5483-082.6737+232.176/
com.apple.quicktime.software: 6.1.4
com.apple.quicktime.model: iPhone 5
Duration: 00:00:04.88, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 17572 kb/s
Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x1080, 17635 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 600 tbn, 1200 tbc (default)
Metadata:
rotate : 90
Side data:
displaymatrix: rotation of -90.00 degrees
Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, mono, fltp, 63 kb/s (default)
Metadata:

---> DB Level Info: 41, 100
---> Frame rate: 29.97
---> Aspect ratio:
---> Duration: 00:00:04

Peter
02-20-2017, 12:02 PM
The audio is encoded as mono so this might not be supported by 8Player or this is triggering transcoding on the fly and the bitrate is too high for smooth playback. The aspect ratio issue would be caused by Mezzmo transcoding and not including the metadata 'displaymatrix: rotation of -90.00 degrees' from the file so that the iPhone does not know to rotate the video. Please try going to the properties of the file in Mezzmo and on the Transcoding tab click on Use Original file... to see if it plays the audio without transcoding and if it does then send an email to support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we will send you an updated device profile.

Christian
02-22-2017, 09:53 AM
The audio is encoded as mono so this might not be supported by 8Player or this is triggering transcoding on the fly and the bitrate is too high for smooth playback. The aspect ratio issue would be caused by Mezzmo transcoding and not including the metadata 'displaymatrix: rotation of -90.00 degrees' from the file so that the iPhone does not know to rotate the video. Please try going to the properties of the file in Mezzmo and on the Transcoding tab click on Use Original file... to see if it plays the audio without transcoding and if it does then send an email to support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we will send you an updated device profile.

Oddly enough, I had to reboot my computer for another issue and when going back to work on this problem, the first video audio file worked fine then when played on iphone.

However, did a couple of things for the second video. First, followed your advice...went to transcode tab for that video and clicked use original file as "preferred" (by the way for the iphone it showed "original file" and a transcoded file there and both were originally checked). When I tried to play it, it still was wide and then when I went back to file's transcode tab, it showed that both check marks were selected again for the iphone, almost as if I did not unclick the transcode tab first time. So..I then deleted the transcoded option that existed for the iphone listed for that particular movie but when played, was still incorrect. I was curious so I went back to the transcode tab again and out of nowhere, the transcode version appeared for iphone again along with "original" and both options checked. So I then went to "media devices", chose the iphone, edited and unselected the transcode tab there. Went back to the individual movie and made sure "original file" was only selected option, then tried to play and still was incorrect. When going back to the transcode tab once more for the file, it then showed the transcode option again. Not sure what to do at this point.

Again, thanks for your help.

Peter
02-22-2017, 10:16 AM
When you try to play the file on the iPhone if you don't refresh the listing then the URL will still have the information set to transcode the file. If the app you are using caches the listing then you may need to exit the app and then restart it and browse to the file so that the URL for the original file is used.

Christian
02-22-2017, 11:04 AM
When you try to play the file on the iPhone if you don't refresh the listing then the URL will still have the information set to transcode the file. If the app you are using caches the listing then you may need to exit the app and then restart it and browse to the file so that the URL for the original file is used.

I'll give that a try and report back.

Christian
02-24-2017, 07:27 AM

Okay, today closed the Mezzmo app on phone the way to close all apps for iphone so as to not have that cached data an issue. In Mezzmo on server, made sure for that one video, all transcodes under transcode app was cleared out and closed. Went back in to ensure that happened and it did. clicked then on "use original file" and ascribed that to the iphone. Went to media devices to make sure that the iphone was not going to be able to transcribe. The video still played wide. I then went to the video transcribe button and once again both a transcoded file and the original file had reappeared and were both clicked. I'm not sure what else I could have done in this case.

Christian

Christian
02-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Alright, feel dumb... but I may have solved some of this. Checked my IP address in iphone to make sure it did not change and it had. So when I was trying to make changes to the video file in Mezzmo under transcode tab for what I thought was the correct media device, it was not taking it because it was not the actual device's IP so figured that out. I'm not sure why that randomly changed since that was the LAN assigned from the WIFI router and does not ever seem to change.
Now, I was able to get the videos in question playing wide aspect to work with "original file" as expected. So...

I have numerous .MOV files and some play wide and some do not. Would you recommend I delete all transcoded files for this iphone device and start over? Also, If I leave my iphone setting under media devices - transcode - to not transcribe files, will it then start to have trouble playing other files I have (ie MTS and MP4). Would it be best to go into each individual .MOV file that is playing wide and tell it to play "original file" vs delete all transcode files?

Peter
02-24-2017, 09:34 AM
I would recommend deleting all transcoded files for the iPhone then edit the device profile to remove the maxbitrate setting from the mp4 container, it is currently set to 2000000 so this is forcing your files to be transcoded because they are over this limit.

You will need to:
1. Open Mezzmo and stop your Mezzmo media server, then exit Mezzmo
2. Go to your device profiles folder (see this thread for its location: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/467-FAQ-Where-are-device-profiles-located) and edit the MariiaSmeshkova8player.prf file in a text editor and look for <maxbitrate>2000000</maxbitrate> in the mp4 container then delete this text or set the limit to 20000000 and save the file
3. Open Mezzmo and start your Mezzmo media server

Christian
06-25-2017, 07:50 AM
I would recommend deleting all transcoded files for the iPhone then edit the device profile to remove the maxbitrate setting from the mp4 container, it is currently set to 2000000 so this is forcing your files to be transcoded because they are over this limit.

You will need to:
1. Open Mezzmo and stop your Mezzmo media server, then exit Mezzmo
2. Go to your device profiles folder (see this thread for its location: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/467-FAQ-Where-are-device-profiles-located) and edit the MariiaSmeshkova8player.prf file in a text editor and look for <maxbitrate>2000000</maxbitrate> in the mp4 container then delete this text or set the limit to 20000000 and save the file
3. Open Mezzmo and start your Mezzmo media server

I am sorry to revive this problem but still gives me trouble. Bear in mind I have done the above and did not see a difference. I have noticed two things:

1. When I use the original file, it is Rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise, has audio, and is delayed/ choppy playback.
2. If I let Mezzmo transcode this, it leaves a wide aspect, no audio but plays much faster.

All of these are .mov files created on an iPhone and utilizing 8player as app to play back on Apple devices (ie Iphones, Ipads, and Apple TV).

Peter
06-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Please go to 'Media Devices' and double-click the device in the list and on the Performance tab set the maximum bitrate to a very high value so that it will not get hit and trigger transcoding. The iPhone will record the video with a very high bitrate so streaming this file from the Mezzmo server to the device over wifi may be too slow and this is why transcoding to a lower bitrate improves playback, the problem is that transcoding is changing the container to mpegts which results in 8Player displaying the aspect ratio differently and uses mp2 audio which does not appear to be supported by 8Player anymore. As a test you could try editing the profile to turn off encoding for mpegts:

<avcontainer id="mpegts" name="mpegts" mimetype="video/mpeg" encode="0" supportschunked="0" >

and set matroska as the default format:

<avcontainer id="matroska" name="matroska,webm" mimetype="video/x-matroska" encode="1" format="matroska" supportschunked="0" level="30" preferredtranscoded="1">

Christian
06-27-2017, 02:07 AM
Please go to 'Media Devices' and double-click the device in the list and on the Performance tab set the maximum bitrate to a very high value so that it will not get hit and trigger transcoding. The iPhone will record the video with a very high bitrate so streaming this file from the Mezzmo server to the device over wifi may be too slow and this is why transcoding to a lower bitrate improves playback, the problem is that transcoding is changing the container to mpegts which results in 8Player displaying the aspect ratio differently and uses mp2 audio which does not appear to be supported by 8Player anymore. As a test you could try editing the profile to turn off encoding for mpegts:

<avcontainer id="mpegts" name="mpegts" mimetype="video/mpeg" encode="0" supportschunked="0" >

and set matroska as the default format:

<avcontainer id="matroska" name="matroska,webm" mimetype="video/x-matroska" encode="1" format="matroska" supportschunked="0" level="30" preferredtranscoded="1">

Tried changing under performance tab setting to from 100 Mbps to 10 Gbps and did not see a change. Did not try to transcode but then again I had the tab for that device unclicked for transcoding. So in a sense I forced the original but then got the 90 deg counterclockwise picture with normal aspect and sound. Was also still quite choppy and not viewable.

When I went in and changed profile settings as you have listed, did same thing.

As a separate but related issue, went back into devices by double clicking - transcode tab- then checked "transcode incompatible..." but changing the performance speed did not cause it to utilize the original file.

