PDA

View Full Version : Dolby/DTS on TCL UHD TV w/Roku

GirardinD
03-18-2017, 03:55 AM
Hi,
I have all of my movies ripped and stored on my PC (AUDIO_TS/VIDEO_TS folder format). My TV is a new TCL brand 4k/UHD TV with Roku built in (model 55US5800). I've been using the Mezzmo Roku app to stream these movies to the TV and it works great! The problem is that videos are being transcoded in only 2 channels so I lose the surround sound. The TV/Roku is being detected by Mezzmo as the Roku Streaming Player. Is it possible to create a new device profile for the TV with integrated Roku to include AC3 and DTS audio support, as well as UHD resolutions? (I don't currently have any UHD content saved to test this, but I assume it's transcoding down to 1080 or 720 with the current Roku profile.)

I'm loving how smooth the Mezzmo server and Roku app work! Keep up the great work! Thanks!

hartlenb
03-19-2017, 08:53 AM
I can't comment on UHD as I don't have that capability but the multi channel signal gets transcoded as a 2nd audio channel. You should be able to access it through the Roku options button (*).

GirardinD
03-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestion hartlenb. I hoped it would be that easy but unfortunately not. When I look at the options under *, the "audio track" option is greyed out with the selection as "default".

hartlenb
03-19-2017, 01:48 PM
Hmm, I'll check tomorrow, I know that support helped me with the same issue. I think you might need to use the beta Roku player.

GirardinD
03-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Thanks for any suggestions you have. I tried searching the existing threads, but couldn't find anything that helped.

Peter
03-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Hi,
The Roku only supports 2 channel AAC audio, we have had some users testing a patch that includes AC3 audio as well to try and get the Roku to pass this to the audio receiver. Please send an email to support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we will send you the patch.

GirardinD
03-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Thanks Peter, email to support has been sent.
I don't understand the difference from other apps, but I can confirm the Amazon and HBO Roku apps do send Dolby 5.1 to the receiver. Thanks!