PDA

View Full Version : "New" Fire TV Stick

steve+t429
04-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Have been using Mezzmo Android app with my Fire TV and Fire TV stick for sometime. Everything has been working fine.

I recently purchased the New Fire TV stick which has a different UI. Mezzmo app installed just fine and worked as expected. However, when trying to use it again after using a different app, it appears to be crashing as the device returns to the home screen after a brief period. A reboot of the stick allows the App to run again, but just one time.

My "old" Fire TV stick has just been upgraded to the new UI and that now exhibits the same behaviour. This makes me think that the change is a software rather than hardware issue. Would be grateful if you guys could investigate and hopefully come up with a solution.

smitbret
04-25-2017, 01:21 AM
Have been using Mezzmo Android app with my Fire TV and Fire TV stick for sometime. Everything has been working fine.

I recently purchased the New Fire TV stick which has a different UI. Mezzmo app installed just fine and worked as expected. However, when trying to use it again after using a different app, it appears to be crashing as the device returns to the home screen after a brief period. A reboot of the stick allows the App to run again, but just one time.

My "old" Fire TV stick has just been upgraded to the new UI and that now exhibits the same behaviour. This makes me think that the change is a software rather than hardware issue. Would be grateful if you guys could investigate and hopefully come up with a solution.

I am not sure exactly when it started happening but I also noticed this on my Gen 2 FireTV Sticks. I know that it was doing it on Saturday and Sunday (April 22 & 23) but may have also been doing it Friday evening.

If you reboot the FireTV stick then Mezzmo will work 1 time. If you then exit and try to reload Mezzmo, it just crashes back to the home screen until you reboot the FireTV stick.

steve+t429
04-25-2017, 01:58 AM
I am not sure exactly when it started happening but I also noticed this on my Gen 2 FireTV Sticks. I know that it was doing it on Saturday and Sunday (April 22 & 23) but may have also been doing it Friday evening.

If you reboot the FireTV stick then Mezzmo will work 1 time. If you then exit and try to reload Mezzmo, it just crashes back to the home screen until you reboot the FireTV stick.

That is exactly the same behaviour I'm seeing and i agree, just happening the past few days.

Peter
04-26-2017, 09:12 AM
I have reproduced the problem here and we will investigate to try to find the cause.

Update:
Our FireTV stick Gen1 here has not got the new UI update yet so we will keep testing. Looks like it might take a while for us to get the update http://www.aftvnews.com/software-update-5-2-4-1-rolling-out-to-all-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick-models-adds-new-interface-to-1st-gen-devices/
After rebooting the FireTV if I launch the Mezzmo app the Fire TV returns to the home screen but after a few tries the Mezzmo app is able to launch and exit without issues, I suspect the FireTV may still be loading and as it loads it returns the user to the home screen. Please try waiting until the home screen has completely finished loading then try running Mezzmo.

steve+t429
04-26-2017, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the info Peter.

Rebooting the Fire TV Stick is a workaround for the time being.

Peter
04-27-2017, 10:02 AM
I left the FireTV stick on overnight and it has the update now 5.2.4.1 (573210520), I tried reproducing the problem but was unable to. If I start Mezzmo then exit the app then start it again it works fine.

steve+t429
04-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Well, as you say, the problem isn't happening now:D so presumably there has been a change by Amazon. Thanks for checking this out anyway. Great support as always.

smitbret
05-03-2017, 02:51 AM
Well, as you say, the problem isn't happening now:D so presumably there has been a change by Amazon. Thanks for checking this out anyway. Great support as always.

I am still getting the issue FireTV version 5.2.4.1. I got the update on 04/19/2017 and that would be almost exactly when I noticed the issue.

It happens every time and is unrelated to the OS loading because if I have been watching something on Mezzmo, exit Mezzmo and then come back it just fails to open.

Peter
05-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Can you please check the build version that appears in the brackets next to 5.2.4.1 to see if it matches mine? Also please try going to Settings then Manage Applications and select Mezzmo then try forcing the app to stop and launch it again to see if this works.

steve+t429
05-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Can you please check the build version that appears in the brackets next to 5.2.4.1 to see if it matches mine? Also please try going to Settings then Manage Applications and select Mezzmo then try forcing the app to stop and launch it again to see if this works.
FYI, here are the Software build versions for the three Fire devices I have:-

Fire TV (1st Gen) 5.2.4.1 (573210520)
Fire TV Stick (1st Gen) 5.2.4.1 (573210520)
Fire TV Stick (2nd Gen) 5.2.4.1 (573210620)

And I can confirm there are currently no issues when re-opening the App on any of the devices.

smitbret
05-04-2017, 11:39 AM

The build version is:

Peter
05-04-2017, 12:23 PM
It looks like the build version is the same. Please let us know if stopping the app from Manage Applications allows it to run again.

smitbret
05-09-2017, 09:39 AM
It looks like the build version is the same. Please let us know if stopping the app from Manage Applications allows it to run again.

Yes, if I stop Mezzmo from <Manage Applications> then I don't have to restart the FireTV to get back in to Mezzmo.