Peter
06-27-2017, 09:10 AM
The device profile has a 2Mbit limit on mp4 files <maxbitrate>2000000</maxbitrate> so if this is still set then changing the performance settings will not have an effect. You can try pre-transcoding the file to mp4 in Mezzmo then play it on the device to see if the aspect ratio is correct, this will reduce the bitrate also to help with the choppy playback.

Christian
06-28-2017, 02:51 AM
The device profile has a 2Mbit limit on mp4 files <maxbitrate>2000000</maxbitrate> so if this is still set then changing the performance settings will not have an effect. You can try pre-transcoding the file to mp4 in Mezzmo then play it on the device to see if the aspect ratio is correct, this will reduce the bitrate also to help with the choppy playback.

When you mentioned in a previous post about changing performance settings, did I not enter that in right location?

I will try later the MP4 transcode. Why do you suppose this is an issue where once before it never was ?
Is it an update to Apple's code doing this? It seems such a waist of data to transcode a video created on an apple device to play on an Apple device. With all the Apple devices on the market, I can not be the only guy with these issues.

Peter
06-28-2017, 09:45 AM
The device profile contains limits that can override the performance settings so if you did not modify the device profile prior to changing the performance settings then this value will override them. You can modify the profile using the instructions in the previous post http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/9096-Transcode-issue?p=35592#post35592

It is a problem with network bandwidth rather than a problem with the compatibility of the file with the apple device, the network cannot deliver the file fast enough to the player to allow smooth playback. You could try adding packetsize to the device profile <packetsize live="8192">1024000</packetsize> to see if this helps, see the ConceivaMezzmoAndroid.prf profile for an example of this.

Christian
06-28-2017, 10:49 AM
The device profile contains limits that can override the performance settings so if you did not modify the device profile prior to changing the performance settings then this value will override them. You can modify the profile using the instructions in the previous post http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/9096-Transcode-issue?p=35592#post35592

It is a problem with network bandwidth rather than a problem with the compatibility of the file with the apple device, the network cannot deliver the file fast enough to the player to allow smooth playback. You could try adding packetsize to the device profile <packetsize live="8192">1024000</packetsize> to see if this helps, see the ConceivaMezzmoAndroid.prf profile for an example of this.

I went back and checked...I have the device profile set at a maxbitrate of 20000000. Device setting under performance tab has maxbitrate 10 Gbps.

Tried adding packetsize suggestion and more less copied the way it was written in ConceivaMezzmoAndroid.prf. Still no improvement.

The video is choppy and turned 90 degrees counterclockwise so viewing it side ways. Audio is there. Double checked on the video in Mezzmo under transcode tab for that video and it is playing original file.

My home network has not changed; essentially running on a 5G /ASUS router. Video I'm trying to play might be 2 minutes long in this case.

As a test, I went back to view an older and even longer video that was created similar, .mov file on iPhone. I chose one that has never given me trouble with playback. Plays audio fine, normal aspect, no 90 deg turn and not choppy. Looking at the file, it did transcode and transcoded as preferred -mov,mp4,mpa,3gp, 3g2, mj2 (-h264-aac). I thought I would run a little test. I took the same video (this latest video created on iPhone) I have been working on with you not playing correctly and forced a transcode identical to the one that plays fine. It did not work. I then for completion went back to the "old .mov movie" that plays fine and tried to use "original file" with it and it came through choppy, turned 90 deg counterclockwise, same as the problem I'm currently having with the new movie.
So I then unchecked "original file" and had it play the transcoded file when I originally loaded it that it has above and it worked like a charm. So now my dilemma is this.
The only difference between those two videos is the time in which they were recorded. It was the same iPhone that recorded the older and the newer video, however an older ios I'm sure. But even if I try to currently use the same transcode for the newest video that worked on the older video, it does not work. That does not make sense.

Peter
06-28-2017, 01:09 PM
The transcoding of the newer file might be different because the maxbitrate value has changed in the profile, this can have an impact upon transcoding. Try setting the value back to 2000000 then save the file and after restarting Mezzmo try pre-transcoding it to mp4 again to see if it plays.

Christian
06-29-2017, 10:27 AM
The transcoding of the newer file might be different because the maxbitrate value has changed in the profile, this can have an impact upon transcoding. Try setting the value back to 2000000 then save the file and after restarting Mezzmo try pre-transcoding it to mp4 again to see if it plays.

