PDA

View Full Version : FlashGot & DownloadStudio can't download YouTube videos

WillPittenger
11-25-2017, 05:03 AM
I use Pale Moon 27.6.1 64-bit (a Firefox fork), DownloadStudio 10.0.3.0, and FlashGot 1.5.6.14 (probably the most recent version compatible with PM). When I have FlashGot set to download media using DownloadStudio and try to download YouTube videos, DownloadStudio commonly gets confused and downloads videoplayback instead of the video. Do you know of an issue that might be causing this?

Below is the string I used to tell DownloadStudio what to do. Is something wrong here?

<downloadstudio><originator>firefox</originator><script><add_jobs display_dialog=yes><joblist><job> [<url>URL</url>] [<url_list_file>UFILE</url_list_file>]
[<file>FNAME</file>]
[<referer>REFERER</referer>] [<post_data>POST</post_data>] [<cookie>COOKIE</cookie>] </job></joblist></add_jobs></script></downloadstudio>

WillPittenger
11-25-2017, 05:47 AM
All videos downloaded have also lacked sound.

Peter
11-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Hi,
videoplayback is the name YouTube uses in the video URL, if Mezzmo gets a video URL from the browser addon instead of the page URL then the name of the video will not be able to be resolved and videoplayback will be used as the name. When you add the download job make sure the URL is a video page URL and not a video stream URL, the video page URL typically starts with https://www.youtube.com/v=.

downloadstudio may be downloading the 1080p stream from YouTube which is broken into the audio and video streams by YouTube, if you send an email to support [at] conceiva [dot] com we can send you the latest patch which should help with this issue.

WillPittenger
11-27-2017, 04:57 PM
I don't have Mezzmo. Did you see anyhting wrong with that string I gave FlashGot?

Peter
11-28-2017, 09:11 AM
Sorry, I should have said 'if DownloadStudio gets a video URL from the browser addon instead of the page URL then the name of the video will not be able to be resolved and videoplayback will be used as the name'. The string you gave FlashGot looks correct so if FlashGot passes the title of the video through to DownloadStudio then the file should get named correctly.

WillPittenger
11-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Sorry, I should have said 'if DownloadStudio gets a video URL from the browser addon instead of the page URL then the name of the video will not be able to be resolved and videoplayback will be used as the name'. The string you gave FlashGot looks correct so if FlashGot passes the title of the video through to DownloadStudio then the file should get named correctly. I installed the patch. But while the default file name was correct, a 51 MB file was downloaded as just 820 bytes. It didn't play at all. DownloadStudio didn't act like I was trying to download a webpage.

Peter
11-28-2017, 03:47 PM
If you open the file in a text editor does it show as a web page or a binary file?

WillPittenger
11-28-2017, 04:18 PM
If you open the file in a text editor does it show as a web page or a binary file? Neither. It's a text file with the URL.

Peter
11-29-2017, 09:11 AM
If you copy the URL of the page hosting the video and add it to DownloadStudio as a download job does the video download?

WillPittenger
12-01-2017, 01:26 AM
Negative. DownloadStudio creates the job--extremely slowly. I almost gave up. Once the job was "Connecting", it just sat there with no activity. So I killed it.

BTW: I tried downloading a YouTube video on a different computer with FlashGot installed on PM and DownloadStudio. I got a webpage with that test. Please note that computer doesn't have the patch installed. However, the PM profile is much older and runs on Windows 10.

Peter
12-01-2017, 11:09 AM
I tried it here using FlashGot in Pale Moon and I get the video with the title videoplayback when using FlashGot Media to download, if I use FlashGot Link then I get the page URL added to DownloadStudio and the video downloads. Possibly you could contact the FlashGot developer to get them to set the FNAME value to the page title when downloading from YouTube?

WillPittenger
12-01-2017, 11:58 AM
I created a post in their forums. No response yet. Should I cross-link the threads?

Peter
12-01-2017, 12:40 PM
It may help if you cross-link the threads to give them a better idea of the end goal.

WillPittenger
12-01-2017, 01:10 PM
FlashGot & DownloadStudio can't download YouTube videos (https://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23789)

WillPittenger
07-24-2019, 08:17 AM
I'm now using youtube-dl.exe for Windows. You can download it from https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl.