PDA

View Full Version : large libraries?

RichardP
10-14-2017, 04:31 PM
This is my final thread for now as I explore my new Mezzmo install.

My media library is almost 100% music tracks, mostly mp3 files with a few flac's, ogg's, m4a's and maybe a few others thrown in. I did a test import of one folder tree which brought in about 700 files. It took a few minutes (maybe 5? 10?) for all the jobs to quit running. My fear is, if I let Mezzmo scan my entire on-disk library of 330,000-plus music files, it might take days or weeks! That would be a problem.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences to share bringing in this many files? How big will the database grow to?

Thanks in advance.

smitbret
10-15-2017, 11:29 PM
This is my final thread for now as I explore my new Mezzmo install.

My media library is almost 100% music tracks, mostly mp3 files with a few flac's, ogg's, m4a's and maybe a few others thrown in. I did a test import of one folder tree which brought in about 700 files. It took a few minutes (maybe 5? 10?) for all the jobs to quit running. My fear is, if I let Mezzmo scan my entire on-disk library of 330,000-plus music files, it might take days or weeks! That would be a problem.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences to share bringing in this many files? How big will the database grow to?

Thanks in advance.

I gave up on Mezzmo for music. It just can't seem to handle large libraries well. I only have about 30000 tracks and when I import them Mezzmo slows to a crawl; the interface locks up, moving between folders takes forever (3-4 minutes), etc. It only takes a couple of hours for it to scan in, but once they are in the library Mezzmo becomes almost unusable.

I just uploaded everything to Google Music and Amazon Music. That way I have the offsite backup of everything and I can stream to my mobile devices.

Paul
10-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Mezzmo is fine with large libraries (videos, music or photos). When adding music, the time taken to add the music files is directly related to the metadata collection - mostly related to getting album art for your music tracks. If you have album art embedded in your music files or have artwork files alongside the music files in the same folder, then this should be fast. If no album art is available locally, then (by default) Mezzmo will try to get matching album art from the internet. This takes longer.

You have full control what metadata you want Mezzmo to collect and where to collect it from using the Metadata Retrieval Settings dialog (see http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=metadata_retrieval_settings and http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=retrieving_metadata). I suggest you add a few folders of music and see the results. If you are finding it takes too long or metadata is missing, then go to the Metadata Retrieval Settings dialog and adjust the settings as you like and then add some more folders of music.

Also, if you find that you are getting issues that smitbret mentions, then please let us know. That should not happen and we want to fix that problem.

Let us know how you go.

hsbrown2
10-19-2017, 05:50 AM
Mezzmo is fine with large libraries (videos, music or photos). When adding music, the time taken to add the music files is directly related to the metadata collection - mostly related to getting album art for your music tracks. If you have album art embedded in your music files or have artwork files alongside the music files in the same folder, then this should be fast. If no album art is available locally, then (by default) Mezzmo will try to get matching album art from the internet. This takes longer.

You have full control what metadata you want Mezzmo to collect and where to collect it from using the Metadata Retrieval Settings dialog (see http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=metadata_retrieval_settings and http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=retrieving_metadata). I suggest you add a few folders of music and see the results. If you are finding it takes too long or metadata is missing, then go to the Metadata Retrieval Settings dialog and adjust the settings as you like and then add some more folders of music.

Also, if you find that you are getting issues that smitbret mentions, then please let us know. That should not happen and we want to fix that problem.

Let us know how you go.

Agreed.

I have over 1,000,000 individual tracks and I pre-tag everything.

ANY media server would struggle if you’re letting it go out and fetch that much metadata from the internet.

I have all metadata fetching from the web disabled. Once the metadata has been indexed and I confirm it’s correct, I lock the data.

Even if I done a full database rebuild, it doesn’t take more than a few hours.

On top of that, you need a fast modern machine, for a lot of reasons. If you have that much music, you should probably set up a dedicated server.