I changed the maxbitrate back to 2000000 and tried to pre-transcode to Mp4 the newest video. When doing this, have sound, not choppy, but back to the original problem again of aspect ratio being an issue. Short and stubby picture. Again to test, I went back to the older video that had played correctly and now deleted the mp4 transcode that was done last year and tried to now pre-transcode again fresh. It played fine again. So the older video that has no problems was able to play just fine when pre -transcoded "then and now". But the new video, created supposedly with same format on an apple iPhone, does not want to play correctly when pre-transcoded and give this widened aspect. Again, it would seem that something has changed in the needed profile to transcode .mov files now as compared to then to get them to play correctly.

Peter
06-29-2017, 10:49 AM
Looking back at the ffmpeg information of the files you posted earlier in the thread I can see that the file that plays correctly has no aspect ratio specified but the file that has the aspect ratio problem contains a blank aspect ratio. Possibly you can try using the aspect ratio cohttp://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=fixing_aspect_ratio_issues_for_your_vi deos to see if this fixes it.

Christian
06-29-2017, 11:24 AM
Looking back at the ffmpeg information of the files you posted earlier in the thread I can see that the file that plays correctly has no aspect ratio specified but the file that has the aspect ratio problem contains a blank aspect ratio. Possibly you can try using the aspect ratio cohttp://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=fixing_aspect_ratio_issues_for_your_vi deos to see if this fixes it.

ill give it a shot and report back. What does not make sense though is that tonight I basically erased transcoding for both videos and re transcoded today anew. The old plays fine and the new does not. So if they were both identical they should end up I would imagine the same way and they do not.

Peter
06-29-2017, 11:48 AM
based upon the ffmpeg information the videos are not identical, something must have changed in the encoder on the phone because the newer file has an empty aspect ratio field.

Christian
06-30-2017, 10:15 PM
based upon the ffmpeg information the videos are not identical, something must have changed in the encoder on the phone because the newer file has an empty aspect ratio field.

Tried suggestion. Went to "fix aspect ratio yourself" instructions.

8 player does have a cog on the screen when watching the video that allows you to change your aspect ratio. However, when attempted, did not work for any options given.

Then tried pre-transcoding the video with directing for a specific aspect ratio as instructed. Attempted all 4 options, none seem to help. In fact, no change with all 4 options. No problem with sound or choppy playback, just short and widened aspect ratio. I am going to include the ffmpeg information for each scenario for comparison.

#1 16.9 to 4.3

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'G:\iphone movies\vacation\vacation (38).MOV':
Metadata:
creation_time : 2017-06-15 14:48:53
com.apple.quicktime.location.ISO6709: +24.7317-075.9705-007.461/
com.apple.quicktime.model: iPhone 6s
com.apple.quicktime.software: 10.3.2
com.apple.quicktime.creationdate: 2017-06-15T10:48:53-0400
Duration: 00:00:33.49, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 15383 kb/s
Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x1080, 15281 kb/s, 29.98 fps, 29.97 tbr, 600 tbn, 1200 tbc (default)
Metadata:
Side data:
Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, mono, fltp, 83 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
Stream #0:2(und): Data: none (mebx / 0x7862656D), 9 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
Stream #0:3(und): Data: none (mebx / 0x7862656D), 0 kb/s (default)
Metadata:

---> DB Level Info: 40, 100
---> Aspect ratio:
---> Duration: 00:00:33

#2 1:1

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'G:\iphone movies\vacation\vacation (38).MOV':
Metadata:
Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x1080, 15281 kb/s, 29.98 fps, 29.97 tbr, 600 tbn, 1200 tbc (default)
Metadata:
Side data:
Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, mono, fltp, 83 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
Metadata:
Metadata:

---> Aspect ratio:

#3 1:1 (Bigger)

Metadata:
Metadata:
Side data:
Metadata:
Metadata:
Metadata:

---> Aspect ratio:

#4 4:3 to 16.9

Metadata:
Metadata:
Side data:
Metadata:
Metadata:
Metadata:

---> Aspect ratio:

I did note however what you drew attention to which is at bottom of each, aspect ratio is left blank. Almost as if even though I directed to do a particular aspect ratio, it did not happen. Bear in mind, this was all tried on the "new video" as of 1 month. So I decided to go back and look at the older video from 1-2 years ago to see if that was also blank and it was. I am including that as scenario #5.

