PDA

View Full Version : looking for WD TV replacement (again :( )

HomerRamone
07-25-2017, 05:51 AM
I asked this before some time ago - but I still havent found a good solution.

My WD TV box is getting a bit rickety and im looking for something to replace it. Ive still not found anything that ticks all the boxes.
I have a Pioneer VSX 930 amp that supports DD, DTS (Including the HD versions). Im looking for a box that will:
Play from my mezzmo server w/o transcoding. My media is mostly H264 MKV files some in DD some in DTS (some in HD versions of these) and number of dolby Surround and plain ol stereo files too.
If possibly something that plays Amazon Prime too.
The amp is connected to both a TV and Projector - The TV for TV shows, the projector for movies.

I've tried the following:

Fire TV (box - not stick).
This will play the movies just fine - but ive yet hear any DD/DTS audio from it - STEREO is all I seem to get.

Several android boxes (mostly seemingly running KODI). I think I had a couple of these actually give me digital audio however, there is (or was) and issue with kodi and mezzmo caching the playlists. As I have several "Random" playlists this is no good - because it caches the list once and then ignores any updates to it. Hence I get the same thing each time I open the list.

NVidia shield.
Tried this tonight - and much as with the amazon fire it plays movies just fine but no digitial audio.

Most of these are of course android boxes - ive tried a few different apps on them - Mezzmo, VLC etc and still I cant seem to get digital audio.

Surely there has to be something out there that can do the same as the aging WD box !

Help !!

Thanks in advance.

smitbret
07-25-2017, 06:23 AM
I asked this before some time ago - but I still havent found a good solution.

My WD TV box is getting a bit rickety and im looking for something to replace it. Ive still not found anything that ticks all the boxes.
I have a Pioneer VSX 930 amp that supports DD, DTS (Including the HD versions). Im looking for a box that will:
Play from my mezzmo server w/o transcoding. My media is mostly H264 MKV files some in DD some in DTS (some in HD versions of these) and number of dolby Surround and plain ol stereo files too.
If possibly something that plays Amazon Prime too.
The amp is connected to both a TV and Projector - The TV for TV shows, the projector for movies.

I've tried the following:

Fire TV (box - not stick).
This will play the movies just fine - but ive yet hear any DD/DTS audio from it - STEREO is all I seem to get.

Several android boxes (mostly seemingly running KODI). I think I had a couple of these actually give me digital audio however, there is (or was) and issue with kodi and mezzmo caching the playlists. As I have several "Random" playlists this is no good - because it caches the list once and then ignores any updates to it. Hence I get the same thing each time I open the list.

NVidia shield.
Tried this tonight - and much as with the amazon fire it plays movies just fine but no digitial audio.

Most of these are of course android boxes - ive tried a few different apps on them - Mezzmo, VLC etc and still I cant seem to get digital audio.

Surely there has to be something out there that can do the same as the aging WD box !

Help !!

Thanks in advance.

It won't do Amazon Prime but it ticks everything else

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/76-htpc-linux-chat/2581649-75-server-media-client.html

with OpenELEC or LibreELEC and the Mezzmo Plug-In

The C2 is $60 on Amazon

For HTPC use, the Odroid C2 would probably be fine but things might be a little smoother with the XU4

Just a disclaimer, I have never used these but they are basically a Raspberry Pi with the ability to bitstream HD Audio and a Gigabit network connection.

My Raspberry Pi 2 with LibreELEC was fantastic for a couple of years and is still my go to for local media playback. I don't need HD Audio.

HomerRamone
07-25-2017, 08:02 AM
It won't do Amazon Prime but it ticks everything else

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/76-htpc-linux-chat/2581649-75-server-media-client.html

with OpenELEC or LibreELEC and the Mezzmo Plug-In

The C2 is $60 on Amazon

For HTPC use, the Odroid C2 would probably be fine but things might be a little smoother with the XU4

Just a disclaimer, I have never used these but they are basically a Raspberry Pi with the ability to bitstream HD Audio and a Gigabit network connection.

My Raspberry Pi 2 with LibreELEC was fantastic for a couple of years and is still my go to for local media playback. I don't need HD Audio.

Thanks for the pointer - but isn't is just running a version of kodi ?
Or does the mezzmo plugin for kodi resolve the playlist issue (and still allow digital passthru to HDMI).

Peter
07-25-2017, 08:50 AM
The Mezzmo plugin for Kodi will resolve the playlist caching issue as the plugin loads the playlist directly from the server each time you browse. Files are played using Kodi's player so digital passthru should still work.