Now my FireTV box is doing it.... twice this weekend

Peter
05-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Are you exiting the Mezzmo app or just pressing the home button to return to the main menu of the Fire TV? If you are exiting the app please try leaving it running and just use the home button on the remote to return to the menu or if you are just using the home button please try exiting the app from the menu. We have tested here and if we exit the app we can always return to it, we will try leaving it running to see if this is causing the issue.

smitbret
05-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Are you exiting the Mezzmo app or just pressing the home button to return to the main menu of the Fire TV? If you are exiting the app please try leaving it running and just use the home button on the remote to return to the menu or if you are just using the home button please try exiting the app from the menu. We have tested here and if we exit the app we can always return to it, we will try leaving it running to see if this is causing the issue.

That makes sense. We generally just hit the <home> button and then try to jump back in. I will mess with it tomorrow and see if I get any repeatable results.

smitbret
05-12-2017, 01:15 AM
That makes sense. We generally just hit the <home> button and then try to jump back in. I will mess with it tomorrow and see if I get any repeatable results.

Yep, if I exit the app using <exit> then it seems that I can reopen Mezzmo from the FireTV without an issue. Pressing <Home> and then trying to get back in is usually a losing proposition.

Peter
05-12-2017, 09:15 AM
On the FireTV here I can press the home button and then return to the app without a problem, I am doing this from the media list so possibly it only happens in a specific part of the app? Can you please tell us if you are pressing the home button from a different part of the app or if you open the app then press the home button and then try to open the app again will the problem occur or does it only happen after a specific set of actions?

smitbret
05-19-2017, 03:42 AM
On the FireTV here I can press the home button and then return to the app without a problem, I am doing this from the media list so possibly it only happens in a specific part of the app? Can you please tell us if you are pressing the home button from a different part of the app or if you open the app then press the home button and then try to open the app again will the problem occur or does it only happen after a specific set of actions?

After playing around with this for few days I can say that the app will always reopen properly after being properly closed or shutdown (Exit, Force Stop, Device Restart). I haven't been able to isolate when it hangs. I just know that 3 out of 4 times if I use the home button instead of exiting or if the FireTV Stick is allowed to sleep and then wake up then Mezzmo will not open.

Peter
05-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Understand, thanks for testing. We will keep trying to reproduce the problem here so that we can try to fix it.

smitbret
07-01-2017, 07:38 AM
Understand, thanks for testing. We will keep trying to reproduce the problem here so that we can try to fix it.

Just got an app update on my phone from Google Play.

Will this new version address this issue with the FireTV once it is released at the Amazon App Store?

Peter
07-03-2017, 08:50 AM
The same update has already been released in the Amazon app store, it does not contain a fix for the FireTV issue as we have not been able to reproduce the problem here yet.

smitbret
09-02-2017, 09:12 AM
I have reproduced the problem here and we will investigate to try to find the cause.

Update:
Our FireTV stick Gen1 here has not got the new UI update yet so we will keep testing. Looks like it might take a while for us to get the update http://www.aftvnews.com/software-update-5-2-4-1-rolling-out-to-all-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick-models-adds-new-interface-to-1st-gen-devices/
After rebooting the FireTV if I launch the Mezzmo app the Fire TV returns to the home screen but after a few tries the Mezzmo app is able to launch and exit without issues, I suspect the FireTV may still be loading and as it loads it returns the user to the home screen. Please try waiting until the home screen has completely finished loading then try running Mezzmo.

Just digging back into this as it is the most nagging issue that I have right now. All 4 of my FireTV devices (3 Sticks and a Box all Gen 2) exhibit the same behavior. I have done factory resets on two of them with no change. At this point I have installed SPMC with the Mezzmo Plugin on the box and one of the sticks as a workaround but it's not as user friendly as Mezzmo App+VLC when it comes to using the FireTV remote controls.

A couple of things I have noticed after the last few months of this-

#1 If I exit the Mezzmo App improperly (Home Button instead of exiting from the Mezzmo Menu), I can re enter the app if I IMMEDIATELY select it. I am talking one or two seconds between hitting the home button and re-selecting the Mezzmo App. There is no time to think about "Oh crap, I exited wrong". If I wait 4 or 5 seconds it's too late, the app has to be stopped from the Settings or the device has to be restarted.

#2 If I go into the Apps Menu of the FireTV where it shows all of the installed and cloud apps there is something that looks like a thin progress bar at the bottom of the Mezzmo icon. It's "progress" animation is a very fast scroll from left to right across the bottom of the icon. Mezzmo is the only app I have ever seen with this feature. Thought it was strange and may be completely unrelated.

Peter
09-04-2017, 08:39 AM
We will release an update of the app today which may resolve the problem, this update will prevent the use of the app Notification on TV devices which do not show the Notification anyway. Not sure about issue #2 as I have not seen this before.

smitbret
09-05-2017, 01:26 PM
We will release an update of the app today which may resolve the problem, this update will prevent the use of the app Notification on TV devices which do not show the Notification anyway. Not sure about issue #2 as I have not seen this before.

Peter, I pulled down the update on two of my FTV sticks and I can confirm that the issue seems to be gone.

Fantastic. Thank you.

Peter
09-05-2017, 02:16 PM
Great to hear, thanks for the quick confirmation.