PDA

View Full Version : is mezzmo multithreaded?

adiamond
12-06-2010, 06:14 AM
i.e. is the decoding multi threaded (i.e. would a quad core be better than dual). I'm inferring not because this is in the help:

Maximum number of audio/video transcoders
Depending on the CPU in your computer, you can have multiple transcoders running at one time. This allows you to deliver files to multiple devices on your home network at the one time.

Paul
12-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Yes, both Mezzmo and FFmpeg (used for transcoding) are multithreaded. A quad core would certainly be better than a dual core for Mezzmo in most cases.

Aaron407
02-01-2011, 04:16 AM
Is it safe to assume that a hyperthreading quad core would be overkill? I'm looking to build a computer specifically for running Mezzmo to two devices and I have the choice between quad core and quad core HT, but the HT is obviously more expensive. If Mezzmo can utilize all cores without hyperthreading I'd just settle for the basic quad core.

smitbret
02-27-2012, 05:42 AM
I was getting some stuttering on a wired setup while transcoding a BR RIP. When I checked the Task Manager, FFMPEG was only using about 40% of the CPU. Noticed that CPU 2 was nearly pegged, but the other 3 were running about 20%. Is there someplace in FFMPEG that I need to change the settings? Mezzmo is set to use all cores of an AMDx4 Phenom II 955.

Paul
02-27-2012, 10:42 AM
I was getting some stuttering on a wired setup while transcoding a BR RIP. When I checked the Task Manager, FFMPEG was only using about 40% of the CPU. Noticed that CPU 2 was nearly pegged, but the other 3 were running about 20%. Is there someplace in FFMPEG that I need to change the settings? Mezzmo is set to use all cores of an AMDx4 Phenom II 955.

It depends on the format that you are transcoding to (some are better optimized for multithreading than others - this will be fixed/improved in the upcoming 2.5.1). To change the number of threads FFmpeg uses, open up the device profile file and change the "-threads" parameter in "<ffmpegadditional>" to specify the number of cores/threads FFmpeg will utilize. It doesn't necessarily mean that FFmpeg will actually use all of them, but if it's set to "-threads 4", for example, it may help to change it to "-threads 8".