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'G:\iphone movies\cheer\cheer (3).MOV':
Metadata:
creation_time : 2011-10-13 22:44:41
Duration: 00:01:01.85, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 10715 kb/s
Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (Baseline) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1280x720, 10640 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 600 tbn, 1200 tbc (default)
Metadata:
Side data:
Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, mono, fltp, 63 kb/s (default)
Metadata:

---> DB Level Info: 31, 66
---> Aspect ratio:
---> Duration: 00:01:01

I did consider however with #5 (the old video) that on 6/27/ 17 post, I erased all the old mp4 transcode and tried to retranscode then to see if there was a problem handling that older video and having done that, I could have caused the same scenario where the aspect ratio showed blank. So I then took a whole other video that was older and one that I have not used in all this testing and that also has historically played with no problem. I'll include it's ffmpeg as #6.

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'G:\iphone movies\cheer\cheer (1).MOV':
Metadata:
creation_time : 2011-09-08 22:52:59
Duration: 00:01:13.39, start: 0.000023, bitrate: 10586 kb/s
Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (Baseline) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1280x720, 10512 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 600 tbn, 1200 tbc (default)
Metadata:
Side data:
Metadata:

---> Aspect ratio:
---> Duration: 00:01:13

Interesting it too does not have anything labeled as aspect ratio at bottom however plays fine. I don't think that is the problem.

Hopefully by me including this you can get more information and quicker instead of volleying this back and forth as we are now.

Peter
07-03-2017, 10:27 AM
The older videos are 1280x720 whereas the newer videos are 1920x1080 also the DB level is 40 on the newer videos and 31 on the older videos so this may explain the difference in streaming behavior since they will require more bandwidth causing the stuttering. The audio looks the same so I would expect that the player is dropping the audio due to the bandwidth issue playing the video and this is why you do not hear the audio when playing the original file. You could try going to 'Media Devices' then double-click the device in the list and on the Performance tab set the maximum resolution to 1280x720 then click OK and try playing one of the new videos.

Christian
07-03-2017, 09:51 PM
The older videos are 1280x720 whereas the newer videos are 1920x1080 also the DB level is 40 on the newer videos and 31 on the older videos so this may explain the difference in streaming behavior since they will require more bandwidth causing the stuttering. The audio looks the same so I would expect that the player is dropping the audio due to the bandwidth issue playing the video and this is why you do not hear the audio when playing the original file. You could try going to 'Media Devices' then double-click the device in the list and on the Performance tab set the maximum resolution to 1280x720 then click OK and try playing one of the new videos.

Attempted your advice above for use of the "original file" again; I had abandoned hope on it and was okay with transcoding if need be. It did not work. Stayed with all 3 problems when transcoding the original file if changing the setting above which is stuttering, 90 deg counterclockwise view and wide aspect.

I thought I would also trial your suggestion with pre-transcoding to mp4 and had still the one problem that exists if transcoding which is just the wide aspect.

At this point, I am fine if I have to use memory to transcode these files and not use the original file given I at least get the problem set to one problem and not three (ie only wide aspect is the issue then).

Peter
07-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Did you try setting the max resolution to 1280x720 in performance settings, this should make the transcoded videos the same resolution for old and new videos?

Christian
07-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Did you try setting the max resolution to 1280x720 in performance settings, this should make the transcoded videos the same resolution for old and new videos?

Yes. I set that as max resolution and tried all of what I did in last post with that resolution.

Peter
07-04-2017, 11:56 AM
The next step would be to compare the ffmpeg information of the transcoded files, can you please go to the properties of a new video in Mezzmo and on the transcoding tab select the transcoded file and click on 'Get FFmpeg Information...' then copy and paste this into a new post here and also do this for an old video so we can compare the transcoded files.

Christian
07-05-2017, 05:53 AM
The next step would be to compare the ffmpeg information of the transcoded files, can you please go to the properties of a new video in Mezzmo and on the transcoding tab select the transcoded file and click on 'Get FFmpeg Information...' then copy and paste this into a new post here and also do this for an old video so we can compare the transcoded files.

New video

Metadata:
Metadata:
Side data:
Metadata:
Metadata:
Metadata:

---> Aspect ratio:

Old video

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'G:\iphone movies\cheer\cheer (3).MOV':
Metadata:
Duration: 00:01:01.85, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 10715 kb/s
Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (Baseline) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1280x720, 10640 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 600 tbn, 1200 tbc (default)
Metadata:
Side data:
Metadata:

---> Aspect ratio:
---> Duration: 00:01:01

Peter
07-05-2017, 08:50 AM
This is the ffmpeg information from the original file, on the Transcoding tab of the properties there is a button to get ffmpeg information from the transcoded file and this should show different information. Can you please go to the Transcoding tab of the file's properties and then select the transcoded file and click the 'Get FFmpeg Information...' button to get the information from the transcoded file?

Christian
07-05-2017, 07:31 PM
This is the ffmpeg information from the original file, on the Transcoding tab of the properties there is a button to get ffmpeg information from the transcoded file and this should show different information. Can you please go to the Transcoding tab of the file's properties and then select the transcoded file and click the 'Get FFmpeg Information...' button to get the information from the transcoded file?

At the bottom of the movie selection there is a pic of a pen in bottom right hand corner . I right clicked on that and then went to the bottom and selected "get FFmpeg information " from there. So you want me to left click on the pic of the pen, go to transcode tab and then what. There are several named devices I use with MP4 listed for each. Do I right click on the one for the particular device?

......Okay I found it.....

New video

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'G:\Mezzmo transcoded files\13258AE0-93DE-42b2-9083-49AC651BFEB5\Video\6492-h264aac-libx264-aac-sn.mzt':
Metadata:
major_brand : isom
minor_version : 512
compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
encoder : Lavf57.26.100
Duration: 00:00:33.58, start: 0.023220, bitrate: 2077 kb/s
Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1280x720, 1946 kb/s, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 15360 tbn, 60 tbc (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : VideoHandler
Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 128 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : SoundHandler

Old video

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'G:\Mezzmo transcoded files\13258AE0-93DE-42b2-9083-49AC651BFEB5\Video\5475-h264aac-libx264-aac-sn.mzt':
Metadata:
major_brand : isom
minor_version : 512
compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
encoder : Lavf57.26.100
Duration: 00:01:01.91, start: 0.023220, bitrate: 1793 kb/s
Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 720x1280, 1657 kb/s, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 15360 tbn, 60 tbc (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : VideoHandler
Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 128 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : SoundHandler

Peter
07-06-2017, 09:39 AM
interesting, you can see the new video is 1280x720 whereas the old video is 720x1280. Possibly you could try swapping the max resolution values in the Device Settings then transcode the new video again to see if this makes a difference to the aspect ratio.

Christian
07-12-2017, 09:09 AM
interesting, you can see the new video is 1280x720 whereas the old video is 720x1280. Possibly you could try swapping the max resolution values in the Device Settings then transcode the new video again to see if this makes a difference to the aspect ratio.

Attempted swapping the max resolution as you suggested and did not make a difference with new video.

Peter
07-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Can you please check the ffmpeg information of the transcoded new video to see if it shows 720x1280 as the resolution, you may need to delete the existing transcoded file then pre-transcode it again to get the changes.

Christian
05-07-2018, 10:22 AM
I’m reviving a problem I have had for some time. Worked with Peter on this last year but frankly became frustrated ( and busy with other things) and stopped working it.

It involves playback of a few videos in the wrong aspect as well as as on occasion rotated usually counterclockwise by 90 degrees.
I’m using Mezzmo as the server on a windows machine running windows X.
I use 8player to view the videos primarily on Apple devices: iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.
Most of my trouble came about it would seem with time. I have had this setup for sometime but after awhile started happening. The videos that I have trouble with are mainly those taken on different iPhones. The videos that I had recorded on earlier versions of iPhones played with no issues. I notice that most of my problems exist when I recorded with my iPhone 6 ( others were 4,5,5S).

I have tried using the “original” format since after all I am watching an Apple created video on an Apple device. This brings about stuttering and on some ( not all) the picture is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. The aspect ratio can at times be fat and others it will be fine. If I try to fix the aspect ratio within either the viewer (8 Player) or by transcoding within Mezzmo, it still comes out fat.
If I try to use other various transcodes ( ie matroska or .mov.mp ,etc or mpegts) it gives a mixture of results.

I would really like to take a video or two I’m having trouble with and see if someone can help me find a resolution.

Peter
05-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Possibly try using a different app like Infuse instead of 8 Player to see if this works better.

Christian
05-08-2018, 10:01 AM
I’ll check on that .